Find
Notify
Tools

Simple G33/40
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Finished this one today. 6.5mm x 55mm on 42 G33/40. I don't really like taking photos, so please excuse the smudges and handprints. I think it came out nicely.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
tu2

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very nice John. Great action for that caliber too.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it John!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
What talley bases are those? I haven't been able to find unaltered mauser rings from them.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very classy.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I have a similar in 6mm Rem, my go-to rifle during local hunting season.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I made the scope bases. I wanted the smallest bases I could make that didn't require altering the rear bridge.

John Farner

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.....like the stock layout!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now that is a rifle - complete opposite of a blaser

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an ugly rifle.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Excellent on all fronts!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
That's just beautiful.

I question the calibre choice though (and, yes, I'm not paying for it, someone else is so he can do what he wants).

If I wanted a 6.5 on an action like that (98) I'd seriously look at 6.5x57, but that's just me.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautifully done.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple .. I like simple !!
Very nice ...

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice, clean classic rifle! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super combination of a great Mauser action with a classic stock in my favorite medium game caliber! Wonderful execution of essentials with no extra frills. I am very impressed.
Thanks for sharing this rifle.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done John, well done!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John
Very nice work. The finish on the wood is just about perfect. What finish do you use? What process?

Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
beautifully done

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My '43 M98 was re HT'd barreled to 6.5x55,and was my deer rifle for 25 years .
You did the right thing !! And a fine job it tu2 is .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, indeed!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. For me, that relief on the left side of the receiver of a G33/40 just works. Simply elegant. Jim Wisner did it on my 7x57 Swede.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Finish is WATCO Teak Oil colored with alkanet root. Wet sand each coat, finishing with 1000 grit paper then once dry polish with soft rag dampened with paraffin oil and dusted with rotten stone.

John Farner

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice job...great finish on the stock.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Very well done, John. Beautiful rifle!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really love this rifle, caliber, finish, action, and that gorgeous wood. Is it for sale?

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the compliments. No, not for sale. It was built for a very good friend of mine who specified the caliber but left the rest to me. I don think you could talk him out of it.

Duane W. Made the bottom metal for it. The stock blank I picked up at the ACGG show from a logger who sold me six magnificent green blanks in '09. I have three left but one is a two-piece as it twisted so badly I couldn't use it any other way. I'm using one for a .375 H&H I'm building for my Son.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great classic Love the finish and the bluing is awesome. Did you also do the bluing?

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did the bluing.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, you did a great job.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wonderful hunting rifle. I think too many people here think you need all sorts of bells and whistles to make a custom. Good wood and elegant stock lines and good workmanship are all that is needed.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet mauser. I love the clean lines.

Posts: 34 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done !

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I for one really appreciate simple straightforward looks in a rifle. That really is a good example of that. Nicely done!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote