Find
Notify
Tools

Easy milsurp Mauser trigger improvment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Grinding the 1st bump is not the way to go, that 1st bump has a leverage factor over the 2nd edge which makes it lighter to pull than the 2nd stage. A better alternative is to build up the contact point between the trigger bump and the reciever. I tried this temporarily with a shim and it makes a much improved pull. Would silver solder on the reciever suffice for this as a more permanent mod?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Or heavy duty epoxy such as JB Weld. Did this on two Mausers, also lightly polished engagement surfaces, greatly improved shootability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at my Mauser trigger yesterday and figured out what you did, that adding to the first hump would most likely offer more leverage, for better trigger pull.
But, I figure it will also pull more of the sear out from it's engagment with the bolt, using the same amount of trigger pull distance, perhaps providing something simular to a hair-trigger, but not necessarily that sensitive.
I assume there is a correlation between the sizes of the humps, and their locations, that allow a suitable trigger pull for it's intended purposes.
Both humps may have to altered in some manner, (unknown to me) that would allow for better, and safe, pull. Just guessing, of course. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A simple approach to improving Mauser triggers is selectively replacing parts. Mauser trigger parts are cheap, sometimes free if you know sombody who has installed an aftermarket trigger. Using a spare Mauser sear and trigger I changed a k98 trigger pull from eight to four pounds. Then the k98 sear went into my 48 Yugo and lowered the pull from unmeasureable to seven pounds. Another good trick is to polish the bottom of the receiver where the trigger humps bear with fine emery paper. Best to study the trigger mechanism before altering. I have seen uninformed hump grinding lead to hair triggers, long, creepy, single pulls, and even INCREASED trigger pull. Hope this helps, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An often overlooked improvement is replacing the trigger pins. New ones are fairly cheap and can do a lot to improve pull. Some come with a rough finish, so make sure you polish them.I agree with a thorough polishing of all contact surfaces and not removing the first hump. That first hump adds a great measure of safety as well as adding leverage. Careful stoning of the sear to reduce engagement will lighten pull.

Posts: 3680 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
Remember to check safety after working or changing parts on trigger. With an empty gun Pull trigger with safety on then take it off to see if gun fires. Also check to make sure trigger returns to stat position after almost firing gun. I also hit the gun on floor with safety off to see if it will fire. Remember empty gun first.
Steve

<eldeguello>
posted
Believe it or don't, but my M1909 Argentine came from the factory with a trigger so great, I decided not to change it at all!! Yes, it is two-stage, but as long as you know what to expect........ [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
Believe it or don't, but my M1909 Argentine came from the factory with a trigger so great, I decided not to change it at all!! Yes, it is two-stage, but as long as you know what to expect........ [Big Grin]

Likewise, my original trigger is very nice. I rather like the way it is. Also, I sanded the sides of the trigger with fine sand paper to remove any drag from the sides. I gather a tiny drop of oil between the reciever bottom and the humps may help a bit. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote