THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Experience consigning a gun to Hallowell's to sell?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience consigning a gun to Hallowell's to sell?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am considering cosigning a high end custom rifle that did not sell here to Hallowell's I would be interested in hearing from others who have done so. DO NOT suggest George Caswell/Champlin's, having gone down that road before, I will not deal with him.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've known Morris Hallowell for more than 20 years. I consider his business practices beyond reproach.
Know that used custom rifles rarely bring anywhere near what they cost and can be difficult to sell. It was only truly custom to the guy that ordered it.
The exception to the rule are the guns created by exceptional craftsmen who were not particularly prolific.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1791 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback Steve. I know I am going to take a big hit on this one, but I can accept that.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomer,

Morris has consigned 3 rifles for me IIRC. He is a class act.

He will give you an honest appraisal of what it might sell for (which may be less than what you think it is worth). His photography is also second to none.

The only downside is he does not accept credit cards, which I think shrinks his pool of potential buyers.

For that reason only I've been consigning lately with Caswell/Champlin Arms.

That being said I give Hallowell my highest endorsement.

Doug

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Ditto SDH and Doug.

First class guy all the way.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always been a buyer
Guns were as described and packed with much care. All on the up and up. A+ rating from me.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a buyer and a seller with Morris and, as others have said, think he is a fine man and very easy to do business with, would not hesitate to do business with him again.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of turning this into a mud slinging affair, I am curious to know of problems folks have had with George Caswell. I have bought and sold guns thru George for many years without any problems.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
At the risk of turning this into a mud slinging affair, I am curious to know of problems folks have had with George Caswell. I have bought and sold guns thru George for many years without any problems.

Second that...real gentleman as far as I'm concerned

Posts: 3470 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a number of fine firearms with Hallowell Co now, as I rationalize holdings. Morris Hallowell deals courteously, in detail and with expertise.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote