THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Defiance Action for a Hunting Rifle Build?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defiance Action for a Hunting Rifle Build?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,

I am debating having a lightweight hunting rifle built on a Defiance action. I want to make as accurate a hunting rifle as I can and am looking for opinions on their actions. I think I would build a 308 with a 23-24" Benchmark barrel tapered to .625 at the crown bedded in a McMillan Hunters Edge with a blind Magazine. Your thoughts and opinions would be helpful and appreciated.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Sounds very much like you are trying to replicate a Bansner's Ultimate Ovis.

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point, or a WcWhorter, Rifles Inc Strata, HS Precision PHL, and several other 1/2" lightweight synthetic rifles out there. No sense re-inventing the wheel, with the wait and expense involved.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 700Ti in 7mm-08IMP with a Lilja #2 at 23". Very similar to what you are talking about in terms of profile. Somebody wanted it more than me and stole it. When I replace it I intend to use the Defiance lightweight action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Good point, or a WcWhorter, Rifles Inc Strata, HS Precision PHL, and several other 1/2" lightweight synthetic rifles out there. No sense re-inventing the wheel, with the wait and expense involved.

I haven't checked prices on these markers but what would be their costs? I was thinking I could build this for $2500.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't checked prices on these markers but what would be their costs? I was thinking I could build this for $2500.

ddj

They will all be well over $2500 new. However, if you search carefully you can find guns from those makers used, but in excellent condition, for close to $2500 from time to time.

The other thing to keep in mind is, if you pay $2500 for an unknown maker to build a similar gun, the resale value of that gun will likley be well below $2000 the day you pick it up.

So if you are honestly trying to buy the best gun possible, at the lowest price, in the long run your best bet is to look closely for a good used gun from any the builders Biebs mentioned.

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ddj,
Go with a Defiance action, you'll love it! I've used several on custom builds and they are smooth and the finish is as good as any I've seen.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might could build it for $2500 if you don't count the price of the scope, sling, etc. not sure whta you had in the $2500 figure.

i think you can make a lighter one on a m700 ti action

your barrel is too heavy for good balance. a true fly-weight rifle is easy to shoot off hand when breathing hard if it is properly balanced. the real question is what is your target rifle weight? without that, no one can really give you comparable answers

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was estimating 7.5# all loaded and ready to go.

ddj

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a realistic weight...better than trying for a 5 lb bare rifle and 6+ fully set up. I had a 4 3/4 lb 340 Wby once...tough to steady, and even a moderate caliber is a handful in a 5 lb rifle. You can imagine a 340!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Trout,

Below is a list of builders that use Defiance actions, (or that Defiance produces their actions for under contract). In addition to Bansner as I already mentioned there are also several others. You may want to start by checking with these other guys to see what they can do for you on your budget.

JC

•Jense Precision
•R Bros Rifles
•GA Precision
•Underground Skunkworks
•Bansners Ultimate Rifles
•Straight Shot Gunsmithing
•Louisiana Precision Rifles
•LDF Firearms
•American Precision Arms
•Uselton Arms

one of us
posted Hide Post
that is a not a very light weight at all, so any number of guys should be able to build you one for cheap, even using a regular Remington action.

a scoped and ready to go rifle weighing 5# 2oz to 5# 8oz will cost more. it is a completely realistic weight and easy to shoot off hand, at altitude, out of breath...if the shooter and the hunmaker know what they are doing.

have one or both not know what they are doing, then htings can go south. but that in no way whatsoever means that rifles of that weight cannot be shot very effectively in the field

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote