New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunstock Blanks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are some of the best , reliable sources/options currently for purchasing a English, French, Bastogne, Turkish bolt action rifle stock blank?

Not looking for a exhibition blank but a stable , properly dried blank that can be used immediately , that has strong grain flow balanced on both sides, some strong black mineral lines, no marbling around the pistol grip to the forend, medium to dark brown coloration , no red or blonde coloration.

The blank will be used for a big bore.

What should one expect to pay for the above described blank?

Posts: 694 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Cecil Fredi-Gunstock Blanks. tu2 Look him up on the internet. He has over 30K gunstock blanks. If you're close to Vegas, you can personally visit and pick out your blank. If not, he'll send you pics of a number of blanks within your parameters for you to choose from. You won't be disappointed. All of my big bores carry Cecil's Bastogne wood. I also have rifles that carry English, Maple and Myrtle wood-all from Mr. Fredi. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second Cecil Fredi. Awesome guy to work with. You can give him the above description as well as a rough idea of your budget and he'll send you pictures of dozens of blanks that fit that criteria. With Cecil you always know the wood is dry as well. I've ordered from ebay before and had to let the blanks sit on the rack for a couple years before they were usable.

Posts: 579 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Cecil Fredi also, with great results.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNR:
I second Cecil Fredi.

Well Mr MNR,
I've got to say that to some (me), your stock making video is pure gold and wonderful to see the &*$^&-load of hours compressed into a 7 minute production! I'll watch it over and over. True art!

Thanks,
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
FYI:

Cecil's website

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Zeke! I greatly appreciate your feedback.
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNR:
I second Cecil Fredi.

Well Mr MNR,
I've got to say that to some (me), your stock making video is pure gold and wonderful to see the &*$^&-load of hours compressed into a 7 minute production! I'll watch it over and over. True art!

Thanks,
Zeke

Posts: 579 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
MNR, I have to chime in about your well-edited stock making video. I love seeing all your well thought out jigs. Given all those jigs, I’m surprised to see you checkering free-handed.

If I had had any idea stock making was so quick and easy I would have been making my own for all these years!

Thanks for sharing your work with us.
Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Forrest! Funny thing about the checkering cradle is that I have one. But when I first started out I couldn't afford one and ended up checkering dozens of stocks before getting one, then it was hard to switch over. My wife said I should have used it for the video though as it would have looked more professional.
I'll also be the first to admit that checkering is a weak spot for me as a gun maker. Not that the finished product is lacking in any way, but I'm very slow (usually 30+ hours into a checkering job). Using the cradle and switching over to a power checkering tool would probably help me progress in this area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MNR Enjoyed the video. I noticed your way of holding the checkering tool with straight fingers. As arthritis is limiting my ability to clench my fingers and hold the tool, I'll have to try your method. Thank you.

Posts: 41 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Cecil has some nice blanks like you described in the 200-300 range.
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
What are some of the best , reliable sources/options currently for purchasing a English, French, Bastogne, Turkish bolt action rifle stock blank?

Not looking for a exhibition blank but a stable , properly dried blank that can be used immediately , that has strong grain flow balanced on both sides, some strong black mineral lines, no marbling around the pistol grip to the forend, medium to dark brown coloration , no red or blonde coloration.

The blank will be used for a big bore.

What should one expect to pay for the above described blank?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4WD

My good friend Lon Paul is a pretty well known custom builder. He uses Cecil Fredi a lot.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Roger Vardy Rifles and Stockwood. . He has some fine English Walnut blanks, and priced right, too!

Posts: 689 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to remember the exchange rate when pricing Roger's blanks. Their dollar is worth about $.669 or about 67 cents. A big advantage to us in the USA. Also, he has charged me no more than I have paid for shipping here in the old USA.
Roger Vardy is just very hard to beat. His wood is truly dry and seasoned. It is a very hard wood that takes checkering real well.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
www.fanousigunstock.com

Tell him I sent you...he'll treat you right. Turkish Walnut

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best wood Ive found is OLD WORLD WALNUT, Bill Dowtin....I tell him what Im looking for and he sends me exactly that..A number of well known gunsmith ask me where that wood come from..His wood is Russian Walnut and he is in partnerships with the mill in Russia..Old big trees, its the same walnut as the Turkish just on the other side of the border, The turks steal a lot of Russian, and the Russians shoot a lot of turks! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote