Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeffery Muzzle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings all,
What's a good average muzzle diameter/profile for the 404 Jeffrey? What have other's chosen? What do the CZs run?

Thanks

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The barrel on my original 1905 Jeffery 404 has a 24" bbl that is .725" at the muzzle.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
.423 diameter +.125+.125 = 0.673 minimum or what Duane said.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
On this old original there was plenty of weight toward the breech end and then a fairly rapid thinning curve just past the barrel mounted sling attachment.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, and straight off an original, to boot! That's the kind of help we're fortunate to have here.

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pac-nor has that original Jeffery contour programmed. A little over $300.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3289 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd second trying to keep it at .675" at the business end. I just carried mine around for about 4-6 miles a day in Africa for 10 days and I wish it had a thinner profile barrel and lighter stock!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If you actually carry your rifle weight always is an issue. My original Jeffery 404 weighs 8 1/2 pounds and I find that a comfortable blend of carry ability and shoot ability

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Mine is 10.8 lbs with scope; figure more with sling and ammo.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post

Depending on ones choice of scope and sling this one would weigh about the same

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

You Alaskan's are always sticking your rifles in the mud or leaving them out in the rain.....guess that is to wash the mud off. Wink

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received my Lothar Walther 423-14 w/#5130 contour. I had them cut the barrel to 24”. The barrel measures .625 at the muzzle. I plan on having it chambered for the 404/375. This barrel should make a very light rifle.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Cool photo!

Thought you would be wearing shoes up there Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 1909 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You Alaskan's are always sticking your rifles in the mud or leaving them out in the rain.....guess that is to wash the mud off. Wink

At least he didn't give this one the Rustoleum treatment :-)

Posts: 20089 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote