New
Find
Notify
Tools

reshaping a synthic stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a cooper 338-06 in the excaliber model. I love the rifle it shoots great and the caliber works good for hunting in alaska. The only thing that I do not like about it is how thick the forarm and hand well is on the rifle. My question is can you get a synthic stock reshaped to Winchester Feather weight style stock and then repaint it? I would not be affecting the barrel channel ect, just the outside. Anyone heard of someone doing this? Any info would be great.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Having re-shaped a few synthetic stocks I would recommend finding a stock that meets your specs and then re-bedding it to fit your action. It is easier.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Having re-shaped a few synthetic stocks I would recommend finding a stock that meets your specs and then re-bedding it to fit your action. It is easier.

I'm not always the most handy, but I've tried a time or two to make a stock. I have to agree with Phil, leave it to a pro and save yourself the time.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
No you can not reshape a synthetic stock. In 99% of the synthetic stocks on the market, the stock only has a skin of fiberglass, not all the way through.

If you want a Featherweight style stock, talk to McMillan they have one. I don't know if it will fit the Cooper or not. But it's worth asking.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote