New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current Single Shot Project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here’s the latest single shot project I’ve been puttering on in my spare time. I purchased one of the first of Bailey Bradshaw’s falling block single shot actions last summer. For those not familiar with this action, it’s similar to the Holland and Woodward Patent, but reduced a bit in size, and with some unique design features of Bailey’s. He sold this one to me as a barreled action, chambered for the 7x57R cartridge. All of the pictures I have to share were taken with the only camera available at the time, a mobile phone camera and are fairly poor quality, but should give you some idea. Here is the metal as received from Bailey along with some walnut I had on hand that I thought would make a good stock set.

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here I am heading up the bare action to the would-be buttstock. You can see how small the action is compared to my average sized paw. I also started to do some recontouring of the top surfaces of the action at this point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the action fully inletted to the stock, I could finally reach for the rasp and get on with the shaping. I like this part. It feels like I just past the last buoy marking the end of the no-wake zone and I can finally get to it and make some good progress.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next I filed the quarter rib to a gentle curve and milled the features needed to accept the Talley scope rings. This pair is QD and 7/8” diameter. I put the rifle on the scale for the first time to get a hint at what the final weight will be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the stock sanded and ready for oil, it’s time to add a measure of Duane’s alkanet root for some of the reddish color that I enjoy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And here it is this weekend during the initial test-firing. It looks like it will be plenty accurate: at 100 yds. the Hornady factory loads consisting of a 162gr. “SST” bullet grouped at 1.5” while a mild hand load of Sierra’s 130gr. SP and 41.0 gr. Of IMR 4064 grouped just under 1” for five shots with the 1.5-5x20mm scope during break-in. Without scope, but with sights on the 25” barrel, it weights 5 and ¾ lbs. In the coming weeks I’ll polish and rust-blue the metal and teach myself to checker the stock (with the steep part of the learning curve happening on some scrap wood first). I have to say that I really like the way it’s shaped up at this point though. I think this is going to be one of the few rifles that I’m constantly reaching for when headed out for a hike.

One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
Awesome job, looking forward to seeing the finished project.

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks really nice! Eeker
A classic cartridge for a classic(and classy) gun.

m

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian,
I really like it! Nice piece of wood.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks T&M.

And thanks, Butch. you know, that was actually a $200 blank, if you can believe it. It was very small in size... cut to the minimum dimentions for a straight-grip shotgun. There wasn't any margin for error, and I couldn't get too creative with placing the layout as you can see from the photo. But, for $200, I wanted to see if my gut was right that I could get that slender pistol grip stock out of it after all.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Great little rifle. Well done. What does she weigh?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
Scroll up the page and see it on the scales.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.....Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Work!!

tu2

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only am I impressed with your skills, but also with your shop and equipment.

Very Nice!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awsome!

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Nice rifle.

ENJOY!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great Ian,

Only change I would make would be to the forend, more taper to a smaller front end, but that's just for my taste.

Sounds like she shoots good too.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw

quote:
Looks great Ian,

Only change I would make would be to the forend, more taper to a smaller front end, but that's just for my taste.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, maybe even add an Alexander Henery forend but you know what they say about opinions.

I'm sure Ian built it just the way he wanted it.

It is a very nice little rifle great job Ian.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch for the kind words guys. It’s fun to share projects like this with the group here, and I truly appreciate your feedback. Bailey has made me and I’m sure quite a few other serious single shot fans very happy by deciding to offer such a neat action/rifle.

Bailey/AKshooter, I know what you mean about the forend taper. Part of me wanted to just mimic the traditional style common to the sporters of the day, but I got to this length and taper and had to put the tools down because it simply felt so good in the hand. I could never quite figure out, besides for stylistic reasons, why Gibbs and others decided on the severe reduction in forend diameter right after the receiver. Here are a couple full length and orthogonal pictures to more accurately show how the forend I chose matches the rest of the rifle.

I also wanted to ask you, Bailey, on the rifles that you’ve finished, did you make a cover plate for the forearm screw hole, or leave it open as I’m showing here? I haven’t decided whether to add a cover or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great looking project, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
oh, man. what a sexy rifle.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

I cover the forend screw with an oval escutcheon. It's more work, but the rifle looks more finished.

Your forend looks good. The Gibbs rifles ( and all of the other Farquarsons) were much larger actions than my design. That allowed for the abrupt taper of the forend.

I may have been out of line saying anything about your forend in the first place. It has a nice flow, and if it feels good, leave it alone.

I'm thrilled to see one of my actions put to such good use!

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Ian,
I think I must have hired a blond to export my Bradshaw SS kit as it has been down at a Montana FFL since Oct. awaiting US export papers.. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Low Wall:
Beautiful rifle Ian,
I think I must have hired a blond to export my Bradshaw SS kit as it has been down at a Montana FFL since Oct. awaiting US export papers.. Roll Eyes

I have wondered why I hadn't heard from you. I can't beleive it has taken so long. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's just flat out nice!!!!!

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Is this just a hobby or a profession? Beautiful work.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch, fellas.

Storms - no just for fun, nothing near professional, but maybe some day.

Low Wall - what will your's be chambered for?

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Ian, it's nice to see you wonderful skills on display again. Thank you for sharing the photos.
I am still quite fond of the other single shot you reworked and transformed into a beautiful piece of art.
I remain amaazed at your skills.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful rifle mate. Well done.

Afro

Posts: 50 | Location: East of the black stump,NSW. | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote