THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    All FFL manufacturers must register with the State Dept.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All FFL manufacturers must register with the State Dept.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hold a manufacturing FFL with the BATF and during a compliance inspection I was told that I had to register with the State Dept. and pay a $2250 fee to get a license from them. I called the State Dept. and explained to them that I was a custom gunsmith that only made 2 or 3 rifles a year and did no import/export and did I still need this license. I was told by the State Dept. that I did need to purchase this license. So, guess I will be changing my FFL to a dealer FFL and no longer a manufacturer. Seems like they just continue to drive business underground. Anybody else having this issue?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To just build a rifle, under certain conditions, you do not need a manufacturers licens. It gets complicated but if you ask ATF what is considered mfg, they have a letter out explaining it.

Pm also sent

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Most of us converted long ago. There was a time when ATF was requiring gunsmiths to get manufacturer licenses if they were new applicants. I didn't argue with the ATF as I wanted my license but just as quickly applied for an 01 afterward. I didn't want to deal with the state dept hassles either especially since I didn't MANUFACTURE anything.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I was told that ANY mfg. required a State Dept. license. I was also under the impression that the few rifles I did required no further action than just listing them in the report at the end of the year. Don't think that is correct anymore.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

ITAR: What is it, and why do I need to pay?

Written by Jason M. Wong Wednesday, 19 September 2007 00:00

A great deal of confusion and misinformation regarding ITAR exists within the U.S. firearms industry. In an attempt to clearly explain the requirements of ITAR and the registration requirements, this article will address the ITAR registration requirement.

What is ITAR?
Before answering what ITAR is, an understanding of international arms control is first required. In response to international calls to govern the international trade in firearms and other implements of war, the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 (AECA) was passed as law by Congress. ITAR is an abbreviation for International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Simply, ITAR is the regulation that governs the export of firearms and other items controlled by the AECA. The AECA is Federal law, no different that the National Firearms Act (NFA). The regulation that governs the AECA is ITAR; there is no comparable regulation within the NFA.

Within ITAR is the United States Munitions List (USML), a listing of items controlled by the AECA. The USML can be found at 22 USC 121. As expected, the USML controls firearms (automatic and semiautomatic) as well as ammunition. The USML also governs explosives, artillery, and technological data, but for purposes of this article, the focus will be placed on firearms and ammunition.

It is through the AECA that ATF governs the import of firearms. Similarly, the State Department governs the export of firearms and other munitions from the U.S., for sale on the international market. This distinction is important; ATF governs domestic licensing of firearms dealers and manufacturers, but the U.S. State Department also has an interest in domestic activities related to firearms and ammunition. Within the State Department, the Office of Defense Trade Controls and Compliance oversees compliance of ITAR requirements.

OK… How does ITAR affect ME?
ITAR section 122.1 requires the registration of all manufacturers and exporters engaged in the firearms industry. The text is deceptively simple:

“Any person who engages in the United States in the business of either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.”
There is no definition for manufacturing within ITAR. Nevertheless, a definition from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines manufacturing as “to make into a product suitable for use,” or “to make from raw materials by hand or by machinery.” An 02/07 FFL/SOT is engaging in manufacturing activity by submitting a Form 2 to ATF. Are only individuals and businesses licensed as an 02/07 FFL/SOT required to register? No. Recall the italicized section of ITAR section 122.1. An individual or business that furnishes “defense services” is also required to register under ITAR.

What are “defense services?”
For an understanding of what constitutes defense services, an examination of the USML is required. Providing a service to an item listed in the USML will constitute defense services. Recall that USML section 1 governs automatic and semiautomatic firearms, while USML section 3 governs ammunition. Any business that engages in providing gunsmithing services or the commercial sale of ammunition is also required to register under ITAR.

How does one register?
An applicant must submit State Department Form DS-2032, certify that the individual or business registering meets the requirements of the law, and pay a $1750 annual fee. More information regarding the details of registration can be found online, at the State Department website.

You registered… now what?
For the majority of manufacturers, the ITAR registration will be an annual (or semiannual) ritual. Registration is no different than applying and renewing licenses to operate as an FFL. Unlike an FFL, ITAR registration grants no benefit, no special access, and no privileges. Why bother? Registration is required by Federal law, no different than the application for an FFL. Simply, payment of the ITAR fee is another cost of doing business within the firearms industry. In addition, in the event that a product is exported from the U.S., an ITAR registered manufacturer may apply to the State Department for export approval of their goods or services. Failure to register will prevent an export application from being considered or approved.

You’re not a firearms manufacturer. Do you need to register?
ITAR only applies to firearms, right? WRONG. ITAR applies to all items deemed to be significant military equipment. The guidance system in a Boeing 777 airplane? It’s governed by ITAR. Night vision manufactured by ITT? Also governed by ITAR. Remember – ITAR applies to technical data, in addition to arms and equipment. ITT learned this the hard way when the State Department levied a $100 Million dollar fine against the company for not following the requirements of ITAR.

You didn’t register. What are the risks?
Unfortunately, the penalties for not registering under ITAR are severe. Similar to the stiff penalties of the National Firearms Act, the AECA imposes a civil penalty of $500,000 per violation, and criminal penalties including a $1,000,000 fine per violation, or 10 years imprisonment. Think it can’t happen to you? Think again. During the period of 2004 through 2006, the DDTC levied $60 Million in fines. Of note, there were also 283 arrests, leading to 198 indictments, and 166 convictions within the same period. It should go without saying that a conviction for an AECA violation would likely be a felony, resulting in a prohibition to possession of firearms.

Bottom line: If you think ITAR might affect you, seek competent legal advice. It just might save you from an expensive lesson later.

http://www.firearmslawgroup.co...why-do-i-need-to-pay

The ITAR requirements are written so vaguely that they can be interpreted just about anyway the Prosecution(Gov't) wants. I would seek legal advice from a Lawyer Familiar with both firearms laws and ITAR requirements.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"For an understanding of what constitutes defense services, an examination of the USML is required. Providing a service to an item listed in the USML will constitute defense services. Recall that USML section 1 governs automatic and semiautomatic firearms, while USML section 3 governs ammunition. Any business that engages in providing gunsmithing services or the commercial sale of ammunition is also required to register under ITAR."

OK, does this also mean the manufacturing of bolt action hunting rifles? If it does then this could change the whole custom rifle industry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Complain to your congress critters.
The FAA threatened an airplane mechanic and inspector that I knew because of a plane he signed off on. That plane had engines with an alternate starter mounting position and had been in service with that configuration for more than 20 years. The FAA found the anomaly and then threatened criminal prosecution when the deviation had been in use for 2 decades.

Complaints to his congressmen eventually ended the stupidity by the FAA.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I researched this issue, but as I recall as a practical matter if a customer brings a custom rifle builder an action which he already owns and asks him to build a rifle around it, then the work the builder performs is not deemed to be manufacture.

However, if the customer orders a rifle and the builder furnishes the action as well as all the other parts involved as part of the deal, then his work is considered to be manufacturing.

That may not still be the case, but it certainly is logically defensible. There should be other participants in this forum who are active lawyers. Maybe they could offer an opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa: logically defensible.

Logic has nothing to do with the BATFE and Tech branch Rulings. And Logically Defensible isn't going to help you when you get a new 10 year roommate named Bubba who thinks you have a pretty smile.

For those who have never had dealings with the BATFE and their rulings, my favorite example is the determination that a shoestring and a semi-automatic rifle is constructive possession of a Machine Gun.
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.c...machine-gun-2004.jpg

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have an FFL but I got tired of trying to be in compliance and never being sure which agent might be reading the regs on any given day, or might have a corncob up their back side the day they decided to check my bound book, so I gave up my FFL 10+ years ago and decided to just build and work on pre-1898 firearms.

No FFL, No ITAR, No alphabet soup... and I had my Congress Critter's staff track down and forward me all the information concerning pre-1898 firearms and overseas transactions a few years ago so I'm all good to go with State Dept. and my overseas customers.

I don't miss being able to work on other people post 1898 stuff one bit, it was well worth the trade off not to have to deal with all the headaches, paper trails and inspections that go with the BATFE and now ITAR.