New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Photography
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that my son and I have our rifles I would like to get some nice professional quality photos of them.

Anyone have someone they can recommend and also any ideas as to cost?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howard
If you go to our web site and then to our Contact page you'll see an address for Klik Photo. Klik has done all my pics for at least 16 years. Very reasonable price's and excellent work ethic. He did all the web site pics except the Buffalo
D'Arcy

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.holtsauctioneers.com/about.html

Look at 1.16, this is how it should be done

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard

If I am not mistaken you have one of the finest gun photographers residing somewhere out there near you.

Mustafa Bilal

I believe he now goes by the name Turks Head Productions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mustafa Bilal

Quote: "I believe he now goes by the name Turks Head Productions."

Located in Lake City, WA.

Does a lot of photo work for Leupold.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Howard

If I am not mistaken you have one of the finest gun photographers residing somewhere out there near you.

Mustafa Bilal

I believe he now goes by the name Turks Head Productions.

Yes and I have received a quote from him.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did it exceed the cost of the rifles??? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Big Grin
+1

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

No but....................... Does fantastic work though.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Steven Dodd Hughes does this type work.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I can't stand it, I have to offer my two cents. I looked at Howard's photos in the other thread and examined the exif data in the worst one. His exposure was too slow, his lens aperture was too wide (low numerically), his white balance was off, his background was unfortunate and a tripod wasn't in the mix. That's the bad stuff. The good stuff is that his Panasonic is perfectly capable of high quality web work. Ambient light from an overcast day will fix his white balance, expand his tonal range and a few reflectors of white cardboard will reveal even the most muted shadow detail. A tripod and use of the self timer will dramatically improve sharpness. An aperture somewhere around f11 and lowest ISO available would be nice. A lot of very competent gun photographers stop down their lenses dramatically and I won't argue but I would not. All that is left is a bland background and a simple post processing program like the free Picasa (crop and straighten and not much else required) and you can keep people like myself at bay.

I should add that I was dazzled by Howard's rifles Smiler

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Gary Bolster in tricities WA.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, do you have contact info? He is driving distance.

Ramsgate, thanks for the tips.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
(H) 509 337 92223 (C) 509 629 2052 gbent@hughes.net

Thanks Duane

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Gary did us a big favor by doing the photo work on the Searcy Scholarship Rifle project...super fast, super good and FREE of charge. I can't say enough good things about him.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I didnt see anything wrong whith the pictures James did with TC1's 223!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
After I saw those photographs I told James he could probably make a living doing that. His reply was there wasn't enough hours in the day to complete the gun work on his books now.

BTW, that rifle and his photography work graced the cover of the ACGG winter issue!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, Gunmaker had a poll on here requesting people to vote on which background looked the best.

So, I would assume that he shot the Rifle against a green screen and then added the winning background using Photoshop.

He was careful to make sure the gun was basically all in one plane so that he had good depth of field. Whereas, in the Searcy Memorial Photo the plane of focus is much larger, and I have a feeling that a view camera with front tilt was used to keep everything in focus.

I believe one can purchase those digital backgrounds in a number of places, including Amazon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Whereas, in the Searcy Memorial Photo the plane of focus is much larger, and I have a feeling that a view camera with front tilt was used to keep everything in focus.

Do you mean the excellent photo in ForrestB's post? Exif says Pentax K10D @ ISO 100 and 1/180s but does not give the aperture but we can assume a whole pile of light.

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guessed wrong. But if I was going to shoot that I would have used my P2 (but I don't have a digital back for it).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
gbent@hughes.net

Thanks Duane

Could you double check the email? It bounced back.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's the contact info I have:

Gary Bolster
3579 Clodius Rd. Waitsburg, WA 99361
marster@hughes.net
509-337-9223

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Gary did us a big favor by doing the photo work on the Searcy Scholarship Rifle project...super fast, super good and FREE of charge. I can't say enough good things about him.

ForrestB,

Do you know who stocked this rifle? Was it Glen Morovitz of Newell, SD? I know he's done stuff for Searcy.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB,

Do you know who stocked this rifle? Was it Glen Morovitz of Newell, SD? I know he's done stuff for Searcy.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
Duane Wiebe

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote