THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    What to build for son's competion rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to build for son's competion rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted
My son has been invited to try out for (imo) the finest shooting team on the planet(USMC). I am not a builder or even a good reloader. Everything I have learned I have learned here....so if I screw up ....it's still my fault.

We don't have the ready cash to just order a 7-10K custom rifle, so we are going to gather the best parts we can over the next few months and put the most money in a good Nightforce set of optics.

I am looking for advice on actions, barrels, triggers, slings, stocks and optics. Heck we can even name it the AR special when we are done.

I know the Marines will supply him once he makes the team....we are just building something to get him ready,

thanks in advance for ALL ideas.

Cheshire

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do the marines shoot and how much would one cost? isn't it a modified 700 rem? How much could it cost to duplicate?

Sorry, I don't really know much about this, I am lucky to hit things at 100yds, but I don't think it should cost too terribly much. I know the local gunsmith and I were talking once years ago about clients that come in and want 1000yd rifles. He tells them that's easy, building a rifle that can shoot that good isn't a problem, or even difficult he said, it was all in the shooting.

I'm not saying it doesn't take good smithing, but I think you can do it with a 700 versus a custom action. don't a lot of competition shooters use Lilja?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a customer with a .308 remington target gun that didn't shoot well at all. Two inch or worse groups at 100yds. Remington had cut the throat so long that he had to seat his bullets out so far they would not go in the mag box. He brought it in and blueprinted the action and bolt, and simply turned the barrel back a couple threads and recut the chamber with a match reamer.

He went out and started shooting 5 shot nickel or better size groups at 200yds! As Dago Red says, it isnt the most difficult thing to do, IF you have a smith that will take his time and do it right.

I would start with a remington action and have it blueprinted. If you have the money you can put an good match bbl, but you may not have the time to wait for a Krieger as they are about 20wks out last i checked. PacNor BBls have never failed me. Thier wait time is not as long either. Factory triggers can be tuned pretty well. I also use the single set triggers as well.

As far as stocks go, get something with a full aluminum block like a Hogue, B&C, or HS Precision. The block goes a long way for accuracy. If you get a factory gun with a laminate stock, you need to get it bedded well and floated.

I dont know about specifics for competition he's in as far as BBL weights and all, but what i'm talking about will be a good shooting gun.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't he most likely be shooting an AR in hi-power?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think the Marines would furnish him a gun???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Go to the White Oak Armament website and order an AR service rifle. It should be nearly identical to what he'll shoot on the USMC rifle team.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Also, you might want to try nationalmatch.us website for more info.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cary,

I know you are proud as can be. I am proud for you!

Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy him a bone stock Rock River Arms NM AR-15. It is fully capable of winning the National Matches out of the box. Right around $1,000.00

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buy him a bone stock Rock River Arms NM AR-15. It is fully capable of winning the National Matches out of the box. Right around $1,000.00

+1.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Marine Corps Rifle Team shoots AR15s (not M16s) built by the Marine Corps armorers. Nothing else across the course until they get into long range competition and then there are special rifles built for long range competition only (once again by the Marine armorers) such as Palma rifles. But long range is a little more diverse. A lot of their long range competition rifles are built on the Remington 40X action with McMillen stocks. Calibers are .308 and .300 mag. mostly but not always. But making the Marine Corps Shooting Team isn't easy, no "shoe in" by any stretch of the imagination. But if you want to prepare him for what's ahead buy him a National Match AR15 from someplace like White Oak Armory, get him on a junior team somewhere so he can get some instruction and get him to the Marine Corp. Clinic at Camp Perry this summer during the National Matches there. Selections for the Marine Corps. team are made from top shooting recruits and those Marines shooting well during intraservice matches.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 829 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Additionally, if your son is going to try out for the USMC shooting team, don't spend money on optics unless it's for a Kowa spotting scope. All of his firing will be with iron sights. the nightforce would be of little use.

As mentioned previously, you should take him to camp perry and sign up for the firing clinics. You may also want to find a local club that hosts highpower rifle matches, lot's of good advice will be found there.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I bought one and I have had him do one, I would use John Holiger of White Oak Armament. He is Gasgunner on this forum. He is topnotch.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Wow! As usual much great advice. I knew that the Marines do supply Marine built AR 15's for match comp. He shot at Camp Perry once when he was in High School and several times at the Whittington Center and has a room full of trophies that his mom hates to dust. He still has indoc to go through so it will be a year before he even get a chance to join the team. He has made friends with one of the PMI's that has taken a liking to him. The PMI seems to think he has a really good shot at making it.

This is the only thing this kid has ever wanted and like a proud dad I have given him the tools to get there. This build will just be a carrying on the family tradition. I shoot a 20 yr old 870 while my boys have the Berretta's and Browning Golds etc.

I think we have a rem 700 action found and an McMillian A-5 with an alluminium block. It looks like the barrel will be the long lead item, that's ok this will be like eating an apple....one bite at a time.

I will post pics as this gets off the ground...just don't expect the pretty pics that you see on Bailey's build.

Cary Cheshire

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look over at www.jouster.com. They have forums devoted specifically to the kind of shooting your son is trying out for. See if you can find support for your son's training. Lots of veterans, and be warned there's even more wannabees over there, but worth a look.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote