Find
Notify
Tools

Stock blank thickness
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
A question for stockmakers. What is the minumum thickness of a stockblank to accommodate a cheekpiece and a 3/8" cast off on buttstock. Machined on a pantograph.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Roger

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM Sent.

Posts: 101 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I would allow a 2 3/4 in. blank to cut a 3/8 in. cast off. Is the pattern stock made with the cast off? Is this a classic style stock? I normally use a 1 in. set off from the right side of the blank to make a standard classic stock. Then I would add the 3/8 in. cast off to the right side location to start the layout.

My designed duplicator allows the shifting of the blank on the driving spindle head if you have a thin blank and want a cheek piece. I put the pattern stock in position for cutting and then check to see if I need to move the blank. A quick check with the pattern in the flat side up will let you know if you have enough wood for a correct cheek piece.

Hope this helps as you are about to start a tricky job. Look at the design on the USB or the DVD I sent to you a few years back. It may help with the setup. I would not try to swift the pattern on a standard stock pattern to allow for the 3/8 in. off set. I have made changes to my pattern stock by cutting into a pattern at the front of the grip area. Allow a little extra wood and finish by hand in this area. I use a dowel and 5 minute Epoxy to hold the pattern with amount of drop or cast off. I clamp the pattern stock on a flat board and then block into the position I want. Work fast at this point as the Epoxy will setup quickly.

Les Brooks

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Les! Much appreciated.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I built a rigby on a big GMA with 1/4" cast off with a blank that was perfectly straight and 2 1/4" thick. The cast gives you room for the cheek piece.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1840 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
It was from a blank, not duplicated.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1840 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks James!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831