THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Got a cool home-made tool to share?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a cool home-made tool to share?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
What have you made to fill the need for a tool you couldn't just go and buy, something you made that is better than 'store bought' or something you made on the frugal?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Care to elaborate?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3289 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that one measures depth the other heights. JMO wave

Samm patriot

Posts: 406 | Location: The Rust Belt | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Right side up pad grinder jig. Easier to see and follow scribe line and ensures the pad is 100% square versus mounting the outside of the pad to the jig.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
all the bells and whistles I needed

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I want one!

Posts: 5119 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunmaker, I just viewed your website. Your work is stunning. Million kudos.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:

That may even be an understatement! tu2

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
hilbily Dam, I just goin start over

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Care to elaborate?

Dial depth mic.

Starrett supplied the dial, ruby tip and the lift arm. I made the base and collet assembly

Anvil/Step mic.

Srarrett supplied the one inch mic head and I made the base

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Magnetic parallels that will hold in any direction

Over twelve feet of 1/4" dia crs are in these two 1" thick aluminium blocks

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter: How do you like the Rikon? Don't like cheapo junk and Delta stuff has not been up to par. Rikon is looking good.
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
.750 dia Pac Man

For finding the location of the corner of a block if it is in a vise on an angel or the mill head is on an angle

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
all the bells and whistles I needed
tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd say for the price it's good. For doing pads and light metal work it's ok. If I did this for a living, I'd get some big sander like I saw in Wening's shop.

Something like this: Sander

quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Austin Hunter: How do you like the Rikon? Don't like cheapo junk and Delta stuff has not been up to par. Rikon is looking good.
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That should eat through even the hardest hardwoods fairly effortlessly at 2 horsepower.
Did the folks at Wenig's allow you to drool over their blanks? How are they stocked with English? I'm about done with Claro. Got pores like moon craters.
Nicely grained wood is one of my weaknesses. I won't visit places like that (or Fredi's either) in order to protect myself from myself.

Rikon it is. I probably won't use it much. Might even consider the smaller one.
Nice clean work on that pad there.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exceptional even.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Exceptional even.

I was happy to see pictures of my extended tang 416 Rigby on James's website.Yes he does wonderful work.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
That should eat through even the hardest hardwoods fairly effortlessly at 2 horsepower.
Did the folks at Wenig's allow you to drool over their blanks? How are they stocked with English? I'm about done with Claro. Got pores like moon craters.
Nicely grained wood is one of my weaknesses. I won't visit places like that (or Fredi's either) in order to protect myself from myself.

Rikon it is. I probably won't use it much. Might even consider the smaller one.
Nice clean work on that pad there.

I had them fit and do a shotgun stock for me. I didn't give them a price range on the wood, I picked what I liked and dealt with sticker shock after.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this has the cool factor the OP was looking for. Here's some custom hardened and ground headspace gauges for a 22 rimfire 40X repeater. The go gauge I ordered exceeded the specifications of Remington factory service manual. So I home spun a few for the project.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along those lines, made a set of 7.65x53 headspace gauges off the original DWM prints because noone makes them....

Talked to Mr. Manson and he will be making a set along with a reamer. Made these to verify dimensions prior to sending them off.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nicely done James. Much appreciated. Must be nice to have the means to either have or 'make' the right tool to get the job done. I've made a few minor tools and enjoy that feeling of accomplishment no matter how simple the tool is. Might add a few of my own. But first, I'll need to find a replacement web-hosting site since photobucket went from no charge to $400-ish a year for third party web hosting recently.
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Not sure if this has the cool factor the OP was looking for. Here's some custom hardened and ground headspace gauges for a 22 rimfire 40X repeater. The go gauge I ordered exceeded the specifications of Remington factory service manual. So I home spun a few for the project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep a bunch of screw drivers from yesteryear when they used real steel, buy them at Pawn shops for 50 cents apiece when I find them, I make scrapers, cutters, shapers, all my inletting tools out of them, If I need a certain size and don't have it I heat a screw driver, shape it, bend it, grind it, edge it and buff it, I use it then retire it up in its place amongst about 150 to 200 of these babys Ive made over the years, I do very little on machines short of sometimes I do have a stock pattern copied on a bolt gun to save labor and time...I do levers, doubles and single shots by hand for the most part..A lot has to do with mood and mood changes that are more common as I age! and the cost of not doing myself is a factor, oops gunsmiths are supposed to keep this stuff secret!! rotflmo old

I forgot to add I grind old hacksaw blads to get the teeth off. and use them for scrapers. I would rather scrape a stock in than file it, file teeth marks simply go to deep and are hard and time consuming to sand out. properly scraped the stock looks like marble.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Fal Grunt , I appreciate your interest in the ol' 7.65 Argentine round. Got a pet load for it? Pickins seem a bit slim.
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Along those lines, made a set of 7.65x53 headspace gauges off the original DWM prints because noone makes them....

