New
Find
Notify
Tools

275 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had an inquiry....Anyone make .287 buillets for this cartridge?

A thought...taking a procedure fron engine builders, knurling would "blow out" an over the hill piston

Cauld this be done to a .284 bullet?

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes you can knurl bullets.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a .287 barrel?

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Had an inquiry....Anyone make .287 bullets for this cartridge?

A thought...taking a procedure from engine builders, knurling would "blow out" an over the hill piston

Could this be done to a .284 bullet?
Hello Duane,

I have a special Corbin swage die to bump .284 dia bullets up to .288 dia so I can load for 280 Ross and 280 Dubeil cartridges. pm me if I can help.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...just got to the bottom of this! The rifle is actually a 7mm Rem Magnum. Owner just wanted the caliber designation to be something a "Little sexier"

However, I really appreciate the information...who knows when that might come in real handy

Don't know if 287 barrels are available (easily anyway)

Thanks very much Duane

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted the same thing with my 7x57 AI.

I had mine marked 275 Rigby Improved.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK...just got to the bottom of this! The rifle is actually a 7mm Rem Magnum. Owner just wanted the caliber designation to be something a "Little sexier"

However, I really appreciate the information...who knows when that might come in real handy

Don't know if 287 barrels are available (easily anyway)

Thanks very much Duane

I don't know that renaming a 7mm Rem Mag rifle to 275 H&H is a good idea. Both being belted cartridges would see headspacing okay if a 275 H&H cartridge was chambered in the 7mm Rem Mag and although the cases are the same overall length, the shoulders are quite a bit different in diameter and likely the angle different too. While a 275 H&H may fireform in the 7mm chamber, it may also split badly.

Is there any liability involved here?

As for marking a 7x57 AI as a 275 Rigby Imp. as Hasher has done is not an issue as both are the same cartridge, firing a cartridge marked 275 Rigby (aka 7x57) in the 7x57 AI chamber will just improve it.
I'm missing out here, need to rename my 404 Jeffery to 404 Jeffery Super Duper Magnum Big Grin

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I see it,...IF a 284 barrel is in use and somehow, a stumbler coujld jam a proper 275 H&H round into the hamber and touch it off, that .287-288 buillet would most certainly raise pressure to.....?

Fire form...? Hard to ell just what a fired case would look like.

I suggested the barrel be lettered in some manner to show a warning/advisory.

Re the 275 Rigby....still don't know what or who to believe. Since the Rigby version is simply a 140 gr bullet, some believe the throat was shorter to make the acomodation...ohers say Rigby simply used a 7 mm Mauser reamer (long enough throat to acomadate 175 gr bullets )

Personally, I've never been able to make a finding either way, but never was asked to chamber wih the short throat reamer I offer

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

A thought...taking a procedure fron engine builders, knurling would "blow out" an over the hill piston

Yes, Woodleigh makes .287" 160Gr and 175gr PP SN bullets for the 275 H&H cartridge. Or did make them up until the fire, who knows if Geoff will get around to making them again. It seems he is concentrating on establishing production of the best selling bullets first which of course is understandable. I doubt that the .287" 275 H&H bullets had a big customer base.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Duane,

.275 Belted Remington Magnum?

Ah .... if only someone would or could manufacture precision self-centering reaming or cleaning rounds.

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

Yes, Woodleigh makes .287" 160Gr and 175gr PP SN bullets for the 275 H&H cartridge. Or did make them up until the fire, who knows if Geoff will get around to making them again. It seems he is concentrating on establishing production of the best selling bullets first which of course is understandable. I doubt that the .287" 275 H&H bullets had a big customer base.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality Cartridge offers three weights in their turned bullets. 140, 150, and 180's.

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough COTW (14th edition) and Chuck Hawks both list the 275 H&H as having .284" diameter bullets same as for most other 7mm cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I see it,...IF a 284 barrel is in use and somehow, a stumbler coujld jam a proper 275 H&H round into the hamber and touch it off, that .287-288 buillet would most certainly raise pressure to.....?

Re the 275 Rigby....still don't know what or who to believe. Since the Rigby version is simply a 140 gr bullet, some believe the throat was shorter to make the acomodation...ohers say Rigby simply used a 7 mm Mauser reamer (long enough throat to acomadate 175 gr bullets )

Personally, I've never been able to make a finding either way, but never was asked to chamber wih the short throat reamer I offer

It's unlikely a stumbler would be able to chamber a .287 .288 bullet into the smaller throat of a 7mag but if the larger bullet did chamber and is fired startup pressure would swage it down immediately and it would pass on thru. Yes the pressure would be a little greater, but as long as the load is a safe load for the original, the shooter likely wouldn't ever know the difference. If the bullet was not a lead core bullet, a solid of some sort, then yes pressure will be seen and perhaps experienced. I've been told by those who make bullets that lead swages at 2000 PSI. Wasn't it PO Ackley that experimented with shooting .358 diameter bullets thru .308 barrels to prove the bullet swages to size almost immediately, extrudes and just passes on thru the barrel, or was Zeglin that did that experiment.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh has them listed in 160gr and 175gr. Probably special order, especially since they just started production.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
quote:

It's unlikely a stumbler would be able to chamber a .287 .288 bullet into the smaller throat of a 7mag but if the larger bullet did chamber and is fired startup pressure would swage it down immediately and it would pass on thru. Yes the pressure would be a little greater, but as long as the load is a safe load for the original, the shooter likely wouldn't ever know the difference. If the bullet was not a lead core bullet, a solid of some sort, then yes pressure will be seen and perhaps experienced. I've been told by those who make bullets that lead swages at 2000 PSI. Wasn't it PO Ackley that experimented with shooting .358 diameter bullets thru .308 barrels to prove the bullet swages to size almost immediately, extrudes and just passes on thru the barrel, or was Zeglin that did that experiment.

Quote logical, Stuart....Maybe in the back of my mind "court room logic" perevailed

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Timan brought the throat to light. Thanks.
If the H&H .287 would chamber in a 7mm magnum, it will shoot just fine shooting a bullet that is only .003" oversize. Extraction of the fire-formed case not a concern. However, I wouldn't be surprised if an unfired chambered round would be difficult to extract. The neck of the case is .010" larger. Worst case scenario for extraction of an unfired round - bullet stuck in the throat, powder everywhere. Yes? No?
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote