THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Information on Gunsmith P. B. Cain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Information on Gunsmith P. B. Cain
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am looking for information on a gunsmith named P.D. Cain. I purchased the pictured rifle at auction based on the posted pictures, which do not do justice to the rifle. It is a beautifully built and checked 1903A3 converted to .350 Remington Magnum with P.D. Cain's name on the barrel. The gun feeds without issues. Everything about the gun is first rate, including impeccably done checkering. The trigger guard is a 1903 Springfield, and is lightly and tastefully engraved and gold inlaid with the initials "FXD." The only reference that I can find for P.D. Cain is an article on lever action rifles by C. H. Helbig and P. B. Cain from the 19th edition of the Gun Digest, 1965. If somebody has additional information on P.D. Cain and/or (and this is a long shot) who FXD might be, I would appreciate the information. I have not yet shot the rifle, but my bet is that it will be a shooter. After I replace the dried out recoil pad, this rifle is going elk hunting this fall.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3819 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomy, very nice piece. Since it was built on a Springfield, i would imagine it would date back to the early Griffin & Howe and Sedgley era.

Posts: 20106 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Since the .350 Remington Magnum was introduced in 1965, based on the style I am guessing the rifle dates to the late 60s or early 70s.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3819 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There used to be a custom builder named Raymond Cain in Asheboro, NC but I don't think this is the same guy.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 829 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have a bit more info, P. B. Cain is/was Phillip Cain and he would probably be in his 80s if he is still alive.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Probably a long shot but a search came up with information on this deceased person. The article makes reference to this PD Cain being among other interests, a woodworker and hunter.

https://www.findagrave.com/mem.../phillip-donald-cain

Posts: 3870 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thank you, but he was too young to be the same guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the checkering.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote