Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on man. Keep em coming!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll get the pot shots out of the way first:

• The ruler you are holding has no gradations on it. How are you supposed to measure with that?
  • The files on the bench need to be carded.
  • That stock is the worst piece of Cocobolo I've ever seen and the grain is too straight through the wrist. It needs more knots.
  • You need a bigger butt plate. That one doesn't fit.
  • The ebony grip cap is obviously broken. Is it a used part? You should have paid the extra for a new one.
  • The forend on the bench has a hole in it and is too flat and thin to be comfortable. It needs an ebony tip on it anyway.
  • The checkering is cut so shallow you can hardly see it. You need to re-checker it with a bigger Dremel disk.
  • I can see the barrel channel is all wrong. That will take a quart of Gorilla Grip to fix.
  • I think you should have used an MAS 36 action to build this project on. Anything else is junk.

Now we've gotten that out of the way, can we see pictures of the rest of the rifle?

~

•  
    Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I will post some more when I get a chance tomorrow, it's a PITA to do from my phone.

I just figured with all of the nitpicking BS that has invaded the custom rifles forum, I needed to post some fresh rifle smut.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    +1 for Grenadier .... also; you're using your left hand - bet you have two of 'em and your digits are all thumbs.

How can that wood be dry? You're from FL; way to humid there to work with wood, can't possibly be a dry stick. I think you need to go synthetic or it's just gonna swell up on ya.

I'm calling Saeed to get the censorship cops, too.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    what is the geometry of that beautiful cheekpiece? By that I mean does it have some flats to it, or is it very subtly rounded all the way from top to bottom?

And just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of what seems to be a few small holes in the gripcap.

Looking forward to seeing the whole finished piece.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post

So long as Duane doesn't go on a bender, it should be done before too long.

one of us
    posted Hide Post

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by lindy2:
    what is the geometry of that beautiful cheekpiece? By that I mean does it have some flats to it, or is it very subtly rounded all the way from top to bottom?

And just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of what seems to be a few small holes in the gripcap.

Looking forward to seeing the whole finished piece.

Not sure about the cheekpiece, the rifle isn't finished so I haven't seen it in person.

The holes have something to do with the trapdoor grip cap. Good place to keep your stash when hunting in Colorado.

one of us
    Picture of TC1
    posted Hide Post
    That is stunning. Congrates to you and Mr Wiebe.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of srtrax
    posted Hide Post
    Looking good...
    I dont think the wood cops will be out on this one...Smiler

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Would the stock be considered a carbine
    at about 28" to 29"?

I like the design.

The Super 30 is going to be kind of brutal.Kenny

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Appreciate the kind words.

For comparison, the barrel is 25".

One of Us
    Picture of Evan K.
    posted Hide Post
    Wow, looks incredible!

I'm curious how long the fore-end is from the receiver face to the fore-end tip. Or do you prefer to measure the distance from the trigger?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Grenadier
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
    ...since Woodhits has not had the oppurtunity to grow great sagging jowels
    No doubt something we can all look forward to.

Nice. Please post pictures of the end result.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Evan K.
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the details. Looking forward to what's next.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Nice.The floorplates can look a little too hightech but that might be just my imagination.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Floorplates?

yes floor plate

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    It just looks too CNC like-the shape and overall look.It does not look like something from the early 1900`s to match the action,IMO.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    You guys are slacking. What about the screw slots.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of BaxterB
    posted Hide Post
    I love that whiplash grain in the buttstock.

one of us
    Picture of bwanamrm
    posted Hide Post
    Perfection in progress... look forward to seeing the finished rifle.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
    - Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Wait 'till a poster with initials DW views the grain flow through the wrist. I cringe now. Another one for the fire.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Actually, I discussed the project with Dave and he was very complimentary.

One of Us
    Picture of srtrax
    posted Hide Post
    Sorry Duane, did I say wood cops...I forgot about the floorplates cops...and the screw cops...oh, and did you send it out and have it rehardened. Just trying to figure out if you or your clients know what your doing. Wink Nice work as always!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    We did have it re-heat treated. I also brought in NASA to ensure 100% weld penetration on the bolt handle...

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    If you have NASA checking the welding, do you have NSA checking 24/7 to make sure Duane stay in his shop and work on it?
    Maybe you can get one of those cameras set up in his shop to be able to check on your phone and watch while he's working? Smiler

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The idea was to be able to custom fit the cavity for sights, hood, condoms ...whatever .

jumping

I gotta start hunting in better places....

Boyscout rifle? Always prepared!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Woodhits:
    We did have it re-heat treated. I also brought in NASA to ensure 100% weld penetration on the bolt handle...

And tensile strength as well? Wink

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Grenadier
    posted Hide Post
    The stock shows an amazingly light color for having been heat treated.

One of Us
    Picture of capoward
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grenadier:
    The stock shows an amazingly light color for having been heat treated.
    Believe he's referring to the action, not the stock.

Jim coffee
    "Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
    John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    custom fit the cavity for sights, hood, condoms...whatever

..... please hollow out the buttstock .....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Grenadier
    posted Hide Post
    I have seen many rifles nearly 100 years old that still had grip traps containing an original spare sight blade that was never needed. However, several years ago, I propped a rifle without a scope against a tree and it fell. The sight hit a rock and the sight blade was bent beyond repair. I didn't have an extra blade so I was done with the hunt that day. It would have been nice to have had another in the grip. It's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

Sight hoods are a different matter. My experience is that they fall off too easily and pinch your fingers when you try to reattach them. That is, if you can find the one that fell off. I don't use them any more. If one falls off it stays off.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Duane has progressed to the "red stuff" stage.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Beautiful color stain. I really like it.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    This is alkenet root/linseed oil solution,soaked in all that it will take. I then let it dry for a week, then use ship n shore sealer..again soak in all it will take...only then start with the finish coats.

It's a crap shoot just how much color change will take place. On this stock, looks like it took in a lot of red.

I find it important to whisker the grain with weak oxolic acid, final whiskering with plain water to nueteralize possible acid left over.

Can't find the powdered variety anymore, but Cabot "wood brightener" for cedar and redwood is concentrated liquid...seems to work just as well

I couldn't find any locally either. But did find some on Amazon. Was pricier than I remember though.
    Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Duane, how deep do you think the stain penetrates? Deep enough if you get a hunting type gouge that it will still be red, or would it have to be touched up?

One of Us
    Picture of Grenadier
    posted Hide Post
    Do I detect a Widow's Peak in the butt?

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    You mean for a bigger sight hood?

Duane,

Er, ugh ..... no. I was thinking of the other "hoods". Although my eyes aren't what they used to be but the important parts are still functioning real good!

Cheers,

Number 10