THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Original Rigby [std98] .416 Rigby
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Original Rigby [std98] .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made after 1945, by the looks of it. Nice rifle, but looks like a restock?

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax

Link ?

Price ?

Agree re stock.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
They extended the ejection port relief back in the stock to clear a peepsight, I had to magnify the image to figure out what the odd looking notch was. The recoil pad looks exactly like a London Guns pad I put on my .318. I'm not so sure it is a restock, it looks very much like a pair of Vickers that I have from 1925. If it was, it must be an older one to have still had a Lyman peep that they buggered the stock to clear. Just my .02.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll change my mind and say it could well be an original stock. The Pad looks like a Silver's pad.

Re the cut out, interesting they haven't taken it all the way down to the same level as the metal.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What peep sight? what cut out? Educate me please....

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Naki, at one time it had a peep sight, if you zoom in, you can not only see the two holes in the side of the rear bridge, but also where the original base for the site, had to have wood removed, they then blended the cutout into the existing ejection port cutout.
I have a couple of Silvers pads on original rifles and they are pretty straight from heel to toe, this pad looks like it has a scallop approx in the middle of the pad. That looks exactly like a pad I bought in the 80's from an outfit in California called London Guns. It is just like a Silvers, except for that contour in the middle I really like it and wish I could find more, but they disappeared years ago. I have also never seen a "Quarter Rib" quite like this one, it almost seems like a sight base/scope mount than a traditional Qtr rib. I'd love to have that rifle!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree re the rear sight.

In fact, the whole barrel contour / integral sight looks a bit funny in shape and contour.

Also, this isn't a Magnum Mauser.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
$18.5K at Osprey Arms
http://www.ospreyarms.com/cate...tails.php?i=8&id=449

Should have been in the original post.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
$18.5K at Osprey Arms
http://www.ospreyarms.com/cate...tails.php?i=8&id=449

Should have been in the original post.

Trax has this annoying habit of posting all these lovely photos of guns and nothing else, regardless of the few times I have asked him.

What if someone wanted to buy it before the horde got hold of it ???????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I have also never seen a "Quarter Rib" quite like this one, it almost seems like a sight base/scope mount than a traditional Qtr rib.

When Rigby built the .416 chambering on magnum mauser actions, it was not unusual to have the rib beginning at/ butted up, against the receiver. Same with the 350 Rigby chambered magnum mausers, albeit with a shorter rib/scope ring base.

I'll add that Harry Selbys std.M98 .416 differed from the std.M98 .416 featured here and the earlier magnum mausers.
Harrys rifle had the rib/sightbase starting somewhat forward of the receiver ring, had no forend tip, had a standing/fixed sight and had the charge hump removed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax

So the gun in this thread is not a Magnum Mauser ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its based on the Std.M98 receiver, magnum mauser it is not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
Its based on the Std.M98 receiver, magnum mauser it is not.

I thought so.

It looked too short.

The pictures you put up 2 posts above, that looks like a Magnum Mauser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have handled several of these Rigby 416's built on standard length actions thru the years.
Evidently they were made after the magnum length actions were no longer available.
To me, these rifles were always a little scary. Much of the support for the bolt head is removed from the bottom of the action in order to feed the long cartridge. Essentially, the bolt was held only by the top portion of the bolt head.
That being said, these rifles have been around a long time and some I have seen obviously saw a lot of action and have still held together.

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Similar Rigby Puglisi had at DSC:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the wood is original to the gun too.
The original fitment of a peep sight would explain the lack of a standing rear sight although one has to wonder about the usefulness of a DG rifle which requires the use of a folding leaf for 100yds which would account for most of it's use.
Also, it weighs less than 9 lbs. Just look how thin the barrel is at the muzzle.
Nice gun though, I do like it.
Wouldn't be a stretch to replicate this gun in 404Jeff. Now that would be nice.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What is a manum mauser action - is it the single square bridge, the double square bridge or both?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
What is a manum mauser action - is it the single square bridge, the double square bridge or both?

Neither, one or the other or both !!! LOL

The "square bridge" component is separate from the action size and related to how the top of the receiver is finished. Double SB actions are very desirable IMHO.

