THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Anybody have a .22 rimfire "training Rifle" built to mirror your Big Bore?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have a .22 rimfire "training Rifle" built to mirror your Big Bore?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anyone has had a 22 rimfire "trainer" made to mimic their Big Bore rifle. Same sights, scope mounts, safety, sling mounts ect. I've pretty much set my sights on the CZ550 in 375 H&H and wanted a cheaper companion rifle. Any input would be appreciated.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yes

I have a Kimber 84M in 7-08 with a 2 position safety and I also have a Kimber Classic in 22LR with the same setup.
Both are scoped identical and have similar triggers. I use it as my plinker and my in-between rifle at the range.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1922 and 1903 Springfield custom sporters, both with Lyman 48 receiver sights, band ramp fronts and trapdoor buttplates. Both gifted to friends.

Winchester high wall CF (building now) and low wall RF (completed) custom sporters, both with band ramp fronts and Lyman 103 rear peeps, both with set triggers, highly figured black walnut custom stocks with trap door furniture and ebony fittings. Another low wall CF small game rifle is a-building, configured similarly, and am now accumulating parts for still another matching high wall sporter. Here's an image of the RF sporter. It has a cartridge trap in the belly.

Next image is of the small game CF sporter. it has a trap door grip cap holding a spare firing pin.

Will be taking pics of the high walls soon, will post them then.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really identical, but the Ruger 77/22 does a pretty good job as a practice/trainer for most bolt guns.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly, but I have an old German single shot .22LR sighted in at 100 yards. With the extreme drop at this distance for the .22, that makes it a single use only gun (100 yard practice).

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and old Mossberg 22 cal Match Rifle (heavy bbl) that is very close to my plains game rifles for practice.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hizzie: I've pretty much set my sights on the CZ550 in 375 H&H and wanted a cheaper companion rifle. Any input would be appreciated.
cz452 Lux

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High wall components, to match the 22LR and K-Hornet low walls shown above. The high wall will have a belly cartridge trap and a trap grip cap, shown.

I like single shots.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well not exactly like one of my bigger rifles but I have a full size Marlin bolt action scoped that is great practice, yesterday I shot a feral cat with it, 75 yards head shot rested over a wobbly post I thought that was great shooting, if I closed my eyes a bit it could have been my .375 on sticks shooting a Lion!
I think shooting a .22 or shooting anything is great practice no matter what you ultimately want to get better at.

That CZ 452 is a great idea!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sort of...

I have a Paul Shuttleworth (CPA) Stevens 44 1/2 that has interchangeable barrels in 22lr and 40-65. Takes five minutes to switch them.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I sleaved a 45-70 trapdoor and turned it into a very accurate .22 LR for a customer. Redoing the firing pin and the ejection was interesting. He has a battery of three that are all good looking guns, 45-70, 40-65 and .22LR. He shoots a lot of matches and does very well. He gets alot of interest when they see him shooting a trapdoor .22.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the pre-war rifles that Mauser made was a miniature M98 in 22LR. It was made in both single shot and five round repeater.I have the single shot and it's exactly the same bolt etc as my M98 !! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Whitworth in .375 H&H which was outfitted with a Redfield peepsight. Browsing thru the Brownell's catalog I first decided to replace the itsy bitsy tiny front bead with an XS blade. Then I found an NECG peepsight I had laying around and thought of my 77/22. bewildered

I ended up also ordering a Williams Streamline ramp and second XS post. Once the box arrived from Iowa, the .375's sight went in without a hitch. I drifted the second post into the ramp and J-B welded that to the barrel. Let it set overnight and off to the range we went. I sighted the .22 in at 25 yards and the .375 at 50 yards. Sight picture is identical, the rifles feel similar except for a bit of a difference in recoil.

Not an exact mirror of the Whitworth but it's nice to practice by firing ammo where a single round is cheaper than just the large rifle primer costs in the .375. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 22 NULA made which virtually matched my 308 NULA for weight, LOP and trigger pull. And, just bought a Cooper Jackson Hunter 22 which is very similar in LOP and trigger weight to my Cooper Jackson Hunter 30-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 1922 M1 Springfield made by Jack Haugh to copy my G&H Springfield #950 '06. I'll try to post some pix.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack Haugh made some nice stuff, for sure!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
I am into full- stocked rifles and there's a .22 in this pile...

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Well, It's not exact but their both bolt, both great wood, both great triggers, both VX3 scopes, both same LOP, both 24" barrels.

Cooper 57M 22LR with French walnut and VX3 1.5-5

Pre 64 M70 w/ Exhibition grade California Walnut in 257 Roberts with VX3 2.5-8

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP.....those are 2 definite winners!! The wood on that M70..WOW!!!

Posts: 683 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Yeah, tee hee, I know! Cool Big Grin dancing tu2 jumping

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote