Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser experts, get in here!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
458 Lott Mauser on GB

As a mauser neophyte, what am I missing here? Obviously there are always variables like chamber/bore condition, etc.. - but assuming a fair inspection period upon receipt, what am I missing?

Seems like a pretty nice rifle barring any hidden problems - I really like the case hardened receiver. Can anybody tell what actual base action was used?

Give me a verdict, good buy or not?

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like maybe a crossbolt or two in the stock might be a good idea?

Any issues with the old-school floorplate latch?

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
That one is a beauty to my eye.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Since the Lott is longer than the Win Mag, my first question would be whether the magazine, magazine well, and feed ramp have been altered so that it will feed full-length .458 Lott ammunition from the magazine. If not, it is essentially a very long throated .458 Winchester.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Someone has a lot more money in that rifle than is reflected in the starting auction price. The re-chambering (and initial chambering to be honest) is not helping the value any and the rifle is a bit of a stylistic mish-mash. That said, it is probably a great shooter and might make a good foundation for a "re-build".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That wing-type safety is a custom deal as well, isn't it?

posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle at a very reasonable starting price. My guess is that it's a basic military Model 98 (need to know markings for more exact ID) and these have been used for decades to build custom sporting rifles.

A standard 98 will usually accommodate the 458. WM but some work was likely done to get the 458 Lott to fit. Wood looks very nice.

If you are in the market for a big bore bolt gun this is a nice one IMO. At 2 Grand it's a steal.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Like the stock, like the case hardening, like the safety, like the sights - front and back.

Don't like the rings, don't like the bolt handle, so I won't buy it. That and the fact I don't have money at the moment, and the red tape importing it to Aus. Wink

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think the color case is the lip stick on a pig. The rifle just looks poorly done to me.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the garish super gloss finish is a real shocker, not to mention the horrible newfangled attempt to re-invent the wheel that's been substituted for a sensible caliber, otherwise looks ok.........

Posts: 81 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 06 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have bought it! Looks like a nice rifle to me that with a couple hundred bucks worth of tweaking would have been fine. Don't ask this bunch for opinions because all you will ever hear is negative.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost my nerve after I read the specific "As Is - no returns" in the listing, and never got an answer when I emailed the seller for more info. I'm not going to take a flying leap on $2K.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Can a standard mil action Mauser safely handle a 458 Lott?

Dave

Posts: 918 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It looks like there could be a lot of potential serious issues with it and it is one I would want an "in-hand" look at before I even thought about buying it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Poor inletting around the trigger guard.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
It sure looks pretty nice to me.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, they relisted it now with no new info. I guess they don't really want to sell it since they can't even answer an email! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
I think the color case is the lip stick on a pig. The rifle just looks poorly done to me.
Yep Yep Yep. Al rotflmo

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
It seems like alot of work and in the end you still have a surplus M-98 w/ the thumb slot that I feel really weakens the action.
just my $.02

one of us
posted Hide Post
No refund, no returns

Just for that reason alone I would not buy it.

What's he trying to hide it was a 458wm changed to a lott I would wonder about mag length and feeding my self.

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A clue !

No one has mentioned the box of Hornaday ammunition with only one round fired ...

I guess that he thinks that he will just list this gun and that some one will buy it eventually .

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Duane Wiebe's comments should end the discussion.

I love colour case, but...

Otherwise, nice wood, but hate the high gloss stock and wonder how long the stock will last without cross bolts.

Posts: 10011 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. I wouldn't be too keen on the color case hardening of the action...It's just not done IMO. Color case the cocking piece, bottom metal and screws etc..not where the pressure is...

2. It is very apparant to me the gun is a re-chamber from a 458 Win. to a 458 Lott..That is apparant by the caliber markings. That being the case how was it opened up, all in front is not good, both in front and rear is OK IMO...

3. The wood is black walnut, and not my choice for a big bore but to each his own on that, and again to each his own I dont' care for a gloss finish on a DGR..so some personal opinnion is involved with me.

4. A lott should be glass bedded, and cross bolted twice and a second recoil lug on the barrel, does it have that?

5. The bottom metal is so poorly inletted that I doubt that its original to the gun.

I, personally, wouldn't buy such a gun...It comes to mind that all that glitters isn't gold.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote