THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My First Rifle Build - Update #2 Nov 28/10- Pics Added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My First Rifle Build - Update #2 Nov 28/10- Pics Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
Hey fellas,

Finally got the rifle put together:

Rifle was built using a Savage 111 FCNS in 30-06
Aftermarket parts:
-Shilen SS Select Match in 6mm AI finished at 28"
-Sharp Shooter Supply LVT stock in blue/black
-Sharp Shooter Supply SS Bolt handle
-Sharp Shooter Supply SS Recoil lug
Optics:
-Sightron SIII 8-32x56 with Target Dot reticle
-Burris Sig Zee Rings 30mm
-EGW 20 moa picatinny rail

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Remington 700 Sendero 7mm Mag off a guy in Fl for an even trade for a scuba diving SC I had. BC was worth about $550. Rifle is in like new condition and came with 120 rds of ammo and a hard case and already had a bushnell Banner on it that quickly got replaced.

Anyways, if you search around you can find a full Remington rifle for good prices and just have it rebarreled and the action a little feed work and your in business.

I have seen Ruger's also going REAL cheap on GUnbroker. Alot of these rich folks are loosing there butts in this economy and are selling there gun collections that they purchased for show.

If you start with a bare action you got alot more work ahead of you. Im in the process of planning my custom rifle in the 500AR caliber. And just the planning stages are mind blowing.

Before even sending off the action to the smith I need dummy rounds made up for the caliber I want the rifle to be chambered in. Then you send it and wait for how ever long it takes. if you want nicer things it will take even longer.

Fully built rifle just getting a rebarrel shouldnt take long at all. All you need is the rifle and dummy rounds. then wait for the goodies to arrive.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider 6BR. Great accuracy, very efficient and much longer barrel life, since you can burn a lot of ammo at varmints.

Posts: 373 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something to consider is rebarreling a 223 Rem 700 to 6.8spc. Should be plenty of righty 223 actions out there. I'm lefty!!! Much tougher to find.

\
After a bit I went w. a Stiller Predator action to build off of.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 6mmBR but don't know about feeding, seeing as you want a repeater. You could get a RBLP and be almost as well off. All depends on how much you want to spend. You could also consider using a Savage action as a base and rebarreling as appropriate. Probably a lot less money.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your brothers advice is good as sako actions are great,a .243 would be a sako 3 action. I shoot a sako 75 in 6.x55 swede (4 action),and they are sweet,strait out the box-you may even leave it as a 243!...Tikka actions are good too...best of luck,from Limeyland....

Posts: 27 | Location: Hertfordshire, U.K. | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a Mcmillan stock. Rem 700 will be cheaper to have built.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, your custom build list sounds great, the HS stock is heavy just FYI...The stiller action is VERY good..but I would buy a grey wolf Sako 85 in 243. This will be a really stable setup, and may achieve your accuracy goals as it comes. The stock is very stable and heavy enough without being cumbersome.

Trigger options are not good for the Sako's, but they come with a great trigger. If you get one of the Stainless Varmint laminated ones, it will come with a set trigger that is awesome, I would probably go that route for your stated application. You may want to invest in pillar bedding it, I have rifles with and without it, and they will both shoot great....

Another route to consider would be to have Surgeon rifles build you a 243, it will be damn awesome as you get it, probably save you a good bit over your build, and a Jewell or Timney trigger will be in the package....I love mine in 308!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas fellas....although I seem to have 180'ed on the custom rifle.

Upon the advice of a trusted friend who owns a few customs, I have decided to build a Savage switch barrel before jumping into the custom rifle scene. Cost was also a factor, as an $8-900 action imported into Canada was going to cost around $1500, at least from the 2 shops I got quotes from.

For a little over 2 grand CDN, I will have my 6mm Rem AI, as well as a 30-06, using the 6mm AI for long range varmints, and the 30-06 for larger game. I was thinking of a 25-06 to do the switch, but I needed something bigger to round out the top of my calibre list in centre fire rifles.

The parts list includes:

Savage 111FCNS in 30-06 (will use the accustock with 30-06 barrel)
Shilen Select Match Stainless Steel (bead blasted) in 6mm AI (40 degree shoulder) with a 1-8" twist, finished at 28" in S7, savage varmint contour
Standard shank competition recoil lug from SSS
Stainless tactical bolt handle from SSS
Stainless Trigger Guard from SSS
LVT stock from SSS in Blue/Black with adjustable comb
As well as all the neccessary tools to swap out barrels and reload, such as Redding type s bushing 3-die neck sizer set, barrel vice, nut wrench etc.

Cheers
CK82

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be very happy with that rig--a whole different thing for sure, but usually damn accurate, and a great value as you point out! Hope it works well for you!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteKiller82:
an $8-900 action imported into Canada was going to cost around $1500, at least from the 2 shops I got quotes from.
CK82

Eeker which two shops were they?

In the last couple of yrs, I've had several thousand dollar rifles imported for less than half that......check that, for 1/4 the price you've listed.

Who are you getitng to do the build? There are only a couple of guys up here I would trust anymore with my money.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll be happy with the Savage, great accuracy.
I don't know why they are the Rodney Dangerfield (no respect)of rifles.

John coffee

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteKiller82:
an $8-900 action imported into Canada was going to cost around $1500, at least from the 2 shops I got quotes from.
CK82

Eeker which two shops were they?

In the last couple of yrs, I've had several thousand dollar rifles imported for less than half that......check that, for 1/4 the price you've listed.

Who are you getitng to do the build? There are only a couple of guys up here I would trust anymore with my money.

The following are quotes taken directly from the emails from both shops.

Alpine/Timberline actions are retailing at the $1399 range - This quote was from RMR (Corlanes)

and

so with freight and exchange etc the action would be just over $1500.00 - This quote was from AB Tactical, total price would have been well over 5 g's shocker, so I figured middlefinger

My good friend who advised me to build the savage, also said he'd be willing to get me an action from his source for an extra $50, so maybe in a year or two I will build a full custom! But till then, the Savage will have to do.

UPDATE: Rifle as well as tooling to swap barrels and reload is on order....just need to get in touch with SSS to order the remainder of the parts, as well as Jerry at Mysticprecision to order the switch barrel!

Now the wait begins!

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
A lttiel pricey to be sure. I had same action ordered from Corlanes 2 yrs ago when they 1st started bringin them up, all up was $1200, sure had a bump in price.
Be glad you didnt get them to do your rifle, I wouldnt give them a gun to adjust a trigger on anymore.
AT I think does alright work but wayyyy to pricey IMO, they wanted $900 to rebarrel a 700 for me......+ the cost of the bbl Eeker

Whos doin the work on the Savage for you?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:
A lttiel pricey to be sure. I had same action ordered from Corlanes 2 yrs ago when they 1st started bringin them up, all up was $1200, sure had a bump in price.
Be glad you didnt get them to do your rifle, I wouldnt give them a gun to adjust a trigger on anymore.
AT I think does alright work but wayyyy to pricey IMO, they wanted $900 to rebarrel a 700 for me......+ the cost of the bbl Eeker

Whos doin the work on the Savage for you?

Yeah, AT quoted 750 to chamber and install barrel, I've heard 300-350 from a guy here in MB to chamber, barrel and true a 700 action, even less if you supply a custom action.

I've also heard similar reports regarding Corlanes.

As for the Savage work, I'm having Sharp Shooter Supply do me a stock, the rest of the work will be done by yours truly.

I have the required wrenches on order, as well as go-no go guages, and once all the components arrive, plus the new gun, I will swap barrels and commence load development. I'm hoping to have it all done by the end of May barring any parts delays!

I was thinking of timing the action, but considering this aint a BR rifle, I won't mind a stiffer bolt lift. I figure a longer tactical bolt knob will reduce the bolt lift enough. It may be something I would like to have done, but that could be a winter project for Jerry at Mystic Precision in BC.

Trueing a Savage action, according to Jerry, is a waste of time and money as they have a floating bolt head, and Savage makes pretty straight factory actions to begin with.

In all I'm looking forward to this build, and getting a bit of first hand experience with completely dissasembling a rifle!

CK82

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's been a few months since I ordered all the parts, and to this day the only item I ordered that has arrived is the factory 30-06 Savage 111 FCNS. I just picked it up lastnight after work dancing.

I already have a slight issue, as this Savage is a newer model, it has a smooth barrel nut thumbdown. So already I have to get a different barrel nut wrench that will work with the smooth nut installed on this rifle. I guess my first lesson has been learned...don't buy tools until you know what you're working with! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics of donor rifle...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage gets no respect because Back In The Day they were just Good Value rifle, Truck Guns. Cheap wood, thin finishes, they were Go guns, not Show guns. They shot well enough and were cheap, relatively speaking.

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a utilitarian rifle, I have tremendous respect for them. However, I think, and I know that I am not alone, they are BUTT ugly. I use rem 700 quite a bit, and feel the same way, But they sure shoot well.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I have Savage and Stevens rifles. They all SHOOT. dancing and can be modified at greatly reduced cost. You won't be dissapointed. Enjoy your trip down custom rifle lane. tu2

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteKiller82: Yeah, AT quoted 750 to chamber and install barrel, I've heard 300-350 from a guy here in MB to chamber, barrel and true a 700 action, even less if you supply a custom action.

ATRS charges real money because they do top shelf work - and lots of it. You don't have to drop your prices when you have customers lined up out the door, especially during a recession! Corlanes does great work too and their rifles shoot like crazy as well. Pops has a RMR-built M70 in 7RM that is an absolute long range tack driver and my ATRS M70 shows the signs - just need to get serious about working up a load!

Jerry knows his stuff and I have no doubt that your Savage will be rocking when it's all said and done. Have you considered going with the old-style nut? I think that Jerry supplies them as well. Would make for less fooling around and I'm no fan of the smooth nut anyway. The Savage/Stevens is a great platform and they shoot. My Stevens 30-06 goes under an inch every day with 180 Partitions. Keep this in mind and DON'T SHOOT THE DONOR!!!

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigUglyMan:
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteKiller82: Yeah, AT quoted 750 to chamber and install barrel, I've heard 300-350 from a guy here in MB to chamber, barrel and true a 700 action, even less if you supply a custom action.

ATRS charges real money because they do top shelf work - and lots of it. You don't have to drop your prices when you have customers lined up out the door, especially during a recession! Corlanes does great work too and their rifles shoot like crazy as well. Pops has a RMR-built M70 in 7RM that is an absolute long range tack driver and my ATRS M70 shows the signs - just need to get serious about working up a load!

Jerry knows his stuff and I have no doubt that your Savage will be rocking when it's all said and done. Have you considered going with the old-style nut? I think that Jerry supplies them as well. Would make for less fooling around and I'm no fan of the smooth nut anyway. The Savage/Stevens is a great platform and they shoot. My Stevens 30-06 goes under an inch every day with 180 Partitions. Keep this in mind and DON'T SHOOT THE DONOR!!!

I have no doubt that ATRS does excellent work, just outta my price range at the moment is all.

I already have an old style nut sitting on my workbench at home eagerly awaiting my 6 AI barrel. I'm not a big fan of the smooth one either, but it'll do for the 30-06 barrel as they match.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bump - Pics Added to First Post of thread...Enjoy!