THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Ballpark cost of machining a Zastava Mauser question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballpark cost of machining a Zastava Mauser question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Charles Daley Zastava action that I want to get macnined into a faux G-33/40. For the guys that have had this done what kind of expense are we talking here? Was thinking I should just sell the action and buy a model 70 and have it rebarrelled to save some money.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Above the wood line don't they look pretty much like a standard milsurp Mauser? I think you'd be much better off starting with something like a VZ-24 than a commercial action. Most of the work is already done...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hntr:
I have a Charles Daley Zastava action that I want to get macnined into a faux G-33/40. For the guys that have had this done what kind of expense are we talking here? Was thinking I should just sell the action and buy a model 70 and have it rebarrelled to save some money.

If saving money is your goal then buy a rifle. You will not save money by engaging a gunsmith.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making a small receiver ring with a large thread leaves you with a piece of junk.
To cut down a receiver in that manner you would have to start with a large ring small thread like a 1909 Peruvian.
I suspect you would need to pay for a day's work to make all the mill cuts and cut down the receiver ring. Say $250 to $400 depending on the guy doing the work.

quote:

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
hntr: just sell the action and buy a model 70 and have it rebarrelled to save some money
Or buy a G33/40

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would PM Shane Thompson (idgmkr) since he originated this practice on TC1's mini mauser.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figued I'd be ahead by buying a Commercial Mauser because the bolt handle is already configured, its drilled and tapped, and the charging notch and lump are not there.

I didn't realize that the 33/40 was on a small ring. I don't care if it is a large ring I'm only interested in shaving some weight off of the action and figured cutting the thumb notch and making the other cuts would save some weight.

I'm still interested if its a couple hundred dollars, but if it gets much above that I may as well buy a complete Winchester rifle and rebarrel.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
personally I would never cut a thumb notch in a commercial action just to save a few ounces. I thought you were after a G-33/40 replica versus just trying to save weight where you could.

What caliber are you building?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And or get yourself a 21 / 22H Brno, Probably save yourself a few $ in the long run. --- John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caliber is gonna be either a 338-06 or a 9.3x62.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338-06 hopes to be a 9.3x62 when it grows up.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, if you are planning to rebarrel anyway why not just build on the Zastava action? Is a Winchester action really that much lighter? Seems like you could shave some weight in other areas...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is a Winchester action really that much lighter? Seems like you could shave some weight in other areas...

It's been my experience, that, yes, the Winchester action is lighter. The receiver itself on the M70 Classic is 6-8oz lighter, as is the trigger guard and floorplate. Even more so if one uses the PT&G aluminum version. The magazine/floorplate assembly of the 98 Mauser-like actions (Zastava, Daly, Interarms, et al) weigh a 'ton'. "Swiss-cheesing" the magazine doesn't save enough weight to warrant the time it takes to do it. Brownell's offers an alloy version, but IMHO it's junk. PT&G at one time hinted at offering an alloy version, but to my knowledge it never materialized.

Combine the weight savings of the M70 Classic action, and other measures common to lightening up a rifle (rings/bases, stock, alloy floorplate and trigger guard, etc) and it all adds up to a lighter rifle.

Just my $.02.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Build it like you want it. That's what a custom rifle is all about. I think a large ring with a G33/40 cut is a neat idea and would look pretty cool.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a pic of my Zastava that Dean Zollinger has for stocking. If it is about money, build it on a Remington.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Hello, details!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Caliber is gonna be either a 338-06 or a 9.3x62.

Since you're in Eagle River, talk to Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms off Old Seward, just north of Dimond Blvd. He does good work.

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bluefish,
I did the metal work except for the mauser cuts. It was done by Karl Feldcamp. I chambered it 220 Russian.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's Jim Wisner's work on a Swede based 7x57 I own. Beautifully executed many years ago.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/u...jpg.html?sort=3&o=47

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Here's Jim Wisner's work on a Swede based 7x57 I own. Beautifully executed many years ago.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/u...jpg.html?sort=3&o=47
VERY Nice work. Awesome wood.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote