Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x64 Brenneke project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

A few months ago, I spoke with Reto Buehler about working over a very nice 1909 Argentine action I had. I sent him the action, bottom metal and trigger from Blackburn/Swift, a three-position safety from Dakota,and other odds and ends. I spoke with Ralf Martini and Ralf sent Reto a Lothar Walther .366" barrel. I asked REto to fit the barrel and chamber it for the 9.3x64 Brenneke cartridge. Today, Thanksgiving day, I received some photos from Reto of the barreled action. I thought I'd share the progress of the project with you. What follows is are photos of what I sent to Reto, a blank of European Circassian I sent to Gary Goudy, and three photos of the metalwork from Reto. I'll keep you posted on the progress over the next year or so.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful. It's the little details that make some custom rifles really stand out from the rest. It's well on it's way.

Keep us posted.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Awesome wood!

Nice scope bases!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Reto is top notch. Love to see these x64s

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you find the quality of the Swift bottom metal and the Dakota Safety?

Did you choose to have any rehardening done to the receiver?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I think it will turn out fine. Lindy2, I found the quality of both the bottom metal and Dakota safety just fine. I've used lots of both over the years and never had issues. The bottom metal was the first that I've used that was made by Swift and it was just fine. The Dakota safety I've had for a few years and decided to use it on this project.

I did have the action re-hardened. Reto found it to be a little soft so I chose to have it redone. It's not that expensive to have done and, to me anyway, its not worth the risk of not doing so.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too am looking forward to seeing this one come together. Just had a 9.3x64mmm built myself and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Not much it can't do from big to small and near to far.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
out of curiosity are x64s generally built to weigh about what a 375 would? how does the recoil compare with comparable bullet weights?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
out of curiosity are x64s generally built to weigh about what a 375 would? how does the recoil compare with comparable bullet weights?

My 9.3x64 is quite light in weight and with the 320grn bullets I find it pleasant to shoot off hand.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
where is the thread about your's again?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Page two in "medium bore rifle"

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Trying to decide between x62 and x64 for a project right now.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I look forward to further pictures as this project comes together. The components are impressive... I bet the finished project will be stunning!

And Bluefish, personally I would build a 9.3x62 simply because brass and ammo are widely available.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Thanks. Trying to decide between x62 and x64 for a project right now.

Go for the 9,3x70 magnum DWM while your at it.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote