Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 Mauser Mannlicher
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I finally got everything assembled! This started off several years ago as a sporterized 1915 Spandau Mauser action. It sat around for a while before I finally got to it.

Tip Burns did all of the metal work and finish - he did an awesome job - highly recommend working with him. It has a new butter-knife bolt handle and it was opened up at rear portion of the receiver. The barrel is a #2 contour at 20". It also has a single set trigger.

Pic here has a Weaver 6x38, but just changed to a Weaver GrandSlam 3.5-10x40 that I had laying around.

I needed stock quick so I sent the barreled action to MPI Stocks. They did a fantastic job and turned it around in about 5 weeks. I plan to do a wooden one later this year - Al Lind is going to do the fitting from some nice Walnut and I plan to finish.

Anyway, it's ready in time to take to RSA next month. Third time for me, but first time for my 16 year old son (who will be using my .308 Winchester Tikka).

I plan on using some 200 grain 2,500 fps+ plus loads in here from Superior Ammo - I'm shooting the sample pack tomorrow and will get the final ammo just in time to leave on July 7th.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I had absolutely no idea that anyone made a synthetic Mannlicher stock! Looks very nice - form follows modern functionality.

How's it group?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you and your son on your trip.

What will you be hunting?

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
I had absolutely no idea that anyone made a synthetic Mannlicher stock! Looks very nice - form follows modern functionality.

How's it group?

Thanks. It's a hand made synthetic stock, so it's not off the shelf.

Shooting it tomorrow for the first time.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Good luck to you and your son on your trip.

What will you be hunting?

wingshooting (2 days) the Free Orange State and the standard plainsgame list (10 days) in the Stormberg Mountains and Kat River areas in the Eastern Cape.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have a similar safety on my 9.3 and I constantly find it coming off safe since it rides against my body when slung. Not being a downer Smiler just be careful.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
It's one there good. Tip and I spent time tuning it yesterday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Now I know why Tip was asking me about the floorplate lever release on my pre-war JP Sauer. I am darn tempted to do that stock on a 358 Win of mine. What does the rifle weigh?

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Looks great. Now I know why Tip was asking me about the floorplate lever release on my pre-war JP Sauer. I am darn tempted to do that stock on a 358 Win of mine. What does the rifle weigh?

Just weighed it, 8.6 pounds - that includes a 13 oz scope. So that would be 7.8 pounds. Had I gone with a #1 barrel, figure 6 oz lighter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, It will have some real class in walnut but it has some good lines now. I am going to have to build one, thats all there is to it. 308 or -06

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

My son has a Mohawk 600 in 308. I want to do that in a Mannlicher as well. Eliminate the ugly fixed trigger guard and go with a wood bottom.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
it was opened up at rear portion of the receiver.

From the photos it looks like the ejection port was opened up in the rear(on the rear bridge). I don't recall seeing this on a standard length cartridge. Was it done to ease loading, or for some other reason?

Slick rifle BTW.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

I would have never thought of it but it looks slick.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
it was opened up at rear portion of the receiver.

From the photos it looks like the ejection port was opened up in the rear(on the rear bridge). I don't recall seeing this on a standard length cartridge. Was it done to ease loading, or for some other reason?

Slick rifle BTW.

I just thought it would be neat to try. I have seen it on some David Miller Mauser 98's and on a Enfield action I bought.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! That floorplate release looks familar.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Did you make the release lever for Tip or do you have one similar?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was one I made for someone else. He never paid me so I sold it, I couldn't remember to who. It was and odd shape compared to the standard oberndorf levers I make. It was made to match one he had on a different rifle. Anyway here's some pics for you.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. I am glad you are going to do a walnut stock as well. I still cannot get used to a Mannlicher synthetic stock!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
tu2

Very nice!

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I walloped a nice Waterbuck and Impala in the Eastern Cape with it last week.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/5841067951