THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Any problems with Octagon barrels and flat checkering?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any problems with Octagon barrels and flat checkering?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I love the way they look is there any draw backs?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like both. Duane did it on one of Forrest's rifles I believe and it looks really good.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you one thing: Make a slip on flat checkering and you reach for a straight razor to slash your wrists

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Duane's remark but the visual effect is worth the effort, my favorite "style" of checkering. --- John303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane's does a fantastic job on both IMHO. Does the octagon barrel add much weight?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Visual effect is stunning.

Octagon is fine but an integral rib is a known source of vertical stringing in some instances.

Flat checkering affords less grip than pointed.

Octagon-to-round transition can be problematical from both a visual and a mechanical standpoint if it's not considered early in the building process. IOW it can be ugly or beautiful, accurate or inconsistent.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ribbed barrels do have the potential for erratic behaviour, but this tendency can be minimized by careful machining. For instance, heat generated by machiing will cause the barrel to stretch a bit, so the pressure between centers will have to be constantly adjusted.

I hesitate doing an integral job on button rifled barrels because of the "built in stress"
Douglas barrels, while button rifled are heat treated after rifling so, in my experience cause no problem.

I always go ahead and have the barrels double cryoed..may be in my head, but seems to provide a more stable platform.

Plain octaon barrels could also be screwed up by carless machinilng, as can plain round barrels.

Maybe it's a crap shoot, but careful attention will usually result in a fine shooting barrel.

Stringing tendencies in a ribbed barrel will not usually show up until a whole bunch of rounds have really heated things up..seldom seen in real life hunting situations.

Just an obversation in flat top checkering...seldom has a gun been dropped for lack of checkeing

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Ribbed barrels do have the potential for erratic behaviour, but this tendency can be minimized by careful machining. For instance, heat generated by machiing will cause the barrel to stretch a bit, so the pressure between centers will have to be constantly adjusted.

I hesitate doing an integral job on button rifled barrels because of the "built in stress"
Douglas barrels, while button rifled are heat treated after rifling so, in my experience cause no problem.

I always go ahead and have the barrels double cryoed..may be in my head, but seems to provide a more stable platform.

Plain octaon barrels could also be screwed up by carless machinilng, as can plain round barrels.

Maybe it's a crap shoot, but careful attention will usually result in a fine shooting barrel.

Stringing tendencies in a ribbed barrel will not usually show up until a whole bunch of rounds have really heated things up..seldom seen in real life hunting situations.

Just an obversation in flat top checkering...seldom has a gun been dropped for lack of checkeing

Duane tu2has an Excellent Point on the "stress" and potential to add or release stress into the blank. One reason I use Krieger barrels on my sporters and competition rifles.

The process of pulling the buttons introduces stress during the process but proper stress relieving takes care of that.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think a wire edm with an rotary indexer would be perfect for such a job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope there aren't any drawbacks, as Duane is building a 375 for me now with both an octagon barrel with rib and flat top checkering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cas II I expect many pictures and a full report from you! Big Grin I am dreaming of a Duane rifle at this point, and it is his fault for my lusting of octagon barrels and flat checkering! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems easier to put a noticeable dent or ding on the edge of an octagon barrel as compared to a round barrel.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I started with a rifle barrel (round) that was a little on the heavy side for running around in the woods. Have used this rifle for several years. Decided it needed to loose some weight, restocked, and remachined the barrel full octogon. Chamber area and all... no sights on this gun, scoped only. I can still get around 3/8" 3 shot groups IF I DO MY PART.
If the barrel is machined with no heat build up, useing light cuts and sharp cutters, I feel an octogon shuld not shoot any diffrent than a round barrel. This one didn't!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote