Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
That is plenty short. Rigby forends are too short in my opinion. Just because it is a Rigby doesn't mean it looks good.
It will look shorter and lighter when the tip rounded.
Slant-box, circa 1913 Rigby .303 with too short forend.

That Rigby looks OK to me...

Maybe some spirit stain to darken the wood a bit.

I was going to say, that stock looks awesome to me. IMO, perfect in fore arm length.

Good thing there are options for differing opinions.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Personal preference. How many here appreciate full length "mannlicher" style stocks ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Personal preference. How many here appreciate full length "mannlicher" style stocks ?

Never really cared for them.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When done right with proper barrel, darn pretty, though a PIA to inlet ..... Not much possibility of snagging the fore end

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the looks of a well done full stock, but I appreciate the ballistics of a longer barrel more.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
While most full length "mannlicher" style forearms were typically built on short carbine length barrels, they work perfectly well on longer barrels also. My 1917 Enfield 9.3x62 done by Lon Paul has a slim full stock on a 22" bbl. And one of the most appreciated stylistic features of Pennsylvania/Kentucky long rifles are their stocks.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The LOP has a lot to do with how well a 22" barrel would "look" or balance out . At least to my eye.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Here is a Type A Oberndorf Mauser with the 23.62" barrel, measuring 23" from front of receiver ring to muzzle and 9.4" from front of receiver ring to forend tip.
Pretty close if using the 0.382 factor, 23.62" x 0.382 = 9.02"

The Type A looks quite balanced and with the long length of pull set up for tall Englishmen shooting from the standing position, the forend needs to be long enough to accommodate the off hand reaching well forward on the forend, which it is.

Posts: 3857 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
While most full length "mannlicher" style forearms were typically built on short carbine length barrels, they work perfectly well on longer barrels also. My 1917 Enfield 9.3x62 done by Lon Paul has a slim full stock on a 22" bbl. And one of the most appreciated stylistic features of Pennsylvania/Kentucky long rifles are their stocks.

Now Phil, you know I'm duty-bound as an Enfield man to ask you to give us a photo or two of your full-stock M1917 9.3x62....

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
quote:

Now Phil, you know I'm duty-bound as an Enfield man to ask you to give us a photo or two of your full-stock M1917 9.3x62....

When Potobucket mysteriously "lost" all my photos I gave up trying to post them. I am sure I could learn to do it another way but I did notice I spent less time on these forums when not constantly posting photos. If only it were as easy as Facebook.
Plus my internet is slow and limited from hunting camp.
But if you wish to PM me your email I will be glad to send photos.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once owned a custom done by Fred Wells for himself. It was built on a Mauser action, naturally, and had a 26" barrel...in a Mannlicher stock! It was chambered in Fred's wildcat, the 35 Wells Express; a 378 Wby necked down to 35 caliber. Quite an unusual build.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I hope Phil doesn't mind but here is a pic of his Lon Paul 9.3x62 Enfield.....

....so as not to hijack this thread I have posted pics on the medium bore page...

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally would opt for a carbine 20" barrel on a rifle, but it would also depend on the caliber..I really like the short forend you find on English rifles..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert and I don't have 1% of the experience or talent of some of the people who have already posted on here but I have an opinion based on over 50 years of observation. Smiler

I always thought the size of the cartridge was a major consideration in the stock design. Because the size of the action and magazine box size and the need to manages the recoil of the cartridge the stock design had to vary as recoil increased for larger cartridges.

If you have a 505 Gibbs with a wide and deep magazine box, a stock heavy enough to absorb the recoil and a 20" barrel. Putting a 7.64" long for end on it (.382 ratio) could result in an almost triangle shaped fore end or a stumpy looking one with a large diameter fore end tip or you would have to put a large step in the stock in front of the magazine box.

You have to balance the length of the fore end to the width and depth of the stock at the action. No formula that relies on just the barrel length is going to do that.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12539 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FJOLD

Well said

one of us
posted Hide Post
1st off how large is the hand that will be holding the for-end ?

Do they use a sling ? Is the sling stud arrangement barrel mounted or inletted into the stock ?

How far out on the for-end do you or your client place your hand ?

Is the barrel to be free floated?

Always remember: When in doubt always change the follower

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do! This year started a little weird for me and I paniked and sold the most beautiful mannlicher Segdley Springfield you could imagine. Shortly after things improved dramaticaly and regret sunk it. We have a dandy 9X57 Mauser on the rack now as our lone mannlicher.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Guilty. I just like the way they look. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I remain convinced that rifle forend styles evolved for reasons and the full length "mannlicher" styles seem to have evolved, or been popular, in mountainous terrain as they allowed a climbing hunter a handhold.
Likewise so do snabble forend tips.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm Phil...I have to ponder your analysis ..HAR!
But..I think the wood out there was just to keep your hand from getting burned by a hot barrel or having your hand stick to a frozen barrel

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Exactly, daily hunting in mountainous terrain teaches one a lot.
The old surplus 8mm M88 carbine famous Kodiak guide Bill Pinnell carried for decades had a handhold whittled in the stock right behind the muzzle cap.

And I will verify that the schnabble forend tip on my 1899 Remington Lee and my type B Mauser are perfectly placed for utilizing a rifle as a walking staff when climbing mountains. And a curved steel buttplate digs in for a secure brace

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot