THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Walnut stock with Maple fore-end and cross bolt caps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walnut stock with Maple fore-end and cross bolt caps
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted
i am wanting a dark walnut stock with light maple and cross bolt caps. i'm wanting AHR to build my rifle, do they build stocks like this or would i have to get someone else to make the stock? if so, where are some places i can get a stock like this made?

Posts: 229 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 09 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
For questions like this, you can easily call or email Wayne at AHR and ask him. I have not seen him use maple, doesn't mean he wouldn't.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
To each his own I guess but I wouldn't. There's another thread on this forum about the lack of appreciation for 60's customs, you might read it.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Can't see why any stockmaker would not use a nice piece of burl maple for a foreend tip and also a grip cap. Of course i went to gunsmith school in the early 50's and at that time the most common foreend tip/grip cap material was rosewood,ebony,vermillion,purple heart and maple. Slanted and vee'd tips were also popular.
I still use the exotic woods myself and rather like them the only 2 rifles I have had built have ebony tips. I think vermillion goes well with laminated stocks. While I was at TSJC they developed a laminated blank made up of varying thicknesses of walnut and maple. They used lumber obtained from M L Foss lumber co in Denver and glued it with something called 'Fossco' as I remember which seemed to be Elmers Glue. Remington reintroduced a similar stock a couple of years ago. Some people like it some don't. It's your rifle ,you specify what YOU want.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
To each his own I guess but I wouldn't. There's another thread on this forum about the lack of appreciation for 60's customs, you might read it.

i really like things from the 1960s and 70s. in fact a Andy Griffith movie from 1974 called ''Savages'' got me wanting a rifle like this. in the movie Andy's character uses a rifle that has a very light colored maple stock with very dark colored fore-end tip. i know that the opposite of the rifle i'm describing for myself but a picture that a gun maker sent to me got me liking that version of it. however i may go back to the original rifle that i saw Andy using because i want AHR to build my rifle and i asked them if they make stocks like that and they sent me a pic of a light maple stock with ebony fore-end tip and i like it. i need to findout for sure if they will make a dark walnut stock with light maple fore-end for me. i'm really confused about which one i want now but i do know for certain it will be some version of the two.

Posts: 229 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 09 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Maple with ebony tip is not the same as walnut with maple tip. But do whatever you want. Just don't expect to recover much of your investment if you choose the latter and ever decide to sell it.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Maple with ebony tip is not the same as walnut with maple tip. But do whatever you want. Just don't expect to recover much of your investment if you choose the latter and ever decide to sell it.

yeah, i know it not the same but after i saw the pic of the rifle with walnut stock with maple fore-end i really liked it. i'm not going to sell it. but i am starting to lean back to the maple with ebony fore-end like the original one i saw in the movie that i liked to begin with. i don't seel my guns anymore now after i've sold a few and everytime i regret selling them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you do a maple stock, you might want to consider a dark burl walnut tip and cap. I've only done one maple rifle in my life, and it was a miniature rifle for my daughter when she was six. I used fiddleback maple and a highly figured piece of claro for the tip (it had a straight grip stock). Actually looked pretty nice.

I started another maple stock recently. I obtained a 1961 Sako Forester 243 varmint rifle, and wanted a different stock so I could modify it to fit better. Since it is kind of a sixties icon, I bought a really fancy blank of highly quilted maple. When I got it almost finished in the duplicator, it turned out to have a serious flaw right in the top of the action sidewalls, so I had to scrap it.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
Actually, if you do a maple stock, you might want to consider a dark burl walnut tip and cap. I've only done one maple rifle in my life, and it was a miniature rifle for my daughter when she was six. I used fiddleback maple and a highly figured piece of claro for the tip (it had a straight grip stock). Actually looked pretty nice.

I started another maple stock recently. I obtained a 1961 Sako Forester 243 varmint rifle, and wanted a different stock so I could modify it to fit better. Since it is kind of a sixties icon, I bought a really fancy blank of highly quilted maple. When I got it almost finished in the duplicator, it turned out to have a serious flaw right in the top of the action sidewalls, so I had to scrap it.

that sounds like it will look really nice. i probably will get the first rifle built with a maple stock and a walnut tip. then if i still want a walnut stock with maple tip, i'll get the second rifle built that way. how strong is maple compared to walnut? because the next 2 rifles i have built will be very powerful big bores.