The photos Trax put up above is a Single SB Magnum Mauser Action. I have a Magnum Mauser without any of the square bridges. Not sure if they made Double SB Magnum Mausers.

The Magnum Mauser action was the largest M98 design and was designed for the 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs. In a few people's eyes, only 46 and 505's built on Magnum Mausers are the true guns.

Suggest you buy a couple of books on the Mausers - Speed is one, I am sure others will list a few more good books.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I thought all magnum mauser actions had a single or double square bridge. Yes I have read Speed long ago (20 years) but do not own a copy.

All the current commercial magnum mauser actions have square bridge.

I have seen a modern 500 Jeffery (Schuller) made in Germany on a modern huge 98 type action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought all magnum mauser actions had a single or double square bridge. Yes I have read Speed long ago (20 years) but do not own a copy.

Well mine doesn't and it is an original Magnum Mauser action. In fact, I'd have to look up old photos to see if other original George Gibbs 505 Gibbs had SB's. I can't remember seeing any but I am not an authority on Mausers or 505 Gibbs Magnum Mausers.

quote:

The optimum word here is CURRENT. With modern machinery, why not make them with SB's, since a lot of guns have scopes put on them.

I also think SB's look good on BA rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Mauser magnum length Oberndorf actions came in the three configurattions we are familiar with in the std action. Square rear bridge, double square bridge, and rounded bridges. DSB being very rare.
Of note is that the magnum action is simply longer than a std. action. The receiver ring is the same diameter and the bolt lugs are exactly the same size. IMO, the magnums arent any "stronger" than a std action, just longer to accommodate a longer OAL cartridge. The issue with a 416 on a std action is that some metal in the action must be taken away behind the action recess for the lower lug for the feed ramp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius

Thanks for that.

You learn something new every day.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Some of the original Gibbs 505s were built on the square bridge action - Lewis Drake had one a few years ago. True though that the majority I have seen have been on round top actions.
I do like the looks of a rear square bridge though. Just tough looking. The double square bridge actions are just such an anomaly on a magnum action that I just haven't warmed to them. Not that I wouldnt love to have one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Angree that Single Square Bridge actions look good, especially on Magnum Mausers.

However as much as they "look good", I don't see the need for them on a 505 Gibbs.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
.416 Rigby in a standard length M98 Mauser? It´s possible, but hmmm...... Roll Eyes In Germany we´re calling this "Pfusch"*.

Martin

*sloppy

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the classic case of people wanting something classic without going the whole hog in terms of $$$ of a Magnum acion - Although in the past Magnum Mausers weren't available all of the time !!!

404J is a better option as has been suggested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metal was not only removed behind the lower lug but also behind the upper lug concerning the rifle shown by the topic starter.

And :

Yes I know Harry Selby´s long life behind such a modified action

But that doesn´t convince me.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to try to quickly reload that Standard action with 416 Rigby ammo "on the run".

I reckon you might have to be pretty spot on with the ammo to get it into the magazine.

Anyone care to comment who has used one and fed the magazine in a hurry ?

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
It is interesting to see that even the magnum length Rigby has the little cutout to clear the tip of the bullet but the 416 on the std length action that Puglisi had does not. It does have it on the right side of the ring which does not take any metal away from the lug recess at all.
It really is not needed on a magnum action I don't think, and can be avoided on a std action if the shells are loaded nose first up into the chamber and then pushed down into the magazine. I would avoid this cut on top if I were to use a std length action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It really is not needed on a magnum action I don't think, and can be avoided on a std action if the shells are loaded nose first up into the chamber and then pushed down into the magazine.

That's not conducive to fast reloading without looking down at the gun.

A number of times I have had to fast reload my 505 Gibbs on the run
while culling and the last thing i want to do when walking up putting
the finisher into a few animals is having to look at the firearm.

I have also single fed a few times where I needed one more quick shot
and I found it good to keep an eye on the animal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first Magnum M98 actions were made up for the British firm John Rigby
around 1904.

