New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 721 in a plastic 700 stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Never worked with plastic? stock before. Dropped a 721 action into a factory 700 stock. It lined up with mid-point front and back. Tang is about 0.1" proud of stock. If I inlet it deeper it wont line up with the mid-point. If I add more to the stock to bring it up to the tang what do I use that will stick? The PTG trigger guard is also a bit proud but I can probably inlet that deeper to no ill effects other than shaving down the magazine a bit.

Do the more recent 700 actions have a different radius or lower tang than the 721? Don't have a 700 to compare it to.

Thoughts? Thanks guys.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Might get more help in the Gunsmithing Forum just a few topics down...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This is gunsmithing.
Short answer is that they re the same. Your tang should not have a gap; look where it is hitting.
Trigger guard from PTG I know nothing about but I used a standard 700 bottom last time I built a 721.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use a bedding product you well have use a manual locks to hold it to the stock.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I recommend you find out why it is not sitting down on the stock like it should first.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 721 magazine box is deeper than any M700 magazine boxes

Try the barreled receiver and guard by themselves

A few years ago I put a 721 in a DBM stock and converted the receiver rails to accept the DBM magazine

James Wisner

Posts: 1429 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 700 TupperWare stock requires material removal forward of the rear action screw hole.

'Tis the difference between a 700 w/ M.Walker trigger group inlet & a 700 X Mark trigger group inlet.

Material will also need to be removed aft of the bolt handle cut in the stock for the 721 safety lever.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
use inletting black and inlet it to fit has worked for me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote