New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Rib treatment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you who have customs with octagon barrels with integral ribs or 1/4 ribs, what treatment do you give the top of the rib?

I particularly love the wavy pattern on older german sporters. Does anyone do anything similar these days? How was it done? Roll form? By hand?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Roll die machine.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I wondered if it was not some form of roll die. Anyone do anything similar these days?

Maybe it is time to talk to grandpa about making one up.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I know there are quite a few with roll die machines, but I'm not sure if the machine is big enough to roll an entire barrel. You might talk to Doug Turnbull. I know he rolls factory type lettering onto barrels. He might, or at least, might know someone who does.

Good luck

Roger

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
A rib matting machine is what you need.

The guy that used to work on all the 21s had one... Keith something???

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a piece of scrap, try a "rat tail" or round file..roll the file perpendicular to the bore like a rolling pin. A not unpleasing pattern will result

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Thank you for the tip! I will give it a shot tomorrow.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want something a little more consistent looking, I would grab a lathe knurling tool, and try to set up some sort of pressure/rolling system that puts quite a bit of pressure on the wheel and rolls straight. The type of knurling wheel would determine the pattern. Two trips though in opposite directions with a diagonal wheel should give a diamond checkered pattern.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I was in gunsmithing school I made one up from a rat tail file. I cut a section from a large one and ground the ends to fit a ball bearing on each end then put it in a 'Y' shaped handle which I used in a vertical mill. I only did pistol ribs but it made excellant patterns and I still have it somewhere around. That means I've used it off and on for over 50 years. The bearings were used ones from the auto shop so the investment was only labor and the file.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see that, anyway to get a pic?
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'll look for it and if I can find it I will post a pic. Been years since I even thought about it. I do remember the ends of the file for the bearings were ground using an old tool post grinder setup with the file held in a collet. Don't remember what the bearings were except they were rather small ball bearings with no seals and I would have to flush them out everytime I used it. Used it for a lot of 1911 ribs which were popular back in the 50's.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
couldn't you just program a "wavy pattern" into a cnc milling machine and run it through?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could if I had a 3 axis CNC, or if the top rib was flat.

I had considered that... but making a tool was cheaper than buying a 3-axis Smiler

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

I love my Simson 9.3X62 - Octagon to round barrel. I wish I could get such barrels done at an affordable price - I would then get a 404 Jeffery right away.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote