New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zollinger G33/40
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Am I missing something or is this a steal?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/927...om_Mauser_G33_40.htm

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Are chamber pressures any higher in a 257 WBY than in a 270 Win?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SAAMI specs are nearly identical (65k & 66k).

Not my choice of cartridge for that action but still...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
Am I missing something or is this a steal?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/927...om_Mauser_G33_40.htm

It is a steal for someone, but not for me. The transition from the grip to the comb looks hideous to me, but that's just me. Some folks might think it's greatest thing since sliced bread.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the comb.what was he copying??

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The comb and grip are hideous but that's Zollinger's signature look.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not my style either, I was looking for an action and came upon it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
+1 on the comb.what was he copying??

A canoe paddle? Big Grin

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ColoradoMatt: It is a steal for someone, but not for me.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was posting from my phone so I didn't go into much detail. Here's what I should have said in my original post:

From time to time I surf Gunbroker, etc. looking for desirable actions for future custom rifle projects. Obviously, a G33/40 is on my short list of actions but it's not like I'm the only one looking for them so the prices are usually more than I'm willing to pay. Yesterday I spotted the Zollinger rifle and was surprised by the price.

Given the current value of G33/40 actions as well as the market rate for custom rifle parts and labor, I would say that rifle would be a great value for someone who likes the looks. It is not my style at all, it's downright ugly to my eyes. Too bad there's not someone out there dying for that stock and willing to pay a grand for it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look that bad to me.... Kind of interesting actually. I would need to see a couple more photos, though.

And a bit of careful wood removal could make a big difference.

But I am not a WBY fan, and the wood looks like Claro.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants more pix, I got a set of them from the seller. Nice piece, but no ebony forend tip, which I like on my custom rifles. Looks like a 26" barrel, no sights. It has a jeweled bolt, and weighs 6 1/2 lbs.

If you PM me your email, I'll forward the whole email with pix and the contact name and phone number.

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have handled a LOT of Deans rifles and even own a couple and that comb nose is not his typical style. But like any gun builder he has had to do work to customers specs that are not in a style he would normally do. And the fact that the stock is claro instead of his much preferred french and in a caliber he would never normally build on a 33/40 makes me think that is the case with this rifle.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have handled a LOT of Deans rifles and even own a couple and that comb nose is not his typical style.

It looks like the comb on your pimp gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, this type of comb was sorta in fashion...Didn't last long, near as I can tell. I'm sure he was trying to satify a customer's taste.

Having said that there's room to send it back to him and let him re-shape into his normal style..looks to me like there ample wood to do so......THAT may make it a steal!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I had one from Dressels built like that a few years ago. It's not classic but I like it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like the grip could be curved a bit more around the top and recheckered but would still have the straight comb, which may be OK for scopes but not enough drop for me.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is the one from Dressels I spoke of. It's unique and works great for a scoped rifle. I'm a big fan of the "classic" style too but it's nice to open the safe and not have it full of rifles that all look the same.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a far better looking rifle, in my opinion.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ditto, I think there's enough meat around the grip to whittle down where it looks more like Terry's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the style may not be exactly what some like, the rifle certainly is a fine piece and a very good price/value.
The 257 Wby isn't the down-your-nose classic cartridge but it's a wonderful round if you actually hunt with it.
I wouldn't build one like that but I'd have no problem owning one..... if it shot sub MOA and I mean a real not imagined sub MOA.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had 1/1000 of the money that has been spent in the last year by people trying to get sub MOA accuracy on their hunting rifles.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
if it shot sub MOA and I mean a real not imagined sub MOA.
Zeke

quote:
Originally posted by silvertip1:
I wish I had 1/1000 of the money that has been spent in the last year by people trying to get sub MOA accuracy on hunting rifles.

Are you guys having that much trouble getting sub MOA out of your hunting rifles?

I agree that sub MOA is not needed in a hunting rifle, but I rarely have trouble finding a sub MOA load with a bit of load development. And I shoot a lot of stuff that you guys would consider trash, and they all sport low powered scopes.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Here is the one from Dressels I spoke of.

Would that be a reworked BRNO 22F? The bolt shroud looks different, but the Zeiss scope is unmistakable.

I can't believe someone used that rough brick to prop up such a finely finished stock!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a pretty rifle but it's not a safe queen. The rifle was carefully placed there and the pictures were taken. I'm just not in that camp about a rifle losing it's utility.

Yes, it's a 7X57 BRNO 21H with a Dakota safety and new bolt handle. Stuart Saterlee installed them for me and then it was sent to Dressels.