New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Plinkers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Custom rifles are not just for africa. My son and I took a couple of our favorite plinking (or Blinking as he used to call it) rifles out the other day for some shooting. He used his customized Rem 514 for a little long range practice shooting at a steel plate about 90 yards away. A long way for an 8 year old with a .22.

My favorite walking around gun is a Winchester 75 Sporter that has been restocked by an unknown gunsmith. Whoever did it did a fine job and it has a little bit of a G&H look to it. Ben is showing them off.

Not your typical $15,000 Wiebe rifles, but they probably get a lot more use and bring the user just as much enjoyment as your typical big game custom rifle.

Regards,
John

PS. The scope on the 514 is one of the Chinese copies of the old Redfield 3/4" tube rimfire scope. Although advertised as being parallax free at 25 yards, it actually has about 2" of parallax at 25. I guess it will teach him to keep his eye centered in the scope.

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!! I have often thought of doing the same thing. You've inspired me...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Nice guns... really nice. The lines and execution on the M-75 are distinctive enough that somebody here should have a good idea who made it.

I like this kind of rifle a lot. You get to actually use them.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks to me a real trophy 8 year old tu2

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've toyed with the idea of building a fine 22LR for years but never have. You guys have helped me make up my mind.
Thank you!

Those are a couple examples of fine "blinkers"!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I hear gunmakers love doing small calibers. Something about regulating the big boys isn't fun. I like whats happening.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles; thanks for sharing! I like custom pieces in general. Sort of like going to the parking lot and not having to figure out which car is yours. I think the only firearm I own that isn't modified is a glock, and even that has an aftermarket barrel.

Eye protection is a good habit to include when teaching kids about firearms (imo).

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, I really like the 75... tu2

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't bad John!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. The pictures are taken on our little range about 300 yards from our back door. We are very fortunate to our own place to shot.

jpl, you are correct about the safety glasses. I probably get more relaxed about it than I should.

John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a custom 514 Rem for my oldest son about 1982. It was very similar to yours. Shortened butt stock and fore end to make it symmetrical, and of course shortened barrel. Drilled and tapped receiver like yours. Slimmed the fore end, refinished wood and metal. Checkered stock. Makes a nice boy's rifle.

Craftsman

Posts: 1535 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great idea to build custom .22's! You are right, they would see much more service than even my customs in deer calibers.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also think the 75 is exceptional.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I've toyed with the idea of building a fine 22LR for years but never have. You guys have helped me make up my mind.
Thank you!

Those are a couple examples of fine "blinkers"!

Zeke

I have a Yonkers Kimber 22 Classic I've considered restocking in English walnut as well. I may call Gary Goudy yet.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the few custom rifles ive kept is an Al Biesen maple stocked 52C sporter.She gets shot more than any other rifle i have by 100Xs.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen other work by the stockmaker who did the model 75. It's too distinctive to be mistaken. Unfortunately, being senile, I can't remember who it is. Anyway, he had his act together.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote