New
Find
Notify
Tools

What next?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After going down the wrong path and almost giving up on having a custom gun built, I finally hit gold!

Ralf Martini built a fabulous 404 Jeffery that I could not be more pleased with....

Now I have a quandry of sorts, what to have Ralf build next?

1) An all around rifle for North American and African Plains Game, 300 H&H, 7x57, etc...
2) A case can be made for a 375 H&H as a go anywhere do anything rifle.
3) Another larger bore DG rifle such as a 458 Lott.

My passion lies with hunting Cape Buffalo. I booked my first Elephant Hunt and looking forward to hopefully shooting a big Botswana Elephant. Although I have hunted Plains Game while in Africa, it is way down on my lists and a second thought....

Outside of that I primarily hunt Whitetail Deer.

Appreciate your thoughts...

Best,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Brown Shoes, I can't remember now who first said it, but it is just so true.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Care to expand a bit?

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
jjs, sounds like a winner that Ralf built for you......WHERES THE PICS?

If I were you, with the stuff you listed, I would fore-go the 375. Use the 404 for what ever you wanted. Get something bigger like the Lott, and for PG/NA hunting I would have a Hagn single shot done in 300 H+H.

I have a 458 Lott right now (but am considering selling it for a DR). I am in the planning stages of my 404, and lately have been considering a Hagn Single shot in 300 H+H for myself right now.....IMO that is a pretty healthy 3 gun battery.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You could get a lot of use out of a 300 H&H or 7X57 (especially if you handload). Also a 9.3X62 complements a 404 nicely. I'd skip the 375 for now in favor of something more broadly useful in the lower 48. Carin would probably enjoy using the lighter rifles more as well.

(I think Brett is referring to the 375 H&H as "old brown shoes"...everyone should own a pair.)

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 9.3 X 62. A truly great all-around classic caliber. Just about every farmer in Southern Africa had one, just like every game scout in Tanzania had a 404 Jeffery.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:
jjs, sounds like a winner that Ralf built for you......WHERES THE PICS?

Rod,

Below is a link to some pics that were posted in the Gunsmithing Forum...

http://forums.accuratereloadin...561075341#5561075341

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started down the "custom rifle path" I wanted a 300H&H and a 416 Rigby.......I reasoned with these two calibers I could pretty much hunt the world.

Since you have a custom big bore a lighter flatter shooting rifle makes a lot of sense and you will probably use this gun more than a true big bore.

I really like the 300H&H.....it is a classic round, it feeds like butter and with 200 grain bullets you can hunt "any" thin skinned furry animal that walks on four legs. The 7x57 is a nice light caliber, but for me it can't do what a 300 Mag will do (this comment should start some grief).

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having decided on a similar battery of custom rifles to what you are proposing, I echo the positive comments for both the 7x57 & .300 H&H. Which one to build first comes down to your preference as well as the hunting situations you think you'll encounter.

I had my 7x57 built first, my .375 second, and my .300 H&H is in-progress.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too love the idea of the 7x57, particularly if you are going to use the rifle to chase whitetail. However the 7x57 deserves a true intermediate length action such as a Mexican Mauser. On a long action I'd just step up to 7x64 or .280 Remington.

The .300 H&H would be a winner in Africa, but would you want to use it in the Whitetail woods with a 24 or 26 inch barrel?

FWIW I'm therefore going to recommend the tried and true .30-06.

Equally great on plains game ond whitetail, difficult to beat the 180 Partition as an all around load. 22 or 23 inch barrel would be ideal in both locales. As Forrest rightly pointed out the 9.3x62 would be a winner as well, could be made light and handy and is still legal on Buff from what I've read.

My '06 is a BRNO 21H Dennis Erhardt put together for me. 23" barrel, will be my plains game rifle in the near future. In the meantime she sees service still hunting whitetail in the Adirondack Mountains occasionally....but only in good weather. Big Grin

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have Ralf build a 450 Rigby for your elephant hunt. Use the big Granite Mountain action and make it a big brother to your 404.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT IS NICE!!!

I really like the stock profile and layout overall!

