THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    need a low comb stock for open sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need a low comb stock for open sights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a custom built m98 Mauser. It has express sights but the stock is set up for a scope. It is really difficult to shoot it open sights. Where can I get a new stock built for it. I want pretty walnut.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry, if you have a shotgun range near you, there may be a gunsmith who can bend the stock for you, They steam heat the wood, bend it in a jig, then allow it to dry. Much cheaper than restocking it.

Posts: 20119 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iron sights and scope are usually a compromise unless you can find some higher irons. NECG makes some pretty high iron sights that might work for you. Give them a look. Otherwise you'll need a stock with more drop at the buttplate which will cause more stock rise with recoil. A lot of the old Griffin and Howe stock patterns are set up for iron sight use.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 830 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
give jim kobe a call - he might be able to modify your stock

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider going to a receiver sight and correspondingly higher front sight. It would be a lot cheaper than restocking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell...have a new stock made...allows stockmakers to pay the light bill...Bending a bolt action stock usually means a broken stock.

Maybe with a long slender grip and very fine English walnut it could be pulled off.

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Hell...have a new stock made...allows stockmakers to pay the light bill...Bending a bolt action stock usually means a broken stock.

Maybe with a long slender grip and very fine English walnut it could be pulled off.

Best answer yet!

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It has negc sights that are the highest they make, still have to really mash down on the stock to line them up.
I don't want to bend the existing stock because it works with the scope beautifully. I'll call Mr.Kobe.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Barstool(er)
posted Hide Post
A good wood wrasp, sandpaper, and a stock refinish would be the easiest approach.

Barstooler

Weapon of Choice: 30mm Gatling Gun

Over 1500 posts as "Barstooler"

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 09 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
perry,

Take a little off the top of the comb and then lower your scope height.

As one poster said, you cannot stock a rifle to see through both perfectly and it will be a compromise as far as cheek weld.

Using a straight tube scope would work best. If you are using European scope with a large ocular
or a 50mm objective lens you are out of luck on changes to the stock, or a new stock, solving your problem.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of stock makers in the states.Find a blank and shop for a good deal on getting a stock hand made.Lon Paul makes a nice stock but I don't know what he will charge.There should be low prices in these tough times if not tell them to take a hike.You could get a new double rifle to your measure for what some of these guys charge.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barstool(er):
A good wood wrasp, sandpaper, and a stock refinish would be the easiest approach.

Barstooler

Easiest, lowest cost solution.

If the stock is ho-hum, then take the comb down until you're happy, then send it to one of our resident stockmakers to use as a pattern and get re-stocked.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cut down the comb to fit the irons, then refinish to match, done that many times..and hey you can shoot a scope just as good with a low comb as a high comb, millions of hunters did just that with the old mod.Win. 54s and 70s, the Rem. 721 and 722 just to mention a few. If they got away with it why can't modern Metrogents do it...I learned to shoot a scope with a low comb pre war mod. 70, and a Rem 722 and glad I was so blessed otherwise I would would have spent a lifetime believing it just couldn't be done, what croc,just more gunny hocus pocus....I still make my personal rifles with low combs and QD Talleys..Never been a problem and Ive hunted quite a bit. Whats funny is everybody that swears to a 3 point high comb, tries my rifles and sez "wow, it sure points great" I just say "fits me too"...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
There are a lot of stock makers in the states.Find a blank and shop for a good deal on getting a stock hand made.Lon Paul makes a nice stock but I don't know what he will charge.There should be low prices in these tough times if not tell them to take a hike.You could get a new double rifle to your measure for what some of these guys charge.

I hired a cement contractor who was "out of work" A look at my shop floor will t ell you why he was out of work.
No tough times that I'm aware of, and I'm in touch with a number of others who have all the work they can handle

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote