THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Custom shallow magazine lightweight Euro hunting rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom shallow magazine lightweight Euro hunting rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve been looking around for an old thread, discussing custom shallow magazine, Mauser hunting rifles. In that thread, there was a link to a German or Austrian outfit making such rifles. Does anyone recall the name of that company or can someone provide a link? Thanks.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uwave:
Perhaps:

https://waffen-kessler.de/home-engl.html

I think that is it. Thanks

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those linked rifles look really nice. Does someone here have actual experience with them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What am I missing..the rifles (truly elegant) are the standard depth magazine (vs drop box intended to hold an extra round)

Nothing unusual

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
German Master Gunmaker Elmar Bonn, here in the US, has built similar guns.

Duane, they are a shorter magazine box, 3 rds if memory serves, allowing a slim stock. They also require a modified trigger.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't think of a trigger that could be shortened, except military.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kessler makes a modern trigger specifically for this application.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
this is from an AR member.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guy was advertising this rifle as a M66 Mauser. I sent him a message giving my opinion about it, and he pasted my message word for word for his new description. I think it’s pretty cool, but I would prefer it in a lighter caliber like 257 Robert’s, 6.5x55, or 7x57.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1023356270

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...Dave Wesbrook liked doing that

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda gives new meaning to a trim rifle! I wonder how it actually feels in hand?

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Not knocking it, but I hunt in the PNW forest. Many falls per day. I think that I might be afraid to carry such a rifle. Maybe if weren't such a stumbler. /wink

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I could take things that far, but it might be a good use for a blank I have that’s 4.5” tall at the butt.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own, but "Make it different rather than better" comes to mind

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can shave the bottom metal to remove just one round and it makes for a very trim rifle. Somewhere I have a mauser 98 bottom metal and trigger that have been so treated.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
What the heck, started messing around with one of my actions. Decreased mag height by .150”, which is just enough to not allow a 4th to slip in under the feed rails(9.3x62)I filed the bottom metal housing to allow the Timney trigger housing to slip through it, and wouldn’t you the trigger housing is basically flush with the bottom metal. A guy could go another .020” before worrying about the pivot pin for the trigger. I’ll file off any part of the trigger housing that protrudes above the surface of the bottom metal. I’ll have to shorten the trigger piece itself, and I’ll move its position about 1/4” further back in the trigger bow.

Will make a great 6.5x55

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
What the heck, started messing around with one of my actions. Decreased mag height by .150”, which is just enough to not allow a 4th to slip in under the feed rails(9.3x62)I filed the bottom metal housing to allow the Timney trigger housing to slip through it, and wouldn’t you the trigger housing is basically flush with the bottom metal. A guy could go another .020” before worrying about the pivot pin for the trigger. I’ll file off any part of the trigger housing that protrudes above the surface of the bottom metal. I’ll have to shorten the trigger piece itself, and I’ll move its position about 1/4” further back in the trigger bow.

Will make a great 6.5x55

That’s perfect!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Here’s the action and bottom metal with .150” removed. I laid the trigger on it for reference.
https://i.imgur.com/hVYFUFj.jpg

Pic showing trigger housing fit through bottom metal. Peaking in you can see the hole for the trigger pivot. I’ll probably weld a piece in the bottom metal to fill that radius behind the trigger housing if doing so doesn’t interfere with assembly/disassembly.

https://i.imgur.com/XPDvb0i.jpg

Here you’ll see the shortened trigger. It’s sitting about 1/4” further back in the bow now, and I’ve angled it back slightly to benefit a more open grip. I’ll grip the top of the trigger in a vise when welding as to not alter heat treat. Will weld a lot at the back to fill in that void and create a graceful radius. You’ll see the trigger housing poking through some. I’ll probably decrease magazine height by another .020”, then file the trigger housing flush with the bottom metal after stocking.
https://i.imgur.com/YbcWpFw.jpg

And putting it on paper. The butt height of 4 3/8” is proportional imo to the decreased height of the mid section. Forend length 8”. 1 1/2” and 2 1/4” drops with 14 1/4” lop. It’s a large ring small thread action, so I’ll narrow the front ring to allow a slimmer stock, similar to an 8x60mm I used to have. I’ll probably omit the rear sight sleeve in favor of doing claw mounts with a peep sight that snaps into the rear claw mount. Will have to get creative on hiding it somewhere when scope is being used. Either trap door butt or custom grip cap with trap door. Or Rigby style cocking piece peep.
https://i.imgur.com/vE418XH.jpg

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
Not knocking it, but I hunt in the PNW forest. Many falls per day. I think that I might be afraid to carry such a rifle. Maybe if weren't such a stumbler. /wink

Would be interesting to know the dimensions on that wrist. I’d assume it’s pretty close to a fine English 20ga SxS with straight grip. I’d happily carry such!

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
IIRC, I milled off .250 of the top of this Blackburn bottom metal for this Kurz GMA. The trigger is one of Pete Grisel's M70 designs adapted to attach to an un-altered 98 by Morris Melani at Alaska Arms. I cut off the trigger shoe and replaced the shoe with one that fits the shortened magazine. The trigger housing is very thin top to bottom so there's more room to slim this setup even more.

5618GDKurz by JAMES ANDERSON, on Flickr

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exquisite!!!! Is the thumb cut standard on the Granite Mountain Arms Kurz model?

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James,
Thats more like it, beautiful and not over the top..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That kurz is beautiful!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks to be in the same category.

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=102549254

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
So 3 rounds down with a 1/4 off the top of the box? Very nice rifle BTW.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen this done a number of times by not using bottom metal and just a triggr guard and the front action screw...Looks nice.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote