New
Find
Notify
Tools

E. F. Spicer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone heard of a gunsmith of this name? Just picked up a 1922 converted to 22 Hornet. Magazine conversion unlike any other I have seen. E. F. Spicer stamped on the bottom of magazine and on stock with small one piece stamp. Appears to be early post war work. Looks like it uses a modified Winchester 43 magazine.
I know, just what I need, another Hornet. 

Thanks.
John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Anyone heard of a gunsmith of this name? Just picked up a 1922 converted to 22 Hornet. Magazine conversion unlike any other I have seen. E. F. Spicer stamped on the bottom of magazine and on stock with small one piece stamp. Appears to be early post war work. Looks like it uses a modified Winchester 43 magazine.
I know, just what I need, another Hornet. 

Thanks.
John

John, you can't stay away from Tulsa.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
John[/QUOTE]

John, you can't stay away from Tulsa.[/QUOTE]

Never know what you'll find there. I also picked up a really neat Wundhammer Krag, but I only owned it for a few hours, a friend wanted it more than me. I also snagged a Unertl small game scope for another project. The crowd was noticeable thinner this show. Lots of dealers complaining about how slow it was.

John

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Slowest I've ever seen it. Was there Friday and Saturday...could have been the OU - OSU game on Saturday made it slow. Wasnt there Sunday...was it any better? Got a table for next April.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About the same sunday. We bugged out about noon sunday. We'll be there again in the spring.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now John,

I didn’t exactly hold a gun to you over the Krag...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a Fred Spicer in Montana. Pretty good stockmaker from what I remember.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone on another forum said the same, but I have not found anything on him. From the looks of this rifle I would say this guy was more of a gun mechanic than a stockmaker.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK,
This may start off sounding a little strange, but I think I know who you are talking about.
I believe I used to cut his widow's yard.
Anyway, there was a E.F. Spicer (Farnum Spicer) that lived in the same town as me near Asheville, NC. He moved here from Schenectady, NY. By the time I met his wife in the late '90s, she was in her late '70s and had sold off what was described to me as a complete machine shop in her basement. He was a hunter and somewhat of a gunsmith and from time to time she would give me what was left of some of his tools as she was planning on moving into an assisted living facility. He was one of those people you could tell that was detail oriented as everything she had left was carefully organized, labeled and well cared for. I do know he liked to hunt and she mentioned that he had been on at least one safari, a camel safari in, I believe Kenya. I know he did some gunsmithing but most of his tools had already been sold off. I got some things like bluing tanks, thermometers, etc. from her. Anyway, I would be 95% positive this is the person you are talking about.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote