THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Satterlee Mauser action integral tange safety
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Satterlee Mauser action integral tange safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
This is an idea I started working on about 3 years ago.
It is my standard Satterlee 06 action with a few changes.
12 degree sidewalls on the Rec. (extra 7 past my standard)
front of the front bridge cut back.
lighting cuts on the magazine box sides, kind of a sunny hill look but dumps weight and is easier to inlet. Box is still fully integral.
Castleberry trigger (these are new I've got the first ever made. All internal parts of the trigger are wire cut. It's real nice housing style trigger with an lever already in for tange safety.
The tange is integral, rec is made from an 11 inch chunk of steel. Talk about mowing metal.
The old VMC chews on that baby for a good while.

All in with the rings it weighs 3lb 2oz.

I barreled this to 30-06. It is currently being stocked in a nice Cal. Walnut blank.

Satterleearms.com

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Top shelf as usual Timan. Love the tang safety. It's right where it ought to be. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is my standard Satterlee 06 action with a few changes.

Does that mean the action screw spacings are std. mauser, ..or different?
The integral tang safety is a very welcome feature.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Trax,
It's 8.0 inchs screw to screw VS 7.815 on a military DWM.
3/16 of an inch longer screw to screw.

The length for the 06 the box is 3.430 with a .120 thick front wall in the box for expandability to 8x68s with polycarb tipped bullets.
3.430 internally works real nicely on a 280 with tipped bullets. Factory loaded 06 and 270
do have some extra room in the front of the box. For those who handload the extra .050 in the front of the box is nice to have for a Berger 190gr. Same goes for the 300 win.

By pointing and clicking I go to the 375, 458 Lott. Same tool load in the cnc slightly different program. 3.620 internally.

I've done the same for the 416 Rigby and 500 Jeffery. The Rigby box is 3.710. The 500 is 3.550. Again, select the program to make.
Same tool load in the cnc just different dims.

The Rigby is the limit for this 8.0 inch action.
The 3.710 inch box is for the 410gr woodliegh bullet. Most 416 Rigby loads don't need that much length, but just in case it is there.

I like this 8.0 inch platform. It's versatile.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stuart, it is simply stunning and what one would expect from an artist of your stature. I prefer Mod. 70 safeties, but, that is just me and I would LOVE to have one of these built up in 9.3x64 by Ralf Martini and would carry it everywhere I go here in BC.....what a joy to just see work of this class!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thought the 505 had .750 bolt dia?

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great, can we get a little more info on the castleberry?? trigger?
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Dewey, thanks I consider it a privilage to be able to work for those who can afford this kind of equipment. A Martini build would be awesome.
Kim, yes, .750 bolt on the 505.
Don, I think it's best if we go thru Lester on further Q&A on the trigger. It is his baby and I'd hate to step on toes.
I'll see if he wants to come on a talk some about it.
ss

posted Hide Post
Don, Thanks for taking interest in the trigger. I used to like the mod 70 safety as well. Hunting in the mountains, on foot, with day pack and finding the safety off from entanglements with straps changed my mind. So not finding a suitable tang model anywhere, I redesigned one for myself. It utilizes Jewel geometry engineered for the Mauser. It is all stainless, incorporates a safety cam that disengages the sear, not simply blocking the sear All EDM machined and hand fitted. Trigger shoe hand profiled. Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Les, are they available and at what cost? I'd love some more info and/or contact info.
Don

posted Hide Post
Don, Yes, I have a couple available and willing to produce more. Cost $350.....Ouch! I know, but these are not a high production item. Email is elkmn@centurytel.net you can forward your contact via that and I can forward diagrams if you would like. and answer any additional questions.....les

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sweet.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Les, email incoming.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful. It's where the safety should be on ALL longguns. Most of my rifles have M70 safeties and I've grown accustomed to them. I love the functionality of the M70 safety but don't particularly like where it's located. My first bolt rifle was a tang safety M77 ruger and to this day I think that's where all safeties should be placed, it's the most natural by far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful action and trigger!

I've always found the tang safety to be my favorite and most intuitive to use. Glad to see one for a Mauser!

Thanks for the great work,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stuart,

You should send that to me so I can take a few pictures that do it justice!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Fal,
I could use a photographer that can run a mill and lathe.
Stu