Excellent work from what I can tell!

I vote you have him do a 500 Jeffery on a "single" square bridge mangum Mauser.

That would look the part!!!

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
That is a proper rifle. Hat off to you and Mr. Martini.

I don't care what you have him build next but please let us all see it as the project goes along.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Africa, I would go with either the 9.3x62 or, Doug's suggestion of a .30-06 and call it good for any hunting one might do here in North America, as well.

BTW, have you noticed that Ralf's site is down in the past couple of days? I have a case of his I need to ship back to him and also have four rifles there for upgrades and cannot seem to get onto his site. Have you found this?

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
For Africa, I would go with either the 9.3x62 or, Doug's suggestion of a .30-06 and call it good for any hunting one might do here in North America, as well.

BTW, have you noticed that Ralf's site is down in the past couple of days? I have a case of his I need to ship back to him and also have four rifles there for upgrades and cannot seem to get onto his site. Have you found this?

Was down for me as well but he is there---talked to him yesterday.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Jim,
What a dilema to have! Man, if i were you I would build a 7x57, .300 H&H and I love the suggestion of the .450 Rigby! 7x57 for light game, .300 H&H for medium, the .404 for buff and the biggest plains game and the .450 for jumbo! That would be a great set of rifles imho...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jjs,

That is one great looking rifle you have there!

Wish I had your "problems"..... As for the next Martini rifle...I think I'd go with a .300 H&H.

Here is a youtube video with a montage of Ralf's rifles. Sweet....!!!

Martini montage

Is the .404 in the video yours? I could do w/o the music though.... Smiler

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DavidC,

Yes that's my 404 in the video.

Ralf took the rifle to the Guild Show and it was a real hit.

Appreciate all the comments about the rifle and all the great suggestions.

I been thinking about this for several months, going back and forth. I been holding this spot with Ralf knowing I was in no rush, however, after delivery of the 404, "it" has gotten in my blood.

I going to make a choice this week and get started on this puppy!

Without Ralf and a few folks here, the 404 would not have turned out so nice. Thankfully after a bit of guideance my taste evolved!

ForrestB has very good taste and a little bit rub off after some long discussions....Forrest, I really appreciate all your help! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
jjs,

Forrest, had the drift. I was refering to the 375H&H. Part of that is the cartridges great versitility, especially in Africa. Where it seems your interest lies. The other thought being I am still remembering a 375H&H Ralf had at the guild show in 2009 or 2010. That rifle was "all there" and I am pretty fussy when it comes to saying that of any rifle.

I very much like the 300 H&H aswell.

Many Thanks

HBH

<generalwar>
posted
Ralph really understands the art of gun making and his attention to detail is staggering. You made a good choice. The 404 you have fills a big gap, why not try a 300 H&H, I just bought the Hagn single shot from him, its a wonderful calibre.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
404 is fine for the elephant hunt; your PH will be carrying a "stopper" rifle.

Do the 300 H&H or a 8x68mm.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I think I would go with the 9.3x62 over the 300H&H although it would be fine too. Either way, you'll be happy. Ralf build rifles to perfection, modern classics for sure, especially his barrels.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
7x57.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You should fill the big hole in your safe where a .375 H&H Mag. ought to be. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
You should fill the big hole in your safe where a .375 H&H Mag. ought to be. Wink

Yup can't go wrong with a nice 375 H&H. But there's a reason why the 300 H&H is used a sniper calibre Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike,

If I had that "big hole" this would be an easy choice.

Presently I have three 375 H&H rifles. A Hoffman that I may go ahead and sell as I will never use it, a M70 that I may have converted to 458 Lott, and a Browning Safari FN Long Extractor that I will probably keep. If I follow that path the 375 H&H makes it higher up the list for a new rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had your problems! I would say .300 HH or Win. Your .404 will never let you down and if you go bigger it will not get the attention it truly deserves! Second choice would be 9.3 x 62. In my opinion that .404 will be all you need in Africa if Plains game is not on the menu! INHO!

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:

Mike,

If I had that "big hole" this would be an easy choice.

Presently I have three 375 H&H rifles. A Hoffman that I may go ahead and sell as I will never use it, a M70 that I may have converted to 458 Lott, and a Browning Safari FN Long Extractor that I will probably keep. If I follow that path the 375 H&H makes it higher up the list for a new rifle.

Ah, well, now that's another story!

And now I understand your dilemma.

You have the luxury, and the pain, of choice. Big Grin

There are too many out there that would well suit your needs, and it's almost too personal a thing for me to presume to suggest what you should do.

But if you twisted my arm, I would say, you should choose the .338 Win. Mag. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
you should choose the .338 Win. Mag

My all time fave
I woulda mentioned it, but given mention of the 404, 300 H+H & 7X57, I figured he was going for more "Classic(er)" chamberings.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I know you like Granite Mountain actions and on their site they have a picture of a 7x57 built on their short action.

Looks pretty good to me!

As we discussed on the phone, with North Fork making bullets for your .404 from 430 grains down to 340, you have both a 250 yard + rifle for bigger PG and a DG gun for elephants on down. With a 7x57 and premium bullets from 120 grains to 175 in it, you have a great whitetail to eland gun.

Just leave both to me in your will, please.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I didn't know they made a short action, that would be pretty special/unique.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7-08 Rem. is to a 7x57.. 300 Win. is to a 300 H&H.. How about spliting the the difference between the two and go with a 7mm Rem Mag. not as Romantic but Proven...

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I think Ralf and I hashed out the next rifle fairly well. Talking with the folks a Granite Mountain here is what we are pinning down.

1) A 300 H&H
2) Built on a Granite Mountain Standard Mag. Action that will be slimmed down to approximately 1.3 ring diameter.

We will work out the remaining details over the next several months but general goals are established.

I hoping to get this puppy bare, in the 7-7.5 lb. range.

We will get 4 down without a drop box and should be able to get a slim, trim, and well proportioned rifle that will be a pleasure to carry.

Probably set up very similar to my 404 Jeffery with a few different finishing touches.

With Granite Mountain lead times extending, I am thinking about ordering another action in advance...

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
GMA has been talking about building something of a cross between the BRNO 21 and a G.33/40. If they build that action with M98 standard screw hole spacing, I'd open it up for a 300 H&H and pair it with Wiebe's bottom metal that will allow 4 down in a standard configuration. Talk about a sweet set-up!

Ralf is working on a 300 H&H on a ZG-47 action for me right now. That's another action you should seriously consider using. It would start with a lower price tag than a GMA and should cost no more than a GMA to make it into a proper trim 300 H&H.

Even in a standard mag configuration, the GMA action is a hog for a 300 H&H. It's very deep through the tang and without a whole lot of work it makes for a pretty sizeable rifle.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very good suggestion and Ralf told me some time ago that he has some ZG actions on hand. I have an original ZG in 9.3x62 that he re-worked for me and installed a McMillan Edge stock plus a Satterlee safety, etc. and it is perhaps the best handling of the 30+ good bolt rifles I own.

A friend of mine had Ralf build him a 9.3x64 on a ZG action he traded me out of and it is his favourite rifle, just ideal for BC hunting. I love this action, currently have 3 of these rifles and consider them the best production bolt sporters ever offered.

So, you would have a fine rifle is you have him build on a ZG and one I would love to have, myself.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We gave some serious consideration to using the ZG 47 and may revisit the suggestion. Originally intended to color case the action, as the 404 came out just wonderfully. CC would not work well with the ZG action from what Ralf advised. The CC really brought the wood and metal together, far exceeding what I thought I would end up with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Forrest,

I gave Granite Mountain another follow-up call and mentioned the hole spacing, etc...nothing new on the near horizon..too bad!

Ralf and I reviewed the measurements of the Granite Mountain smaller ring vs the Brno and besides the added lenght of the GMA, they seem to be both really close dimensionally.

With Ralf's finishing touches, I feel pretty good about reaching primary objectives with the GMA.

I took the leap of sorts ordering one of the GMA Small actions as well....to do a 7x57 on in the future.