Find
Notify
Tools

C.P. Donnelly
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Enid
posted
Can anyone provide any information on custom barrel maker and gunmaker C.P. Donnelly of Grants Pass, Oregon? My understanding is that he is now deceased. Thanks

Posts: 167 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 16 March 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PASSED SOME TIME AGO
WORKED WITH ACKLEY AT ONE TIME
I HAVE ONE OF HIS BARRELS
NICE

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sure did some nice work. His name is on some fine customs. Been on my hot list for years.
Chick

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He made great barrels and was always a pleasure to talk to. Still have a #1 with one of his barrels, it shoots. Rumor had it that one of his sons was going to keep the business going, but that never came to pass.

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I treasure the memory of spending a few hours in Chick's shop near Applegate, Oregon. He built me a .450-400 on a Ruger No. 1 Tropical 10 years or more before Ruger shocked the shooting world by chambering it in a factory offering. I think it was prostate cancer that killed him.
I paid my respects at his grave in the Missouri Flat Cemetery after he passed.
It was Chick, Parker Ackley and Francis Sell who came up with the interesting .25 Tomcat on the .25-35 case.
Chick had some great stories to tell. One that still makes me smile was one he had heard from Ackley, who oversaw production at the Ogden Arsenal during the war. Elmer Keith worked at the arsenal at the same time, and apparently some of his coworkers got a kick out of teasing him about his height. Keith would get so angry that he would challenge them to gunfights after work ... rotflmo
https://www.findagrave.com/mem...les-patrick-donnelly

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My avatar image is a C.P. Donnally rifle in .35 Whelen. The same rifle was offered here. I missed bidding by minutes. Still bummed about that.

CLICK HERE

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
is he the one that wrote the book on cartridge forming

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
is he the one that wrote the book on cartridge forming

No, John J. Donnelly wrote the cartridge conversion book.

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't CP Donnelly the smith for our Olympic team at one time?
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote