THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    New rifle built project, Schmit Rubin K31 action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rifle built project, Schmit Rubin K31 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted
Here in the Swiss the K31 cost very low!! (90 to 120 U.S. dollars).

The action of this rifle for my is very fast and I like this.

The project, aims to change the barrel and stock, I thought of a .280 rem caliber, barrel Walther. And for optics one Aimpoint or other red point.

I wish use this rifle for Wild Boar Hunt.

You like my idea?

The Rifle K31

Member in Shooting Game "Tiro distretto Moesa" www.tirodicaccia.com and webmaster from www.scgroven.jimdo.com Smiler webmaster Hunting website www.mesolcina-caccia.com and fly fishing website www.mesolcinapam.jimdo.com on FB find Al Venza.

Posts: 339 | Location: Switzerland, Lostallo GR | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post

This is my frist customized K31 (right). Is in original caliber 7,5x55 swiss and is very accurate.

Member in Shooting Game "Tiro distretto Moesa" www.tirodicaccia.com and webmaster from www.scgroven.jimdo.com Smiler webmaster Hunting website www.mesolcina-caccia.com and fly fishing website www.mesolcinapam.jimdo.com on FB find Al Venza.

Posts: 339 | Location: Switzerland, Lostallo GR | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the fact that you want to make a nice rifle for yourself.

However, if you would find a nice Mauser action for yourself to put all of that money into, I think that you would come out with a better rifle in the end.

Nice Pig!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know some have been converteted to shoot .308/7.62X51 NATO. My main question is would the .280 Rem fit in the action and magazine? 7mm-08 might be the better option.

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
For the magazine is not problem the law here permit only single shot rifle for Hunt...in my region ( I have permit for two canton Ticino and Graubünden in the last the minimum caliber is 10,2 mm and in Ticino is 7mm or .270)

For the Mauser action I have very difficulty in Swiss for find. I have 2 Mauser all in 10,3x60r caliber.

I find one hold Mauser, is also a possibility, I have saw one but I do not know if it was sold...I think it was an old Argentine Mauser

The .308 conversion is one possibility. But I will try the .280 because I like this caliber.

....and sorry I speak Italian and English via google translate bewildered

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
This is one design of result...sorry I make police man not designer

CRYBABY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just neck the case down to 7mm?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
Confused

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
GO for it, dude! I love Schmidt Rubins, they are really built and function wonderfuly. I have a sporterized 1911, I thought that a guy could change the bolt handle, from a tee handle, to a handle that hangs straight down and allows for quicker and better access to the handle. You could do some cool things with it.

Oh yeah, and the 7.5x55 is an awesome cartridge.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
If you are creating a single shot conversion

the length of the .280 Rem may not be a problem.

The 280 and the .280AI are both fine cartridges.

If a repeater is planned, then the length of the 280 would too long for the magazine.

As Idaho Sharpshooter suggested--

creating a 7 X 55 Wildcat would fit in the magazine.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
7x64?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
In Europe the 280 is a rare bird, I would use a 7x64. Or if you want some kind of magnum a 7mm Remington or 7x66 Vom Hoffe.

I found an K-31 that had not been issued to anyone. And it is very nice. We have shot it a little bit.

I want to do a similar stock with it as the one you designed. The stock Collani made for his is very nice.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10,3x60r:
This is one design of result...sorry I make police man not designer

CRYBABY

You must be a pretty good artist, I would have never included the sling!

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
Yes D99 7x64 is one possibility, one freind at my just the question make.

For the other caliber 7mm rem mag or 7x66 Von Hoffe is to strong for the action, for my is not sure.

For the ammo I have no problem look here this action in my freind armory!! the prise is 25 swiss franc (28 $).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Show us a good picture of your first custom Schmit Ruben.

I have handled one of them, they appear to be very well made.

There is nothing wrong with the original 7.5x55 calibre.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
quote:
N E 450 No2

Yes, wait a next day I make!

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
This is a good mode for varius game?

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
Hoooooo nOOOOOOOOOOO!!! CRYBABY

...this is not one K31 is a K11 more hold model Frowner

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
284 Winchester.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He may have a problem with the bolt face and extractor. The 7.5x55 Swiss has a 12.7 mm rim and the others have a 12 mm rim. Although for a single shot it may not matter. I like the idea of a 7x55 wildcat on the Swiss case.

Posts: 3688 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10.3, I have plenty of 284 brass, if you want to see if it would work I'll send you some. Might be a perfect fit it you want to use a blocked magazine and load that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=184930552

a very nice looking K31 aporter by G. Burgin, Basel. Just bought it through Gunbroker, shoold have it in a couple of weeks.
Larry Racine in New Hampshire builds K31 target rifles, repeaters, in such calibres as .308. He cuts off the service barrel and uses the stub as a collar into which he threads an American barrel. He has a stellar reputation as a Palma match expert. lpr gunsmith.com. However I think 7.5x55 hunting ammo is available from Norma and there is plenty of serice ammunttion available for plinking and practice.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=184930552

a very nice looking K31 aporter by G. Burgin, Basel. Just bought it through Gunbroker, shoold have it in a couple of weeks.
Larry Racine in New Hampshire builds K31 target rifles, repeaters, in such calibres as .308. He cuts off the service barrel and uses the stub as a collar into which he threads an American barrel. He has a stellar reputation as a Palma match expert. lpr gunsmith.com. However I think 7.5x55 hunting ammo is available from Norma and there is plenty of serice ammunttion available for plinking and practice.

Yes this is one K31 for Hunting, the problem of this custom....the extracion of brass in the K31 is in vertical mode, wit this scope mount you have sure problem!!

For scope the best sistem is EAW look this photo:

one of us
posted Hide Post
10.3x60R, scope on Burgin custom appears slightly offset to the left. We will see how it works after I try it out.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.284 brass works fine in the K31. As a matter of fact, many used this as the source for brass when 7.5 Swiss brass was vary scarce in the US years ago. The main problem with rebarrelling the K31 is that there are extraction cams cut into the rear face of the barrel. To duplicate these without the original fixtures would be extremely difficult and so the solution is to use the original barrel stub as an adapter and thread a barrel into that stub. Done correctly, this is a good and safe compromise. There are several offset scope mounts available in the US an Europe for the K31, or I have seen center mounted scopes with a deflector plate to protect the tube.

The K31 is a wonderful rifle, though probably not the first choice for a custom. But you must use what is available. Good luck.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Offset scope mounts work fine on top-ejection lever action rifles.

Around here boar hunting is usually at short range; lots of ground cover means they're hard to see until you're close. Depending on your expected shooting distance, you might want to take a look at one of the "long eye relief" pistol scopes or one of the low magnification reflex sights.

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote