Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apex barrel
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know anything about Apex barrels? I just saw an '03 chambered for 7x57 with an Apex match grade barrel. I can't find anything on them.

Art

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old company, mentioned in some of the old 1940s/'50s/'60s books, and apparently had a pretty good rep since the name appeared to add a certain distinction. At least in the writers' minds it did (G).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe, I would have posted over on Dbl.G forum but thought I would put it here instead. I ended up buying it at a reasonable price. It's mated to a 1920 ca. Springfield action in an attractive stock. I'll find out soon if it's a good one.

Art

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see you over here, Art! Good luck with your Springfield, you know I have a soft spot in my heart for nice 1903s, just can't afford enough of 'em...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
you know I have a soft spot in my heart for nice 1903s, just can't afford enough of 'em...
Regards, Joe

I'm with you on that Joe. I sold one of my Bavarian rifles to drum up cash. I'm now at the point I sell one to buy one. The problem now is I don't have many left I want to sell.

I need another 30-06 like a hole in the head but I have been wanting a 7mm. This one is not super special but I just liked it. I'm not a big fan of hot blue and wished it had been rust blued.

Art

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice rifle!
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could find one like that!
Regards, Joe

posted Hide Post
Some additional pictures.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I really like the shape and lines of that stock, wish I had a twin to it!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
Apex was a barrel maker named Sam May and located in the Los Angeles area. His barrels are cut rifled using a broach. Some years ago Numrich aka Gun Parts sold off any remaining inventory. I had used two and they shot well but the word was quality became poor on later production. For many years Apex was a favored name with those who prefered cut over buttoned

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
As a young man, my mentor bought Apex barrels esp. gain-twist ones, also we rebarreled revolvers with Sam's barrels.

(P.O. Ackley had recommended him as I recall)

I think he moved from Ca (may be Sunland or Sunvale) to AZ (Flagstaff I think) in the 70's.

Also, at one time Flaig's also had an "Apex" barrel--don't know if they were Sam's or not.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have seen a few Apex barreled rifles that were stocked by Monte Kennedy.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The July 2008 (Volume 56, Number 3) edition of Precision Shooting has an eight page article starting on page 45 by J.C. Munnell entitled "Apex", which is filled with facts about the Apex company, and its association with Monty Kennedy.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I met Sam May when he moved from Calif over to Flagstaff in the early 70's. He did some great barrels for me and after he died his daughter tried running the business for a little while until Lex Webernix and Randy Brooks purchased it.
I understand that union quickly faded and haven't heard of the brand since.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of Sam May's barrels on a Mauser. It is chambered for 375 JRS Mag. It was a real shooter too. Several guys in my area were big on his barrels back in the early 90's. The one thing I remember is that he was very reasonable on his prices. I bought a 7mm mag with a heavy barrel and decided to rebore and chamber it for 375JRS. IIRC he did the rebore and rechamber for $85. I wish him and Les Bauska were still around, I could afford to build a lot more rifles.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote