Find
Notify
Tools

1909 Argentine 7.65
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted
There is an estate sale here this weekend that has a nice 1909. Looks as issued, matching numbers good crest and clean overall. Maybe 90-95% on the overall finish.
If I was to buy to build on or to have a solid resale; what are the going prices?
thanks
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about in original unaltered condition and assuming it's a DWM. I would say around $500 give or take.

Best of luck.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1909 is a very desirable action to build on...

It ranks just a hair behind the VZ.24 imho.

That $500 is about right

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. I might just go stand around all day and give it a shot.
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAMCO has a few of those at about that price. A 'nice' Mauser, in original configuration and not a rusty piece junk, is becoming a very valuable commodity.

Posts: 680 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It is also a damned useful rifle in its current chambering. It escapes me why the 7,65 Argentine gets so little respect here in the States.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16387 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Bill said. My father shot truckloads of whitetails with the much less desirable 1891 Argentine. Ken Waters recommended 45 grains of IMR 4895 behind a 150 in his Pet Loads book, and that load was a one hole round in Dad's rifle.

The round is at least equivalent to the .308, and there are darned sure no flies on that cartridge.

Dad has been gone almost six years now. I need to take his Mauser out and shoot something with it, in his memory...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A '91 Argentine in 7.65 was my first rifle. Definitely a cool caliber IMO.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5108 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
No go on the rifle. My CFO decided that working was better than spending!
Trying to get Christmas orders out.
M

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Darn shame! 7.65 is a great cartridge!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be a damn shame to take part an original in good shape, they aren't making any more of them.

Posts: 41783 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I agree with JTEX. There are way more options than a minty '09 Argy when choosing a M98 action for a build these days for less than half the cost. As to the OP, you made the money. Spend some of it on yourself! Life is too short brother.
Smiler

Posts: 5108 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they are just fine in the original chambering......

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 1909 is a very desirable action these days and it has good bottom metal to boot..About any good Mauser action is worth about $400 these days for a custom rifle, some are better than others and its up to you to know how they line up...The 1909 is probably the most used LR today as its more available but it is becoming scarce like all the good Mauser actions. There are some better actions out there, but they run upwards to $800 apiece. A complete rifle as you describe is worth about $500 to a collector, but it doesn't bother me to strip one down, and you can sell a lot of the parts to cut your costs and help out the collectors.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41840 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I like the Oberndorf built Gew98's also. I think they can be a fine basis for a custom if you plan on an aftermarket bottom metal and grinding the receiver ring and bridge anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I am way out of touch on Mauser action pricing. Or maybe some of you guys are? I am not sure.

I have had a couple MINT matching number 1909 actions on gunbroker for $300-$350. I have sold a few here and there, but nothing in the range of $500!

As a matter of fact... I think I have a few left that I haven't listed. Mint, matching numbers, not a spot of pitting.

$500.... put your money where your mouth is.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Wow, I am way out of touch on Mauser action pricing. Or maybe some of you guys are? I am not sure.

I have had a couple MINT matching number 1909 actions on gunbroker for $300-$350. I have sold a few here and there, but nothing in the range of $500!

As a matter of fact... I think I have a few left that I haven't listed. Mint, matching numbers, not a spot of pitting.

$500.... put your money where your mouth is.

You gotta keep in mind he was talking about a complete 90%-95% rifle, not just the action.

Here is a good example right here. After shipping and FFL transfer fees the buyer probably had very close to $500 in the purchase of this rifle.

Gunbroker 1909 Argentine M98

Another that went for $510 before FFL fees.

Another 1909

A picture of the last one I bought. I gave $125 for this fine specimen. hilbily

All I wanted was the action and it made a fine 9.3X62.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone has or finds a real nice 1909 Argentine receiver and needs a bolt (no guts) for it I have one in perfect shape for sale. (or maybe I could buy the receiver)

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1, I understand they were complete rifles. They are one in the same to me. I get brand new Mausers in, brand new Model 70's (pre-64), all sorts. They get torn down and used for the action.

I think I have 2 or 3 1909's that are waiting to be stripped for their actions. They are all nicer than the two you linked. It certainly has me thinking I am going to sell the rifles. Last mint action I sold went for $350 I think.

Lindy2, let me look, I am pretty sure I have a receiver laying around. Either way, you sell me the bolt, you buy the action...

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hmmmmmmmmmm...

I bought a pair of super nice complete actions last fall for $300 apiece. They are going to become a 6,5x68S and its big brother the 8x68 this year.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have paid up to $400 for just a 1909 action with the good bottom metal..Mostly Im looking for G33-40 small rings, they are getting hard to come by these days. I also like the FN Puruvians and 1908 Chilians and a few other 1908s for custom rifles.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41840 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote