New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPI stocks, yea or nay and why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering buying about four MPI stocks for .308Norma, 9.3x62,.30-06 and .458WM rifles, all on FN commercial crf actions.

Based on experience, what have you good guys to say about these, in depth and why you like/dislike them. No slagging of the company please and no pizzing matchs, just solid info.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've bought either 2 or 3 of their 1# stocks. The largest I have them on is my 340PDK. Basically 338wmag.

The stocks were very rough and required some filling to get them smooth. I bought them for their weight. Yes I would buy one again. Other than the time required to finish I have no negative issues.

I would have no concern on your first 3 calibers and the 1# stock I would go with the heavier one on the 458.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice paint job!

I new a Gun Smith in Grand Rapids, MI that used MPI's on all of their custom builds. I like em but think they've gotten spendy for what they are IMO.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
over the years i have used several of their stocks. i've had no issues with any of them. some time is needed to finish them but it isn't any harder than some i have worked on from brown.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for MPI. Saeed hates them as I recollect. I have one, a semi BR stock which I like, so, I have no issues with them at all.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought a used Dakota 76 in 375 Weatherby already wearing an MPI stock so have no idea what was involved to finish it.
Stock was fine, fit me well, and did not have any problems with it as long as I owned it.
Would buy another.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I've had some good ones, some so-so ones and broke a few but Doc @ MPI has always honored his work.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I like the MPI stocks - particularly because of some of their shapes/styles, but I wouldn't try to bed another. Definitely send the rifle to them for bedding/installation.

It can be done, but I'd rather pay them to.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947