THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Converting a Ruger No. 1 into a muzzle loader...?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a Ruger No. 1 into a muzzle loader...?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone ever build a custom muzzle loader from a Ruger No.1 action?

Is this a possible and or worth while project?

Sounds like a neat idea to me but I don't have a feel for what the process would entail....and cost.

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built an inline on a Rolling block that I converted to sidelever. Not overly hard to do, time consuming is all. If I do another it will be on a Ballard action as I think you could end up with a nice little, well balanced rifle. My roller is heavy and I think a #1 would be too.

pardon the poor quality of the picture.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
google smokeless muzzleloaders. i don't remember the company name but they use your action to make a smokeless muzzleloader.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checkout the link. bad bull

Nice but pricey. Guy had one at the range it looked painful. 275 grain 45 caliber bullet at 3100 fps. Loud as hell too. Plugs and muffs three benches down and I has getting rattled.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smokeless Muzzleloading Inc does them along with other rifle conversions. Also, I think Henry Ball may as well.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skb,

Great rifle! Anymore pics?

I am going back and forth between a more traditional style with a peep sight and a bit more modern with a small scope. I love tiger striped maple so I was thinking it might make a nice looking rifle...

Those Bad Bull muzzle loaders really push the envelop! Smokeless as well as Black Powder pellets and the ranges are amazing!

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave,

I can put you in touch with a gentleman selling a .50 cal Ruger #1 done by SMI. The gentleman is a member of a smokeless MZ site I have modertated for many years. He is asking $1k. PM me if interested.

JC

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I built one on a Mauser action about 15 years ago, sets in the safe to this day. Not a safe queen, just hate cleaning the damn thing when done shooting it.
I see no reason why one could not be made up, other than cost of it being done. Useing an inline breach plug is how I would go after it, only need a way to support the ram rod under the barrel. ( no biggie there) It would be hell bent strong for any blackpowder load.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jcchartboy,

What is the address to the muzzleloader website you moderate? I'd like to have a look.

Do you have a pic of the No.1 you are refering to?

Best Regards,
Dave

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 14 February 2011 07:18

Hows that for doubleing up on the mouse!!! Big Grin

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't do that again if we tried! Smiler

Any pics of your Ruger ML?

Best,
Dave

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any pics of your Ruger ML?

Its not a Ruger, it is built on a 98 mauser.

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Sent you the info..

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Converting a Ruger No. 1 into a muzzle loader? That's sort of like putting snow tires on a Harley Davidson.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SMI conversion uses the extractor to re move the spent primer. never shoot one but have handled a few. the gang for there came to some smokeless muzzle loader shoots that i i put on. Great people to meet and speed a day with. Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote