THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Scope recommendation for custom .22 LR.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendation for custom .22 LR.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi

I'm currently having a nice little .22 made up along the lines of an English stalking rifle. Interested in your thoughts on a suitable scope. I don't really like "compact" scopes but also don't want anything too large on such a little rifle. I have a Kahles 2-7x I'm thinking of using but thought I'd see what you blokes reckon?

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Leupolds my self.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obvious first choice for me would be the Leupold Rimfire Special 2X-7X.

Second would be the Leupold EFR 3X-9X.

I also have an older Lyman Alaskan with Litschert attachment (total ~6-7X) that goes well with some older-style smaller rifles. This is an unusual combination but might give you some ideas for a more interesting approach.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to see pictures of the actual gun.

Thanks

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold made an Alaskan in 6X but dont see many.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
check out the caliber specific Cabela's rimfire scopes. I have one for my 17 HMR and it's great.

Weaver makes a nice rimfire scope as well.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please post pictures. The 2x7 Kahles should work. I have the Leupold EFR 3x9 on one rifle nice scope but not for your project.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

There's not much to take photos of at this stage unfortunately. My gunsmith has only just started work on it. So far he has removed the pinned original barrel, threaded the receiver and threaded and chambered the new barrel(Walther). He has also made and silver soldered on a Mauser style recoil lug and is working on a Mauser style bolt stop. All this on a Kimber Classic action - the one with CRF.

Can post photos so far if anyone is interested.

I must admit I'm still leaning towards the Kahles - short, light, great optics and looks the part.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
look at the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36. Nice and compact, light and 1" tube
but the Kahles should work fine
Unless you want minute of gnat accuracy, then you might want higher magnification

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The advantage of the Leupolds is that their parallax is either already set (Rimfire Special) or can be set (EFR) for the shorter distances of 20-60 yds or so. If you've ever tried to pinpoint a squirrel's eye at 20 yds you'll appreciate this feature.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Leupold 3x9 EFR. I have one on a Anschutz and love it.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timely post! I'm just scoping up a new Anschutz 64 today. I intend to use it for offhand and field practice in my woods to sharpen my marksmanship from actual shooting positions. I bought one that weighs and feels like a full-size hunting rifle, so I may scope it with one of my usual hunting scopes. I am currently using the Leupold 4.5x14x50 ILL with a 30mm tube...certainly more than I need but it will best approximate the hunting rigs I use.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a NightForce?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zoboomafoo_dude
posted Hide Post
I've got a Leupold 3-9 with the LR reticle. Zeroed at 50 yrds the two lower dots are right on at 75 and 100yrds.

Posts: 93 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without seeing the lines of the rifle and its size, any suggestion is just a guess however wuth that said you may want to consider using a Leupold Alaskan. These have 7/8" tubes and generally look very nice on 22's as they "scale down" the package. There finish also isn't bad as a match to rust blue on the gun. The 2 1/2 power looks great with quarter ribs and the 4 power is nice for the appropriately located island sight (or lack there of). Best of luck, Ed

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 335 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Like others, I would recommend the Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 mm Ultralight EFR scope for a fine .22RF rifle (Current Model #LEU58520). It features an adjustable objective and duplex reticle and is an excellent scope for a .22RF.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Jeez, I have a 4-12 Burris Compact on my Anschutz and a 4-16 Signature on my Cooper LVT, both scopes look great on their perspective rifles, if we could see a pic of your new rifle it would be much easier to figure it out, heavy, thinnier barrel, slim stock? etc?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti...x?Item=217236700#PIC

This isnt my rifle, but same model. My rifle looks much better.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys

Here are a couple of photos.

My .22 will look very similar to this when finished - same stock shape and style, same overall proportions. My rifle will have square bridges for Tally QD mounts tho.

Thanks Phill, for permission to use the photos of your lovely little .223 - just hope my thread doesn't get hijacked now by admiring fans of the .223!!!!! Smiler

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Nice little rig, I wouldnt go too big on it, found these 2 nice Burris scopes(what else would I suggest).

http://www.burrisoptics.com/timberline.html

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
You decide.

Cooper 57M with custom French walnut with a VX3 1.5-5 in S&K bases/rings.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
Perhaps a NightForce?

Hah! Tried that simply for the purpose of testing a few dozen different types of 22LR ammo. Don't think it looks to classy! hilbily

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The 2-7 Kahles will be ideal.
Use to shoot thousands of rabbits with a full wood 22 Anshutz with a 4# Swarovski but would have preferred a little more magnification for those head shots.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GG375 is the Kahles the rimfire version? They do or did make a rimfire version in 2-7x. If not I would go for one of the lower power Leupold VX3 and have their custom shop fit the fine duplex reticle and adjust the parallax for 60yds just like their rimfire scopes. These are both standard custom shop options. The lower powered VX3s should not make the rifle look too top heavy.

Posts: 21 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 10 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Leupold 3X fine cross hair would be charming !!!!
I intend to finsh my 52 Win. and add a 3x to it ...

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi OZ

No it's not a RF version unfortunately - and I'm not sure what practical difference that will make. I know what the theoretical difference is tho!

I like your idea re a VX3 tho - a 2.5x8 from the custom shop might be the go.

Cheers.

GG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan

Nice Cooper. Was the parallax on the 1.5x5 changed or as is? If as is how did you find it? Any practical disadvantages?

Cheers.

GG

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:
Alan

Nice Cooper. Was the parallax on the 1.5x5 changed or as is? If as is how did you find it? Any practical disadvantages?

Cheers.

GG

GG

parallax is set as it came from the factory. Does not seem to affect my ability to shoot it as I'm able to keep my groups under sub 1/2 MOA at 70 yds ; my zero range.

Off the bench

Off the bench but with my off hand under the forend.

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
For my old Kimber of Oregon Custom Match 22LR, I chose a Leupold 2.5-8X matte. I sent the scope back to the factory and had a fine duplex reticle installed, and the parallax reset to 75 yards.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

That is one FINE looking 22! beer

Alan

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
This scope was what I had in mind as well, it would blend in with the styling perfectly IMHO.

quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
You decide.

Cooper 57M with custom French walnut with a VX3 1.5-5 in S&K bases/rings.

Alan

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would consider the Leupold fixed 2.5X compact.

My favorite scope...

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
The Leupold EFR is well proportioned to the CZ452 so shouldn't look oversized on similarly compact rifles.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote