New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pair of Springfields
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nothing against the Mosin-Nagant, but we need to get something else going on here. I have been playing with Imgur as a replacement for photobucket. Thought I'd just drop this here and see what happens.

John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on Springfields, but I know there's something different about the bottom one (on account of I sees that small magazine poking out of the floorplate.) What am I looking at?

Both are very nice pieces, by the way.

One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be wrong but the bottom looks like a m1922 in .22.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct, bottom is a 1922.

Both were sold from SA within a month of each other to a Mr. White from Cleveland. They then went to Hart Arms in Cleveland to be built into matching sporting rifles. I suspect the scopes were added at a later date. I suspect the stock maker was either Dubiel or Rodgers. Rodgers did not develop many of his unique touches until later in his career. His early stocks are indistinguishable from a Dubiel to me. Keep in mind they both worked at Hoffman before they moved to Ardmore. Dubiel went with them to Oklahoma, while Rodgers opened up his own shop on the family farm in Slippery Rock PA until Arthur Hart convinced him to come to work for him. It was at this time that Rodgers developed his unique style. I believe there was a lot of sharing of work between Hart and Hoffman while they were both in Ohio. These are both engraved Hart Arms Cleveland on the top of the barrel in fancy script.

Both shoot very well. I've stuck a bore scope down a lot of these old rifles, and most show there age and show signs of previous rust. The bore on this 1922 is an exception. It looks like brand new. Absolutely no sign of rust or pitting and you can clearly see the machining and rifling marks from manufacturing. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite squirrel rifles.

The White family from Cleveland owned the White Motor Company. At one time they produced 10 percent of all trucks sold in the US. I have not dug enough to prove it, but I suspect Mr white who had these rifles built was from the same White family.

Regards,
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I’m wrong the m1922m2 was in production until 1934-35.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to handle 2-3 of John's rifles that were built by the Masters of many years past. I did get to shoot one or 2 of them. John has great taste in the older customs and he does shoot them.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
Correct me if I’m wrong the m1922m2 was in production until 1934-35.

I don't recall when the M2 variant was introduced, but the 1922 dates back to 1922. The 1922M1 followed, then the M2. The original 1922 had the twin strikers and a magazine that hung down below the floorplate. The M1 shortened the magazine and eliminated the dual striker as well as some other changes. The M2 introduced the adjustable headspace feature, knurled striker head, and had a shortened bolt throw to eliminate the lock in the bolt lug. The M2's were also generally not finished off nearly as well as the earlier guns.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My M2 for comparison

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Bitter sweet as I look at this that I could have fired 40 years ago but not now.Sure I can still fire but the accuracy suffers do to eye age.At least I'm honest enough to admit it.I have a match Anshutz 54 W/ olympic sights that I can't shoot any more.Good luck on your sales.Quality pcs.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! A spotter Springfield done well is my favorite rifle!I

Those are beautiful!

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for classing up the joint John.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The older custom rifles have a special charm.

Thanks for sharing.

And if anyone wants to learn more about the old Springfield custom rifles I still have two more sets of Michael Petrov's two volume set of books Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century.

I see them listed for over $300 just for the first volume on EBay and I will sell these for $225 for both volumes and they are still new in their wrappers.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I will take a set.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take a set Phil. I pm'ed you.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Will have a set heading your way this week
Thanks Lance

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Among the many "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune", what a shame Mr Petrov left this earth so soon. Never got to meet him, but he was exceptionally generous with his knowledge to anyone who asked.

Purchased his 1903 books from Great Northern Guns in Anchorage.

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .22 Springfield M22 rifle. Been wondering what to do with it and now I have the idea of setting up the stock to match the .404 and using it to practice in the field. Thanks!

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for sharing these with us. Those customs of that era have a charm that even today's customs can't replicate, at least to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned a few but that was many years past..I would love to have one of those good number springfiels customized with low comb schnable stocks and a Lyman receiver sight..The appeal to me big time..Getting damn hard to find anymore, at least the good ones are...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote