New
Find
Notify
Tools

boyds gunstocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a stock for my savage B-mag from Boyds Gunstocks in south Dakota. This was actually on the 22nd of February. It said they are busy building stocks and it may take up to ten days to ship. Well I have called and left a couple voice mails as well as a few emails with absolutely no reply. Does anybody know if they are still up And running? I have had A similar experience with another company, and now I'm wondering if I am going to have the same experience again. Any info would be great! Thanks!

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually prefer otherwise but wanted to build my boy something different for his first rifle so I ordered a stock in Sky blue with the adj. comb almost 40 days ago. Boyds makes a decent product but their customer relations are horrible. I got results (30% off my order) by posting to their facebook page my complaints. If nothing else call the main number and dial extention 209, the lady, Krista I believe, got things lined out for me.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Really? It has only been 17 days total. How long do you expect it will take to make you a stock? I sense you have not ordered many custom stocks. Be patient. Everyone wants instant results these days and they threaten the vendors with bad internet reviews if they don't get it. At least give them a reasonable chance.

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
several yrs ago boyds' had a huge inventory...and sold directly to the public... then they got a bright idea and decided to sell only to " dealers".... never did define exactly what a dealer was... but they cut their inventory by about 60%.. and stopped making stocks for quite a few rifles.... when that venture didn't pan out, they decided to sell to the public again.... but with a reduced inventory, less quality wood, and longer times... when I ordered my first laminate from them to fit a 1917 enfield, the wait was about 5 weeks....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Really? It has only been 17 days total. How long do you expect it will take to make you a stock? I sense you have not ordered many custom stocks. Be patient. Everyone wants instant results these days and they threaten the vendors with bad internet reviews if they don't get it. At least give them a reasonable chance.

Just my 2c, but comparing Boyds, a company that ships thousands of stocks a month to a custom stock, time wise, doesn't make much sense. Boyds shouldn't promise a 10 day delivery if they cant come even reasonably close to it. My biggest beef personally is their outright refusal to return an email or answer a phone, when they plainly state so on their site. It took me 6 months to get my first stock completely done, but I am not Boyds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider the weather...South Dakota to you...the people getting to work...at ALL stages from Boyd's to UPS trucks getting through and so forth. I was reminded of that when I was whining about Midways long shipping times.

Boyd's OR Midway has NO control over shipping times once the product is in the shippers hands.

You could always go the custom route and wait years or go to Richards or any of the non-existent stock makers with unobtanium woods to offer.

I had no trouble calling Boyd's and getting my last stock(in the last two months) replaced because Savage did a magazine cutout change in 3/2014 and didn't tell anyone.

The woman I talked to knew her stuff, got my RMA going and emailed it the same day and I got the stock off the next day...NO questions. I told her what was going on, emailed her pics of the differences and she was going to pass it along.

As soon as I have confirmation of the new design change I will order another stock from them for my Savage 116 Ruger 375. I have 6 or 7 Boyd's stocks now, of different designs for different uses...I have NO problems with Boyd's stocks, and a C note for a fairly well finished and good looking stock is chump change compared to the effort and cost I've put into finishing a semi-inletted Richards or a custom stock.

Luck getting your stock.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boyds shouldn't promise a 10 day delivery

There is a difference between saying 10 day delivery and their statement to the OP of 10 days before shipping.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a stock from Boyds last year. I called them back the next day to check LOP with the recoil pad. I needed to make a 3/4" change. They said they couldn't change since the order was sent to production. I said that they told me 3 weeks before they started on it and didn't understand why they couldn't alter that dimension. Told it was company policy and I would just have to take it as ordered. I said I guess I better call my CC company. They said I better not, well my hackles got up. They called later and said they would cancel the order.
I ordered elsewhere and got a better stock and a better price.
Time was never an issue.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't have a problem with how long it has been taking. I am, however, having problems with customer service... its non existent. Two emails and two voice mails with no response, as well as numerous calls with no answer. Hard to believe the weather has had the office shut down this long...

