Find
Notify
Tools

Jim Kobe 6.5x55 Build
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Several weeks ago Jon posted some pictures he got from Jim Kobe of a 6.5x55 rifle Jim recently built. Well Jim certainly made the right call in not pursuing a career in photography and focusing instead on gun making. While I am not sure my skills as a photographer are that much superior, I do feel that these pictures do a bit better job of capturing Jim's good work. Any flaws in concept and design of the build are mine. Jim, however, deserves all the credit for well executing the build. The rifle handles very light in the hand and the stock is scaled well dimensionally for the caliber. I purchased the blank from Cecil Fredi and thought it turned out very nice for a $800 blank. I look forward to christening the rifle this coming deer season.

Mike

Posts: 21225 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, and in a great classic caliber.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no custom rifle guy but gotta admit that stock is a thing of beauty.
Amazing how a great craftsman can unlock hidden, natural beauty.
Well done.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Oooo I like that...

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks Mike. It is always a bit nerve wracking when I ship a rifle to a new owner.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well executed rifle. Love the wood! Hope to see this in Cotulla Mike... it's not a 6.5 Creedmoor Big Grin Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wood and stock making. What’s not to like.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just outstanding!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning - just stunning!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just re-admiring this beautiful 6.5x55 and while looking at the cocking piece peep sight, I got curious about the safety. Is it a three position or two position safety? I was thinking there may not be enough room for a three position safety to swing to the rear.

BTW… it is a very masterfully built rifle and in a great caliber.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Wisner three position unit and functions correctly.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Congrats!

The 6.5x55 Swede is still popular It seems.

I have a custom rifle in that caliber as well. Great cartridge!

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful and tastefully done rifle in a classic chambering. Well done.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bumping this back up, really curious what kind of wood that is - beautiful.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Many thanks Mike. It is always a bit nerve wracking when I ship a rifle to a new owner.

If the new owner does not like, I will buy it!!!

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
G.33/40? Nice! Beautiful build, too.

Posts: 7487 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote