THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    AHR .700 "Maximus" Elephant Stomper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AHR .700 "Maximus" Elephant Stomper
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Gorgeous Custom...GMA Action..22"/11pds Removable Brake...Killer Wood.Serial #1 of the 700s by AHR..Thanks Wayne & Ed! (Now owned By Bigdoggy) CRYBABY

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is by far the coolest best looking scout rifle I have ever seen. My hat is off to you.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It shoots great too!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tommy, you have good taste on wood, I wish you would not cost me so much money. You need to save me money and start getting ugly riles.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
now what is the point in that scout scope setup? I know it must be fucntion because it would obviously look much better in the right place, but is the recoil so stout that you needed the eye relief? or maybe it is feeding issue?

enlighten me please.

other than that, gorgeous monster of a gun, scary.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Its for the recoil thing,but personally I'd rather a hit in the eye as I just dont care for the looks of it thumbdown That being said,alot of folks luv it and thats fine too. tu2

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Safari, I'd go open sights instead if there wasn't a regular scope with enough relief. but variety is the spice of life.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even Nancy Pelosi would look better clamped in that stock. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Shot Hunter:
yuck

Now thats Pushin it! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weaveman:
This is by far the coolest best looking scout rifle I have ever seen. My hat is off to you.

James

I reckon more than your hat would be off firing that baby!

Looks great. I like the scope over the action, but that is practical.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1910 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFUL BIG BORE RIFLE!! Smiler

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scout scope set up is terrific on real kickers; what a great rifle.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle! I'm curious how the gunmaker has bedded/reinforced the stock other than the crossbolts. Or if he even felt heneeded to.
Thanks for the pictures.

Posts: 71 | Location: southwest | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Shot Hunter:

There is not enough booze or money on this planet.

Great rifle, a little red dot would be neat!

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just said "better;" not "good"... Eeker

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Damn! That thing looks like the main gun on a battelship. How's the recoil on that beast?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recoil is stiff with hot loads. It is quite manageable with the muzzle brake. It reduces recoil by a good 35 to 40%. Definately big bore recoil though!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ken,

Is that the 700AHR you had at the shoot is Texas last October? If so it was pretty cool to shoot it! That shoot wiped out the bug spray I've been using to ward off the big bores. I am a couple payments away from owning a 600 Overkill. I'll be bringing it to the Hoot&Shoot in the fall.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
what is the scope, rings and quarterrib???...thanks, jim beer

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had that one at the shoot and also the heavier longer barreled gray ghost. Most guys shot the gray ghost, less recoil. They both shoot well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!
Now, if I could just get one in a nice little 6 lb rifle, then it would handle well also.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the ballistics on the 700 AHR?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
700 AHR
154gr 4350
1000gr bullet at 2150

This is the data I copied when at the shoot last fall.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can push the 1000 grain to 2300 ft/second and the 1200 grain bullet to 1900 ft. Both have fairly stout recoil though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its for the recoil thing,but personally I'd rather a hit in the eye as I just dont care for the looks of it thumbdown That being said,alot of folks luv it and thats fine too. tu2

I found (suggested by another AR member)another alternative for scope mounting. Although,I dont mind the look of the scout scope mounting, the 700 is a new rifle and requires new ideas for mounting a scope, there is considerable reduced filed of view. Thats bad on a DG rifle.

The other way is to use a weaver one piece base that spans the top of the action. This will allow the scope to be position 1-2 inches forward of the "so called classic" position. For that mounting Leupold makes a 4.5 eye relief and Nikon makes a 5" eye relief scope.

The base looks similar to AK/mil scope base - but it could be milled into an attractive shape once scope position was decided on. I get my base from CZ and its a little too high, a custom builder could do a lot neater job of it. The old Leupold one piece base gets you 1/2 way there, this gives a little more.

I think it is pretty near physical impossible to get dinged in the eye with 5 inch eye relief scope mounted fully forward on any rifle you can keep a hold of.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote