THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    A little different type of custom build . . .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little different type of custom build . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I had a very nice BRNO-made Persian Mauser action that I have wanted to have something built on for a good while. What I had in mind was a rifle chambered for an iconic cartridge, with a few bells and whistles, stocked in a synthetic stock that could be a good around field rifle. I was also determined not to drill and tap the front receiver ring since the Persian crest is so beautiful.

I decided to chamber the rifle in 8mm Mauser. To accommodate a scope I went with the EAW side mount. NECG front and rear sights. I have always liked the look of cocking pieces so I contacted Nathaniel Myers and got a cocking piece from him. Using a Wiser 3-position safety. Barrel is a Shilen barrel that will probably end up being 25". Timney trigger and sticking with the original bottom metal. I contacted Jim Kobe and he agreed to do the work.

Here is a picture of the action starting to come together. As Jim said, looks a bit like a 1930's Guild rifle. I hope to share more pictures as the build progresses.

Mike

Posts: 21203 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Seems to be word missing in describing the cocking piece you like the look of but assuming it is the Springfield type piece judging by the photo?

For the iconic 8mm Mauser cartridge will you be looking to load the heavier bullets rather than the 150-170gr bullets more commonly available or loaded in factory ammo?

Look forward to seeing more progress photos and the final product, looking good at the start.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is a 1936 Mexican style cocking piece. I plan to load 195-200 grain bullets for it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once all said and done, I think you will have a very nice rifle.

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's going to be nice. Can't wait to see it completed.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I wish the Smithson synthetic stocks were not so expensive. That style fits me so well.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely, but maybe a 1909 Argentine bottom metal with one of Wisner's straddle floorplates might add something to it.

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread made me look up the Smithson synthetic stocks. I hope OP doesn’t mind this digression too much, but what is the cost on those?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice Mike... not much on the 8mm Mauser but love the action.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Nice! I love that cocking piece. No flies on the 8 MM. It makes a notably bigger hole than the 30's.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Russ, what’s not to like about a 200 grain bullet punching a .323 hole at 2200-2300 fps? That’s the ticket.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the 8mm Mausers I have had shot very well with RL-15 topped with a 200 gn. Nosler Partition.

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russ, what’s not to like about a 200 grain bullet punching a .323 hole at 2200-2300 fps? That’s the ticket.

Resale if you decide to...

Except for the 6.5x55, the 7x57 and one can argue the 9.3's, they just don't catch the fancy of the American shooting public and languish on the retail market.

But that's what makes custom rifle building interesting, you can have it your way! Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Resale? I am the collector equivalent of a roach motel, they come in but they never seem to go out. Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Resale? I am the collector equivalent of a roach motel, they come in but they never seem to go out.

lol

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drm-hp:
All the 8mm Mausers I have had shot very well with RL-15 topped with a 200 gn. Nosler Partition.

Good to know. I was planning on trying 44-45 grains of RL-15 with 200 grain Speer Hot-Cor bullets. What grain powder charge have you been so successful with?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking start Mike, I just about dropped the hammer on a nice condition ZG47 in 8x64 but didn't do it, already having regrets, 8mm is definitely interesting caliber!!

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . a few update pictures from Jim. Just about ready for bluing. Looking good.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Very cool. Sort of similar idea to something I did also, except went stainless steel / synthetic stock, less bling and less distinguished action but in Left Hand. But I admire your tastes in rifles. You've had some beauties on display here that I've enjoyed, thankyou.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I like your style. I have a couple of FNs for their crest. I would love to find a Persian also.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sweet!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Any more pics you can update your post with, please ?

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
Was hoping you could have posted more update pics by now. I'm really keen to see how this turned out.
Is the rifle finished now ?
Could you post some full length pics please ?
Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome I love that M-36 cocking piece, Looking damn good brother, keep up the good work..those actions are getting hard to find these days. tu2

As to the best bullet for my 8x57 JS the 160 gr Barnes TX or its kin with a tip, is accurate, out penetrates the 200 or 225 bullets, works on deer and elk like a charm with quick kills and easy to read short blood trails..Give it a try!

A good 8x57 is as good as a 30-06 no better or no worse..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote