Find
Notify
Tools

rebarrel Ruger 77RSI to 7x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
Can I do a 7x57 on a Ruger 77 short action or do I have to use a long? Thanks in advance.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1242 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure they used the long action on all Mauser based cartridges. The 7mm08 is 2.530 OAL and the 7x57 is 2.850 OAL. According to my m77R short acton it won't fit in the magazine.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you would need a long. If you reload the long would let you seat the bullet out and use more of the case capacity as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77 in 257 Bob, it is the short action. As the Bob (and 6mm Rem et al) is based on the 7x57, I would think they would use the same action on the 7. I don't own one though (a Ruger in 7x57, I have a few rifles in that caliber), so maybe I'm wrong. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My customized m77R tang safety SA started out life as a 220 swift which did not require the longer magazine because of the smaller bullets used. It would be prudent to measure the magazine of the donor action prior to spending the money.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes I believe Ruger used the short action on the 257 Roberts. However the issue you have is the Roberts Std OAL is 2.775" the 6mm is 2.825" and the 7x57 is 3.0715". Same case shorter bullets and OAL. So yes if a Roberts case fits so would a 7x57. I doubt factory ammo would and you would have to really seat the bullet deep.

That said I don't have a Ruger short magazine to measure. So if someone could measure it would help you out.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of hellerlr
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77 short action and it's magazine box is 2.890 ID. I also have a box of 7X57 ammo (Sellier & Bellot 173 gr.) The shells measure 3.020. So make your own conclusion.

Posts: 19 | Location: NW-PA. | Registered: 23 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just for info a Hornaday interbond or Nosler accubond are both right at 1.29" so with a 3.07 OAL the base is about .376" into the case. The neck is right at .38. To me make the OAL about perfect at least for those lenght bullets. I actually seat the wifes 140s longer

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the factory specs Ruger 77s in 257 Roberts and 7x57 that I've seen have been built on long actions.

I have the parts to build a 77 RSI parts gun in 7x57 on either a tang safety or Mark II action this winter. Can't decide which way to go. I have a NIB tang safety 77 RSI in 7x57, but can't bring myself to shoot it.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, a long action it is.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1242 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
260remguy, bought a used 270win ruger 77 tang safety a few years ago that was a featherweight model. OK as a carry rifle for hunting, but just shoot paper and accuracy was poor. Had it rebarreled with an A&B F54 barrel and chambered in 7x57. Replaced the sear in trigger with one made by Basix for the tang safety 77s that really helped lighten trigger pull. The Ruger shoots very good groups at range now.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
I took a Ruger M77 (tang safety) ultra light in .30-06 and had IT&D rebarrel it.

Had it stamped .275 Rigby

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
Can I do a 7x57 on a Ruger 77 short action or do I have to use a long? Thanks in advance.

As pointed out, no.

I had one of the 1980's limited run M77 RSI's in 7x57. It was a long action. I replaced the aluminum floorplate with an all-steel one, and set a 1.5-5x20 Leupold in detachable Warne rings. It had a very nice, dark-brown walnut stock.

All Ruger 257 Rob's are on long actions. Have had several.