THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Lothar Walther full Octagon Mauser barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lothar Walther full Octagon Mauser barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody have a rifle with one of these installed? Got any pics?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a half oct/half round, full rib LW, sold it on a custom rifle..I can't think of a better barrel than LW, in any form. Been using them for over 30 years best I can recall. Some things, although very expensive, are a good investment, such is LW...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lothar Walther full Octagon Mauser barrel

I have a few rifles with octagon barrels including some schutzens.

A current well used favorite is a custom 30-06 on a DWM mauser action with a 22" octagon barrel. The rifle is handsome and accurate.

It might be easier to damage the sharp edge of the octagon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only if you use it for a crowbar! hilbily

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Only if you use it for a crowbar! hilbily

Ray,

The fine edge on the 8 sides of an 'octagon' barrel can inadvertently touch some hard surface and be dented in or lightly damaged!

I looked at a few of my guns with octagon barrels and there are some 'marks' on them.

I got the old Aydt schuetzen out from the back and it's full octagon barrel is so marked but still looks authentic.

A 'fair weather' hunting rifle is a custom pictured above with a full octagon barrel on a DWM action that I am proud to own and use carefully.