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bkmastr:
I really don't have a problem with how long it has been taking. I am, however, having problems with customer service... its non existent. Two emails and two voice mails with no response, as well as numerous calls with no answer. Hard to believe the weather has had the office shut down this long...

No it's a POS run company. I have had several issues, not with their sales but their customer service. Now I am not one to bash a company, but I left five messages over five days with my shop hours, phone number, cell number, and email. Not one response. I got their facebook page and put my issues out there. They contacted me with in 1hr. Then they proceeded to mess the return up and charge my customer a fee for the return, even though it was their fault. All said and done and it's been a month trying to get this stock returned. Not a happy camper.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never used Boyd's, as in ordering direct from them, but I do have one or two of their stocks that were procured thru other channels.

That said, has anyone had any experience with their wood upgrades - Claro or Circassian?

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help 2barrels! It was very useful info. Lol

posted Hide Post
I have bought 4 stocks from Boyds including two custom orders. None took over 10 days to shop, and all were inletted pretty decent and function well for the price. Lucky I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think lucky, just what you would accept.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have used Boyd stocks since they came out with total satisfaction. In point of fact the current 7x57 i am having built on a Sarco/Dumoulin action is witha Boyd stock from Midway. Received it a couple of days after ordering. I a not a proponent of hand inletting and the atendent cost. I believe in reasonable inletting and a precision epoxy bedding job of entire action and barrel. It works for me. They are a cost efective component if you like laminates. I do.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that Vermont Plywood burned to the ground. They made almost all the laminated stock blanks for Boyds, so if you ordered a laminated blank, good luck! As far as I know there is only one company making laminated blanks in the US right now and that's Cousineau. To say they are behind might be an understatement.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 829 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My order is scheduled to ship Wednesday the 25th! I finally got a phone call from a lady atBoyds!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I ordered a stock from Boyds last year. I called them back the next day to check LOP with the recoil pad. I needed to make a 3/4" change. They said they couldn't change since the order was sent to production. I said that they told me 3 weeks before they started on it and didn't understand why they couldn't alter that dimension. Told it was company policy and I would just have to take it as ordered. I said I guess I better call my CC company. They said I better not, well my hackles got up. They called later and said they would cancel the order.
I ordered elsewhere and got a better stock and a better price.
Time was never an issue.

Who did you order the other stock from ?

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those years ago for a M70. They advertised it as a 100% drop in stock and they weren't kidding. The inletting was huge! It would have probably taken 2 acraglass kits to bed that thing! It went back.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stockys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the stock yesterday! Looks great but the safety doesn't function properly. Have to look into it and see what I can do

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have never worried about the ship time as I have never been in much of a hurry.

I have however, had several incorrect orders shipped. To their good, they have made each one right without a bunch of trouble.

My latest discovery is that while they may be able to work equipment, they seem to know nothing about the firearms that go in the stocks they produce.

I looked at buying a stock for a surplus Mauser. I knew that the center to center distance on the action screws is always an issue so I measured the distance. When I went to compare my dimension with theirs it didn't match. Now my measurement was somewhere around 7.625" and theirs is listed as 45/64". Probably a typo.

I email the company and get a response from Lindsey informing me that the listed dimension is correct and if my measurement is not the same then I cannot use their stock.

I'll leave this discussion on that note.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
quote:
Originally posted by bkmastr:

No it's a POS run company. I have had several issues, not with their sales but their customer service. Now I am not one to bash a company, but I left five messages over five days with my shop hours, phone number, cell number, and email. Not one response. I got their facebook page and put my issues out there. They contacted me with in 1hr. Then they proceeded to mess the return up and charge my customer a fee for the return, even though it was their fault. All said and done and it's been a month trying to get this stock returned. Not a happy camper.

Adam

Boyd's customer service licks balls. it is bad. they act like they are doing you a huge favor, but their QC is poor.