1. first type was, round top configuration with a distinctive step down receiver ring.
2. Same as above, only with rear Square Bridge .
3. Round top action with normal ring , thumb cut , actually quite rare and not often encountered.
4. Single Square Bridge with normal ring and thumb cut, the most common of the magnum actions.
5. Single Square Bridge with solid left wall first made around 1930-31. Quite rare.
6. Double Square Bridge with solid left wall first made around 1930. Rare.

I think one off the coolest open sight rifles out there is an orig. Rigby magnum mauser single Sqre Bridge,chambered in: [predates .375hh by 13yrs.]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

not exactly true, Hartmann-Weiss will make them round or square.
Reimer Johannsen offer different bridge configurations, using Prechtl receivers.

quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Angree that Single Square Bridge actions look good, especially on Magnum Mausers.

However as much as they "look good", I don't see the need for them on a 505 Gibbs.

a single square bridge is great for folks to mount a peep.

Echols/Hartmann-Weiss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking the wood is original to the gun too.
The original fitment of a peep sight would explain the lack of a standing rear sight although one has to wonder about the usefulness of a DG rifle which requires the use of a folding leaf for 100yds which would account for most of it's use.

...Yep to the first part, who knows what customers ordered/what variations came out of the Rigby shop.[ Over time I am discovering the different variations that did emerge from their shop]
as to the folding 100yd leaf, If somehow one managed to damage the peep, you could remove it,flip up the 100yd leaf and be back in business before to long.

quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
I'd like to try to quickly reload that Standard action with 416 Rigby ammo "on the run".

I reckon you might have to be pretty spot on with the ammo to get it into the magazine.

Anyone care to comment who has used one and fed the magazine in a hurry ?

Harry Selby seemed to do ok for a number of decades, saying that M98 rifle never gave him an ounce of trouble,
When his Rigby .470 SxS got run over , he bought a less than ideal action length stdM98.416 Rigby,and when that was being refurbished, he went to a push feed .458 win for a number of yrs.
......how in hell did he & his clients survive all 5 decades of that!!!... rotflmo
????......Maybe Harry [like Wdm Bell], are just more confident & competent than most others, and could better adapt to an imperfect world.

Personally, I would prefer the RH side of the rear bridge trimmed back in line with the rear of the charge slot, making for less hindered/easier access on the std.length M98.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
The first Magnum M98 actions were made up for the British firm John Rigby
around 1904.

1. first type was, round top configuration with a distinctive step down receiver ring.
2. Same as above, only with rear Square Bridge .
3. Round top action with normal ring , thumb cut , actually quite rare and not often encountered.
4. Single Square Bridge with normal ring and thumb cut, the most common of the magnum actions.
5. Single Square Bridge with solid left wall first made around 1930-31. Quite rare.
6. Double Square Bridge with solid left wall first made around 1930. Rare.

I think one off the coolest open sight rifles out there is an orig. Rigby magnum mauser single Sqre Bridge,chambered in: [predates .375hh by 13yrs.]
+1, way to cool.I was wondering why stockmakers can't make stocks this nice today.Can someone tell us who made this stock and if was handmade etc...

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you WHERE that stock was made but unfortunately not by WHOM. The answer is: the Mauser factory at Oberndorf, pre-1939.

Rigby bolt-actions have the perfect stocks, in my humble opinion. They are characterised by the fact that there's absolutely nothing that one would want to take away from them, and certainly nothing to add. They're perfect!

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I know of one person here in Australia who can make a stock like that as well as any Double rifle stock.

I think you'd find a few in the UK who could do the same looking at guns that have come out of there in the last 20 years.

I find the key when getting a stock re done is to find someone who doesn't put their own interpretation on things instead of doing an exact replica.

The same applies to gunsmithing where I now give the instructions in writing !!!

Just my HO.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can tell you WHERE that stock was made but unfortunately not by WHOM. The answer is: the Mauser factory at Oberndorf, pre-1939... They're perfect!

Do the Rigbys have the Mauser number stamped in the barrel channel as the TypeA's, B's etc. do?
I have a 350 Rigby but haven't taken it out of the stock.
If Mauser made them in their entirety, they are to a style specific to Rigby as no other makers offered this exact stock shape.
I agree, they are perfect.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that Rigby did their own furniture. I agree with 500N about personal intrepretation in stockwork, I would love to have a copy of these!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.