[/IMG]

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I suppose I should specify, factory load choices are slim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hm,

Pictures do not seem to be showing up in this thread either. What the hay...

Honestly, right now I have a bunch of surplus for plinking and use PPU for anything else.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated. I have a soft spot for a 7.65 Argy chambered custom magazine rifle. I'll give the PPU's a go if & when the opportunity presents itself.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The M700 bolt disassembly tool is a copy of one I saw. My friend Herbie (rest in peace) made it for me. The other crude bent metal is to hold the firing pin and spring for a cz527.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I modified a paint scraper to clean up around the shadow line of a couple of my stocks. It will shave the side on only one side. The round edge comes in handy on curves as well.
The Wooden handle was pulled from an auto body board sander and cut on a sharp angle. It works great with a piece of a self-stick sanding pad for cleaning up a shadow line near the pistol grip.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess this is burned out. Can't blame some folks for keeping their inventions to themselves. Thanks to all who answered. Cool stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you guys have all mastered checkering, stockmaking, and metal parts on a lathe it is time to take on a new field in gun making.

Make up a tool to use in learning the basic angles for engraving. If you can checker a stock you could learn how to do some simple engraving after you understand the angles needed to make cuts. Make your own bolt handles and place checkering panels on the sides.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make up a turn table to use with stock checkering cradle and a basic tool to use in engraving without breaking the bank. \
This tool is simple to make and I use it to hold stocks so I can change end quickly and checker from another end if the grain is causing problems. Also use with a drill press vice to engrave as a rotating head.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Les. More good inspiration. I envy you pro's that have the means & of course the talent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
quote:

I agree. That's a wonderful collection of fine firearms.

Certainly worth a peek.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shotgun tool to check the difference between bore dia. and choke dia. If you do lots of shotgun work you can use this tool to find the choke in about 5 seconds. You are after the difference only, but you can also find a swelled chamber which does happen. I made this tool in 1965 and it was a easy way to make a few dollars to verify an unknown shotgun. Charts are available to compare the choke size per gage. Just zero the dial indicator after it is inserted into the barrel about 4 inches, then watch the dial as it is removed slowly.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
quote:

I agree. That's a wonderful collection of fine firearms.

Certainly worth a peek.

Zeke

Thanks for the kind words guys. Just remember, none of it happens without all the great gunmakers of past and present and the clients willing to have something built you just can't buy anywhere.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice LES. I appreciate the innovation.
The dial on your tool peaked my memory a bit.
I overcame a fear of precision simply because I was afraid to try something I was unfamiliar with, namely installing and setting the backlash on a racing set of gears for my Ford rear differential. Got it adjusted just fine and only 1/1000" under the minimum range.

Cheers to all who conquer. We've got several right here in this thread. Keep those inventions coming. Thanks again for the input.
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Opposite end of the sophistication scale to most tools shown here but here is a Berdan primer decapper I made up for my Kynoch 404J cases but obviously would do all other Berdans as well.

Just took a short length of spring steel pin I had to hand (remaining length shown in photo) that fitted a standard RCBS decapping rod and ground down exposed pin to fit one of the twin flash holes in Berdan cases i.e. a two diameter decapping pin. Case in shell holder and fully up in reloading press then easily knock out the Berdan primer, no mess, no damage to anvil, not speedy but quicker than any other decapping system I've seen for these primers. Pin has never bent or broken.

Posts: 3861 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make a box of goodies for reloading in the field. This is a complete set for neck sizing only from 17-375 Calibers. Newton had a similar hand press around 1910.

Balance Beam is good to 1/10 gr and powder measure pan holds about 110 grs

I wanted to load shells while on the road in my RV. This tool is available with dimensions on my DVD