New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi custom Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not sure if a synthetic stocked rifle qualifies as "custom" but here one is anyway. I posted this in the lefty forum and it has been suggested that I post it here as well.

Built by Bill Leeper
7MM Mashburn Super
24" Douglas CM #2 9 twist barrel
Left hand Model 70 action.
H&H length box
opened loading port
new bolt handle
Leupold DD rings and bases
Wisner long extractor
Echols EDGE stock
Williams bottom metal
Baiar guard screws
Hot caustic blued
7lbs 15oz's

The targets are initial loads tested at 200 yds. Obviously not up to internet standards so I apologize for my sloppy shooting. Ignore the holes in the top half of the targets as they are from a completely different rifle. I was trying to maximize daylight.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice man!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol' Bill knows what he is doing!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Super nice, congrats and thanks for sharing!

Quick question - I noticed you listed some of Jim Baiar's TG screws. Does he have them available now? I used to bug him about these every 6 months or so but stopped calling him several years ago as he just seemed to never get around to finishing them.

TIA,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had these ones for a while. Not sure if he has any now.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will give him a call and find out what he has available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested to know why Baiars's triggergaurd screws are so desireable. Are they just different looking or do they serve some other purpose?

Also, did the receiver have its original barrel threads recut?

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had the bolt handle rewelded. If so what make was it? Looks really nice...great job on the rifle too.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

It is a Talley knob.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle Chuck.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
As I may have told you before, you're my model 70 idol. I felt like I'd won the lottery a few years ago when I found a beater 70 in .338WM, LH, stainless. I sent it to Hill Country in Texas, for much the same configuration as yours. I didn't have access to the famous Echols stock, and have always wondered if it would feel better. I think HCR put on a Sporter Edge.
Super rifle!
Don
Ps tried to lighten it up a bit by ordering a Pacific bottom metal, but it wouldn't drop in and HCR seemed very hesitant about installing it

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice rifle.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ditto, very nice

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote